News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 625     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Noisy Condo Tenants

Log the noise from the dog and submit it to the Property Manager. Write down all the incidences over a week's period and then submit them. In the meantime, keep your log up, and if you don't hear from the PM about any action, submit the next record. Follow up with emails and phone calls. Make sure you ask the PM to keep you appraised concerning what action has been taken.

Your rights as an owner exceed that of a dog. If it's a nuisance to you, make it known.

When I asked the sale guy at Cityplace Presentation Centre about the noise situation from upper neighbors he looked annoyed and said it wasn't an issue -no surprise coming from a salesman.

The tenants (from Hell?) haven't thrown any wild parties (thank God) in the last 4 weeks but their small dog never seems to sleep. I'm waken at all hours of the night. It drops things (toys?) on the floor almost every 10-20 minutes (day or night) and I can hear it running across my ceiling when I'm in bed. In fact I was waken so many time last night that by 2:30am I had to turn on my aircon (on a cool night) to filter out the noise. I can live with the late night, weekend howlings from morons in the amenities courtyard but this dog is really stressing me out.

Isn't the amenities suppose to be closed by 12am? There shouldn't be any noise there after late at night if it's closed by 12. I guess it's mostly issue with bad neighbours rather than city place? If you have bad neighbours, it doesn't matter where you live. I've even had an aversion to townhouses once because I saw on tv where a couple moved out because they couldn't stand the noise from their neighbours. Most builders only provide bare minimum for sound proofing. Unless you're living in an expensive building like Shangri-la or something, then they will probably provide better sound proof walls. Another place I can think of is Pier 27, on the exterior at least because it will be noisy at night when the ship comes in.

It's a hit and miss whether your neighbours are bad or not. I don't think it matters what kind of structures you live in, if your neighbour is bad, you will have a hard time. If you live in a detached or semi-detached house and your neighbour parties or vandalizes, you have issue on your hand. If you live in townhouses, the neighbours are loud, you will hear them. If you live in a condo and your neighbours make noise, you will hear them. Only 100% way of avoiding bad neighbours is probably live on a farm where your house has no neighbours for miles away.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters what kind of structures you live in,

A structure of poured concrete or cinder block walls will isolate noise a lot more efficiently then a single stud wall covered with 5/8" drywall.
The lowering of this minimum standard benefitted no-one but the builders.

A structure of poured concrete or cinder block walls will isolate noise a lot more efficiently then a single stud wall covered with 5/8" drywall.

Completely true ... I was talking to a friend who sold his condo and moved into an older rental building probably built in the 1970s just off Yonge St.

In the older building, the walls between units and the partition wall b/t the LR and bedroom are all concrete. He hears nothing now vs. his new condo which only had drywalled studs between units.

I'm not sure if it was a lowering of minimum standards, or just new construction methods didn't require the need for concrete load bearing walls anymore.

Well, older homes in general are built better than newer ones I think. Older craftsman seem to put more effort in their work. The newer buildings in the past few decades seem to try and cut corners.

Completely true ... I was talking to a friend who sold his condo and moved into an older rental building probably built in the 1970s just off Yonge St.

In the older building, the walls between units and the partition wall b/t the LR and bedroom are all concrete. He hears nothing now vs. his new condo which only had drywalled studs between units.

I'm not sure if it was a lowering of minimum standards, or just new construction methods didn't require the need for concrete load bearing walls anymore.

There are condo's being made without concrete walls between units? Where are these as I've never ever seen or even heard of that? It's horrifying!

Can you provide a source or evidence of this? This does not sound like it would meet fire code, I have a hard time believing that a single stud wall is separating one suite from another. I'm quite sure that concrete or cinderblock walls are standard in Toronto highrise residences in at least the past 20 years. That said, noise can still travel through these materials.

There are condo's being made without concrete walls between units? Where are these as I've never ever seen or even heard of that? It's horrifying!

I didn't even think that would be legal from a fire containment point of view.

Can you provide a source or evidence of this? This does not sound like it would meet fire code, I have a hard time believing that a single stud wall is separating one suite from another. I'm quite sure that concrete or cinderblock walls are standard in Toronto highrise residences in at least the past 20 years. That said, noise can still travel through these materials.

which condos are only divided by drywall?...Last I seen all the condos are build up with blocks or prefab concrete dividers.

Not at all. I live in Cityplace and the units are remarkably soundproof. I had a neighbour for a while who liked to throw parties quite often. I never heard a thing through the walls. The only problem is when my other neighbour chooses to open their patio door and play loud, beat-driven music at 8am on the weekend...

Not at all. I live in Cityplace and the units are remarkably soundproof. I had a neighbour for a while who liked to throw parties quite often. I never heard a thing through the walls. The only problem is when my other neighbour chooses to open their patio door and play loud, beat-driven music at 8am on the weekend...

I guess you didn't read the comments from the following member:

Cityplace sound proofing is absolute garbage. This is the reason I moved out of Cityplace. No one in their right mind would want to own property in any of these buildings. Purchasing in these buildings is a bad investment, and things like crappy sound proofing will not attract long-term owners.

My neighbour was extremely noisy and would often arrive home at 3am with 5 of his buddies and continue to party until 5 or 6am. Luckily, I was good friends with the owner below his unit as well. Together, each time one of us heard him making noise, we would contact each other and both make noise complaints. Eventually, or time, there was enough noise complaints written that formal letters were send from management office instructing him to be quieter.

It worked, for the most part. There was still the odd night where he would be partying too loudly, but all in all things got better.

Now I live in Spire, where the sound proofing is far better and before I moved in I had my real estate agent knock on the doors of the unit next door to get the dogs to start barking, while I listened from the master bedroom.

Long story short: do your due diligence when purchasing a resale unit, and don't buy in cityplace.

Well, whether I read his comment or not, I was going by my own experience living in Cityplace. These walls aren't drywall (I know from trying to hang pictures) and they're very well soundproofed. I guess he must be in a different Cityplace building from me.

Look at any condo or conversion built in the past 10 years, you won't find poured concrete between suites.
Off the top of my head:
the printing factory lofts
the garnment factory lofts
edge lofts
the tannery
feather factory
all have single stud drywall partitions between suites.

which condos are only divided by drywall?...Last I seen all the condos are build up with blocks or prefab concrete dividers.

'Last you seen' must have been 10 years ago.

Back