News   Apr 26, 2024
 113     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 340     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 521     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

If they get passed the tax presumable would begin on july 1st 2014. Metrolinx can begin the process immediately as needed funding will be minimal at first, resulting in the funds piling up anyways. for reference, only $4 million is being spent on the Scarborough subway next year. along with the staging of projects, it would be fine. $2 billion annually would have the DRL paid for in 3.5 years, but it would take 11 years to reach completion.

This is a massive endorsement. An establishment Liberal endorsing an NDP candidate. Hopefully this shows that progressives will coalesce around a single candidate.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/smitherman-latest-to-endorse-chows-potential-mayoral-bid/article15818512/

This endorsement isn't surprising. Smitherman did an interview on CP24 where he said that there doesn't seem to be any Liberal jumping into this race, and there would be no way he would support someone who is right-winged.

I apologize in advance for this remark but I laughed when I heard that Smitherman announcement. Why? Because it just shows how egocentric and out of touch political circles are with the general public. As mjl08 mentioned it is interesting in the sense that it may be interpreted as a sign of what is happening behind closed doors as people align themselves within these political circles. The general public on the other hand doesn't care at all what Smitherman does or who he supports.

This isn't about Smitherman's endorsement per se, but that the rigid divide between the Libs and Dippers in Toronto's municipal landscape could subside in an effort to oust Ford.

There is a reason why Pantalone didn't drop out and support Smitherman, or why Hall fought to the bitter end against Miller in 2003. The NDP and Liberal establishments in Toronto loathe each other because they are forced to compete against one another in local MPP and MP contests. There are too many grudges between the camps, too many accusations of "turncoats" or NDPers who moved to the Liberals and vice versa. It should be no surprise then that they can't come together in municipal elections.

But the fact that a member of the Toronto Liberal establishment is endorsing a sitting NDP MP and widow of the former leader could be a sign that progressives can coalesce - and combine their army of volunteers, phone lists and money - to fight a faux-populist behemoth that is tearing apart the fabric of the city.

Last edited:
Well said. Like you, I too see the Smitherman endorsement as fairly significant, not because of what Smitherman means to "average joe," but what this means in the mechanizations of local (party) politics.

Well said. Like you, I too see the Smitherman endorsement as fairly significant, not because of what Smitherman means to "average joe," but what this means in the mechanizations of local (party) politics.

This is a Liberal (Smitherman) supporting a NDP (Chow).

Not as surprising when a Liberal (Nunziata) supported a Progressive Conservative (Ford), back in 2010. Hopefully, that endorsement will not be repeated.

Norm Kelly is also a Liberal (and yet Rob Ford made him deputy mayor).

Mammo defected from the NDP and later equated left-wing politics with communism (especially his former party) before he had brain surgery.

There was Howard Moscoe (NDP) and Mel Lastman (PC) endorsing Josh Colle (Liberal).

Last edited:

I think that's wishful thining. Libs have ben methodically trying to push Furious George out there. Why do you think they pushed him to run for mayor? Why would anyone want to be a figure head rounding up school children (#TOCOUNCIL) when he was second in line to be Premier? And when the feds gave the By-election nod to Freeland instead of a well known Toronto Center name?

p.s. There are a few libs trying to direct it against Chow, but camps are already mobilizing behind Tory, a much less polarizing and pragmatic individual to represent the entire city as a whole.

Back