News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.9K     10 

North York City Centre (Yonge & Sheppard)

Can you provide a real-world example, in The City of Toronto of the transfer of 'air rights' entirely off-site?

I searched for anything similar to the above, in Toronto and couldn't find it. The only examples I could find involved either:

- Selling strata rights directly over a given parcel, to still build on said parcel, but a different owner than the underlying building/land. (railway lands)

- In theory, in the above scenario, a cantilever (self-evidently, this would be from a development on an adjacent site)

- Finally, the transfer of air rights within a contiguous or adjacent parcel from one portion of said lands to another. The example given here was ROCP (Residences of College Park)

In summary of the above, I'm unaware of the wholesale transfer of 'air rights' from one free-standing parcel of land to another, non-abutting parcel in Toronto.

References:

In the 1980s, Marathon.HR Development land-assembled a large lot - Yonge to Frizzel, Sheppard to Bogert,... to construct Phase 1 Nestle Canada Building, conveyed land for Beecroft south extension and land for Albert Standing Park,... Phase 2 Office Building never proceeded due to Office market tanking in 1990s. Eventually Phase 2 site was sold to Menkes about 10 years ago,... during Menkes argument for more density at 4800 Yonge, they cited they should be entitled to Density Transfer from Albert Standing Park - retroactively, renegotiating 30 year old deals that they were never a part of originally, and when air-rights didn't exist! Anyways, olt decision doesn't mention this when granting Menkes 4800 Yonge 12.07FSI Double Density

Going back to my "favourite" project,... Bazis Emerald Park got 8.6FSI on-site, which is over the 4.5FSI maximum allowable within North York Centre Secondary Plan and above the 5.98FSI maximum allowable for site with direct Subway connection (Tridel HullmarkCentre & Menkes GibsonSquare). On the other side of Beecroft Ave is 1-2-storey old Lansing United Church built in 1951,... which is within the North York Centre Secondary Plan which allows up to 15-storey on their site, but they like the area and don't plan to relocate,... so the church sold their Air-Rights (Density Transfer) to Bazis Emerald Park in exchange for about $6.7m to rebuild their Church Community Centre (which became 1/2 City owned since Section 37 Community Benefit involved). And of course, Bazis being Bazis,... screwed over the church by later trying to overcharge for Construction by $1m; so Church found different Project Manager and Construction companies,... since the City protected the Church by ensuring Bazis deposited the $6.7m as a condition of getting their Building Permits for Emerald Park

Final Report for Emerald Park and Lansing United Church - search for "Transfer"

1714926022387.png

Last edited:
^Thanks! I wonder how changes to zoning will affect things on these adjacent blocks. There is 4 units/lot and 800m around subway stations as high density. Here are two really bad maps showing the rough area affected. Plus there is change to use.

One other factor that may affect development pressure is the fact that the number of Iranians admitted annually as economic migrants has risen to 20,000 from 11,000 starting this year. As well there has been an increased number of refugees from Islamic Republic since the riots. Finally there are all of the ‘tourists’ who come and just never go back.

BTW I chatted to someone over lunch who said that the Weston Hall at ML Square gets a lot of Iranian events and it is seen as a real community asset. For some reason I thought that it was a bit of a white elephant. I know nothing! Lol

IMG_1718.png

IMG_1719.png
IMG_1723.png
IMG_1722.png

Last edited:
4936 Yonge Street, a retail plaza at "Upper Madison Ave", is listed for sale at $18 million

Rare Generational Corner Property for Sale on Super Prime Yonge Street! Just North of Yonge & Sheppard. Major opportunity to own a coveted CORNER property with 92.14 Feet of Frontage on Highly Sought-After Yonge Street. Retail plaza currently located on the property has attractive income. Lots of upside including development Potential. Fantastic Portfolio piece for a prudent investor and/or developer. Must See! Don't miss Out! 11,453 Square Foot Corner Site on Very Busy strip of Yonge St, with heavy foot traffic. Close to all amenities! (35173404)

c8314496_1.jpg

Not a bad idea, there's already a ton of schools of different types in the area. There's probably ample space in some of the existing office towers that have vacancy.

Err,... actually many moons ago, Seneca College Newtonbrook/Willowdale campus was near southeast corner of Yonge & Sheppard - behind Willowdale Plaza,... it was like a 2-level structure,... and at one time, they actually had serious plans to merge all their various campuses into one redeveloped Seneca College Towers at this site! - but they sold out in late 1990s,... and the land became Minto's Radiance & Spring

1715272202134.png

source: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...-seneca-colleges-planned-news-photo/502821961

Last edited:
Very interesting tidbit of history there, thanks for that ! A shame that didn't happen in the end.

Back