News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 478     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Sears (the American company) is in serious financial trouble after a horrible holiday season.
There are questions about it continuing on as a going concern. They are closing 100 stores (some are K Marts) and they need to raise capital.
Per Wikipedia, they own 73% of Sears Canada, which looks to be worth about $700 Million, which is about 20% of Sears US market cap. A sale is a possibility!

Last edited:
Sears' items are expensive anyway. You can usually get same product from another store for a lesser price. They should bring down their prices and improve products quality.

:(

Sears' items are expensive anyway. You can usually get same product from another store for a lesser price. They should bring down their prices and improve products quality.

How often have you browsed prices there? My wife and I frequently find they have the best combination of price and quality for a number of items, especially children's clothes and appliances. They price match a lot of stuff, too.

Drove by Sherway on the weekend. Something's being built next to Sears. Anyone know what that might be?

Is it the oft-rumoured Whole Foods?

I think I noticed the same thing- not the spot where whole foods is rumoured to go though.
Construction was visible in a space along the exterior between Pickle Barrel and Sears. No idea if whatever it is will be connected internally or if it will just have an exterior entrance.

Could Sak's 5th Ave be coming to Eaton Centre?

It's just conjecture at this point but LeftCoaster on SSP wrote this a little while ago

LeftCoaster Dec 16, 2011, 7:51 PM

There might be a major change coming to Yonge Dundas square that will bring a lot of Caltrane's favourite "chichi" people to the area.

Its all very "hushhush" right now but I'll break the news when it's appropriate.

Then today urban dreamer tweeted:

So Saks is taking over the Sears at Eaton Centre? Any truth to that rumour?

Judging by some of his posts, it appears Left Coaster may work for/have connections with Cadillac Fairview given his posts and info he divulges, and well, say what you want about UD, but the man has a knack for finding all sorts of info well before anyone else does.

Saks's makes more sense as the anchor of 1 Bloor (I think BlackTowerTV or someone like that first mentioned this about a year ago when the Bloor 2 x 80s towers by Oxford rumours started to pick up steam), but I think it would really increase the profile of Yonge/Dundas.

Anyway, has anyone else heard something?

Could Sak's 5th Ave be coming to Eaton Centre?

It's just conjecture at this point but LeftCoaster on SSP wrote this a little while ago

Then today urban dreamer tweeted:

Judging by some of his posts, it appears Left Coaster may work for/have connections with Cadillac Fairview given his posts and info he divulges, and well, say what you want about UD, but the man has a knack for finding all sorts of info well before anyone else does.

Saks's makes more sense as the anchor of 1 Bloor (I think BlackTowerTV or someone like that first mentioned this about a year ago when the Bloor 2 x 80s towers by Oxford rumours started to pick up steam), but I think it would really increase the profile of Yonge/Dundas.

Anyway, has anyone else heard something?

Saks on Yonge/Bloor would kill Holts and the Westons will do anything and everything to prevent that from happening.

Saks on Yonge/Bloor would kill Holts and the Westons will do anything and everything to prevent that from happening.

Perhaps they can turn Holts into Selfridges (which they own)? Holts (if you look at it carefully) isn't that great aesthetically. The clothes, obviously, are expensive, and geared mostly to women. Selfridges is bigger, has WAY more selection than Holts and is a much better shopping experience. I've always considered Holts to be a "fake" department store (like Hazelton Lanes is a "fake" mall). The only reason I go there is to spritz myself with the expensive cologne you can't buy anywhere else. Bring in Saks if it means it will up Holts's game.

Didn't see that coming. Perhaps just relocating...
Maybe that's where the new J. Crew will be going eventually.

Not sure if it's big enough if they want to sell both men's and women's. Maybe the guys Banana Republic store is going to move upstairs?

Not really sure who this is but Javier Simorra from Barcelona will be opening up their first N.A. store at Bayview Village. Looks like a fairly high end retailers.

^ The story started last year when they were looking for a buyer for the N.A. stores. It appears that didn't happen so they're closing them.

Back