News   May 09, 2024
 170     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 378     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 646     1 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

yea i rlly dont get y hollister isnt at least expanding into yorkdale and square one.
only two malls i still feel really need them!

yea i rlly dont get y hollister isnt at least expanding into yorkdale and square one.
only two malls i still feel really need them!

Considering the kinds of malls that have A&Fs in the states, I'm surprised Yorkdale and Square One don't have them, and both should have Hollister as well.

Starbucks is now open at the Eaton Centre (Right next to Best Buy)

Their third location there (and the fourth (fifth?) within the TEC-Dundas Square area)

IKEA needs to develop a workable urban format store before they move into a space like the Eaton Centre. They have strict square footage requirements. They've had some urban stores before in Manhattan and even a temporary one in Toronto last year, but those are just showrooms and they didn't carry inventory to take home.

IKEA already has workable urban format stores - Hong Kong has three of them, which are located in busy shopping centres with limited parking. Not sure exactly how they work, but they do.

Considering the kinds of malls that have A&Fs in the states, I'm surprised Yorkdale and Square One don't have them, and both should have Hollister as well.

I don't know that A&F has much of a disposable income right now. Their stores are performing horribly in the United States, they recently closed their upscale "Ruehl 925" brand and they are now holding sales and sending out coupons which for many years was not in their business plan. I can't see then rapidly expanding anytime soon. According to Wikipedia, Abercrombie and Fitch is opening at Square One in Spring 2011, however given the companies financial forecast as of late, I can't see them rushing to expanding any of their brands at this time.

Their underperformance in the US is probably due to having too many stores, which eats into their operating costs.

thats tru and they have hollisters and abercombies although not so much abercrombie in the shittiest malls there where its not needed to be in that mall at all
and also they have so many of them in such close proximities to each other where in canada all of them are at a suitable distance from each other and i think the gta could afford two more abercombies and hollisters in yorkdale and square one easily...
and maybe even a hollister in mapleview mall

In Korea/Japan there's these two chains called Muji and Loft. Both seem like small footprint Ikeas. Pretty cool places.

Uniqlo had great clothes in Korea but even their XL size was kind of like a largish medium in North America.

Uniqlo had great clothes in Korea but even their XL size was kind of like a largish medium in North America.

Then that would be good for tiny people like myself. There are places where XS is too big for me. Thank you very much, vanity sizing!

Yeah, I'm sick of everything getting sized-up for super-sized North Americans. There are definitely enough Asians and generally fit people to support more reasonable clothing sizes.

I think it's more retro than ugly. Retro in a good way; not depressing retro. It's also a mish-mash of various rennovations from past decades.

Back