News   May 09, 2024
 169     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 438     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.7K     4 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

And for customers who can't quite afford Harry Rosen or Brooks Brothers. A little steep for me.

They're opening Brooks Brothers there? I thought it was going to be somewhere in the business district?

As for parking and IKEA: Most parking downtown is PAID PARKING. You don't want that with IKEA.

Yes and no, I think their best bet would be to make their delivery options more attractive, and that should cut down on the need for parking. No argument that some parking would be needed.

And it's not like IKEA sells only large things that need to be moved by car. It would work.

IKEA needs to develop a workable urban format store before they move into a space like the Eaton Centre. They have strict square footage requirements. They've had some urban stores before in Manhattan and even a temporary one in Toronto last year, but those are just showrooms and they didn't carry inventory to take home.

Something tells me they want to get into the urban areas, but are testing the waters and trying to figure out how. I think it's only a matter of time.

They really don't seem at all equipped for that sort of thing - even ordering furniture off their website is difficult, as not a lot is in stock and the delivery fees are crazy expensive.

Practically anything but Sears would be a step forward. But is it still necessary to have an "anchor store" these days in a place such as the Eaton Centre?

Something tells me they want to get into the urban areas, but are testing the waters and trying to figure out how. I think it's only a matter of time.

About 15-20 years ago they had a downtown store in Montreal (in Place Alexis Nihon) but in recent years I have never seen them with a real store downtown anywhere in the world. They do sometimes have 'pop-up stores' - like the one here on King East last year but I strongly doubt they will move to downtown stores. IKEA stores use LOTS of space and space downtown is too expensive.

Yep, Stuart Weitzman is taking over the old Maternity Thyme location at the Eaton Centre

Attachments

• stuartweitzmantec.jpg
    stuartweitzmantec.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 198
About 15-20 years ago they had a downtown store in Montreal (in Place Alexis Nihon) but in recent years I have never seen them with a real store downtown anywhere in the world. They do sometimes have 'pop-up stores' - like the one here on King East last year but I strongly doubt they will move to downtown stores. IKEA stores use LOTS of space and space downtown is too expensive.

Well when I say they might be thinking of an urban format, I think they might only carry smaller products that can easily be carried home on transit.
I could see them having a display of their large furniture, where you can see and feel it, and then order it to the store, so you don't have to go to a different location to pick it up.

Well when I say they might be thinking of an urban format, I think they might only carry smaller products that can easily be carried home on transit.
I could see them having a display of their large furniture, where you can see and feel it, and then order it to the store, so you don't have to go to a different location to pick it up.

Are you basing your statements on inside knowledge of what Ikea's plans are or are you offering your own ideas of what they ought to do? (BTW, I would love an 'Ikea Boutique' in a more convenient location so I am not arguing with the idea, only saying that as far as I have seen elsewhere or heard Ikea has no interest in moving away from large suburban stores.)

Jack and Jones is currently under construction in the Oshawa Centre. La Senza is also closed for construction, perhaps this location will also become PINK by Victoria Secret as there are already 4 other La Senza locations in Oshawa. Lastly, both Rodeo Jewellers and Costa Blanca have vacated their spaces, hopefully for more upscale retailers!

According to the website, Bath and Body Works is "coming soon" which I assume will take the place of Costa Blanca"

Are you basing your statements on inside knowledge of what Ikea's plans are or are you offering your own ideas of what they ought to do? (BTW, I would love an 'Ikea Boutique' in a more convenient location so I am not arguing with the idea, only saying that as far as I have seen elsewhere or heard Ikea has no interest in moving away from large suburban stores.)

Definitely just my opinion on why they offered those temporary urban format stores, and what I think they could do if they wanted to.
And you're probably right, I just like to be a little bit more optimistic.

Back