Toronto Nicholas Residences | ?m | 35s | Urban Capital | Core Architects

Walk around this neighbourhood and you'll see hundreds of fliers posted from a group aggressively fighting this proposal.

Didn't the St Michaels project receive a lot of hostility when it was first proposed?
Nimbys fear change and the city is evolving.

Didn't the St Michaels project receive a lot of hostility when it was first proposed?
Nimbys fear change and the city is evolving.

...and the NIMBYs 'forced' a lot of changes in the St Mikes proposal, which they should have done, as the first lousy proposal sat right on top of the park area at the south end.

This is the thing: Pemberton asked for a ridiculous plan at St Mikes so that when they changed the plans to something more sensitive they looked like community champions. In this case the developer is asking for 44 floors so that when they propose a cut down to 30 or so, they'll look reasonable too. The 44 floor thing is just a starting position. Whatever eventually gets approved here will not be that high, and it won't necessarily have a bigger footprint than the 44 floor version either.

The thing is that nimbys jump at anything thats high. The St Michaels towers ended up higher then its original proposal.

They did - but the developers looked like champions for offering to move the density they were allowed (that's a much bigger site than this one) up to the north end of the site. To do that they would have to go tall. The NIMBYs were happy to exchange park land on the south side for height at the north end - so no problem.

In this case the site is small, and will be zoned for much less density. The only way to get the community onside here will be to scale the proposal back to fewer floors. (And whatever the developer is eventually allowed here by either the City or the OMB, the locals will not be happy, but I can guarantee you that it will not be 44 floors that they get.) The buildings at 40 and 50 Wellesley east of Yonge are a better example of what is going to be allowed here than the U Condos site is.

Remember: NIMBYs are best when they have a constructive YIMBY-minded approach/strategy in place, when necessary (cf. the Gladstone gang).

Re the existing point tower: are you talking about that La Place Marie boomerang-y thing? Essentially, it's a 60s fait accompli and it provides housing (rental, I believe, not condo), and that's probably enough to seal its safety from being knocked down for the Chedingtonistas--besides, being kitty-corner from Graeme Stewart's Tower Block thinktank, it'll more likely be green-retrofitted with maybe a touch of ground-level intensification. (In fact, one'll notice that they recently demolished some dormant low-level concrete service-lumpish thing at its west end.)

^ The lump they demolished used to be a swimming pool. They are now putting in some vistor parking and I believe a new entrance to the parking garage. They are also currently removing a lot of brickwork and replacing it with siding. It will definitely be less attractive than before. I like the grounds of the building facing St. Mary St. and I hope they don't mess with it.

gotta give the residents' group for their NIMBY efforts :D

St Nicholas Steet Condo Proposal

I'm a resident on St. Nicholas Street and I have to reply to all of those who think our objection is pure NIMBYism.

The fact is that a 44 storey condo tower will result in the destruction of a
19th century planing mill (where logs were cut into wood planks for construction). No the building isn't designated as a heritage building currently. But should that matter? I think this is a peice of Toronto history worth preserving. The Victorian row houses were the original workers cottages for the mill. The histories of these buildings are intrinsically linked - to demolish one is to irrevocably damage the historical significance of the others. I think this is a bit of history worth preserving, particularly at a time when Bay, Bloor & Yonge is filled with high end boutiques, condos and hotels.

Yes, the street is downtown in a highly dense area. But the street itself is not a major thoroughfare - it is practically not much bigger than a lane. It is filled with low rise homes (and some businesses) and is remarkably quiet for being downtown. People stroll, walk their dogs and, in the summer, I've seen children playing and riding their bikes in the middle of the street (under the watchful eye of their parents). Given that we are surrounded by high intensfication, on Yonge, Bay and Bloor, in my view, it is even more important to give all residents in the area a breathing space. Many people in the neighbourhood walk down St. Nicholas as opposed to Bay or Yonge - simply because they like it so much! I've been told this personally many times.

One of the reasons that Toronto is such a great city to live in is its unique neighbourhoods that give the city its character and vibrancy. St Nicholas is one of these neighbourhoods.

So the ultimate question is - intensification but at what cost?

Personally, I think the proposed condo is too a high a cost. For those of you who disagree, please come visit our street.

If someone is in the area, could they go around and take these down?

That's pathetic...you don't live in the area but want someone else to do your dirty work, which greatly affects the residents here.
How would you like it if the tables were turned?

You would always be labeled a nimby. Work with the applicant and come to an agreement.

Back