1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 907     1 

News from the Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a pure hatred of Jews by the Muslim population in the Middle East.
what lead to the hatred? humiliation of one of the most sacred site of muslims (mosque Al-Aqsa) from last 60-70 years. jews were persecuted in Europe and in Asia through out 19-20 century, if you are forgetting during those tough times muslims gave shelter to alot of jews.
yeah alot of right wing/conservative muslims hate jews. those people hate everyone, they hate muslims too. its like right wing white folks hating any other group of colored people.

And here are your Arab loving Israelis.

So lock the Palestinians into tiny ghettos without any hope of bettering their lives or their children’s lives for the crime of being born Palestinian. Great strategy there.

The cycle of violence is absolutely terrible. I despair for the way out because opinions keep hardening on both sides. Hamas or Hezbollah or Islamic Jihad launch terrorist attacks targeting Israeli civilians. Their government feels pressured to respond in a punitive manner. There are inevitably lots of civilian casualties and that only results in more recruits for terror groups in Palestine.

Arguably the best way out is for kind of international intervention in Palestine to help build their state capacity and end the influence of the Jihadists. But nobody is interested in taking on that mission. So the war goes on.

I put almost no faith in the accuracy of Xitter posts anymore – especially when they have a blue checkmark.

There were few other public sources I could find to offer; but I have every reason to believe it is accurate.

Frankly, I don't think the West should be distracted from Ukraine. The situation in Israel and Palestine is not going to be resolved with this conflict, nor by peaceful means. Both sides are uninterested in peaceful coexistence. The geopolitical significance of this conflict is much lower than Ukraine.

I think the latter statement will rest on what third- party players choose to do.

The U.S. has moved a carrier group in; and warned Iran and Hezbollah to stay out of the conflict; the latter almost certainly is not at this juncture.

Iran, and allies in Yemen and Iraq are publicly saying they will attack U.S. targets if the U.S. gets involved in any way.

I would be cautious in taking such threats too seriously; yet, I would be cautious about dismissing them entirely.

The cycle of violence is absolutely terrible. I despair for the way out because opinions keep hardening on both sides. Hamas or Hezbollah or Islamic Jihad launch terrorist attacks targeting Israeli civilians. Their government feels pressured to respond in a punitive manner. There are inevitably lots of civilian casualties and that only results in more recruits for terror groups in Palestine.

Arguably the best way out is for kind of international intervention in Palestine to help build their state capacity and end the influence of the Jihadists. But nobody is interested in taking on that mission. So the war goes on.

Yeah, that’s the thing. It’s also been clear that terrible political actors like many within Likud have worked against more moderate organizations like Fatah/PLO because the status quo serves their purposes – perpetual fear, perpetual control. That strategy has inevitably fuelled extremism and terrorism.

There’s little hope.

I’d give them their militants to get the civilians released, and then build a wall across Gaza and the West Bank with a 2 km deep dead man zone on the Gaza side. And once and for all, cancel all permits for Arabs to enter or work in Israel. Cancel all trade. Let the UN feed them.

This is actually pretty close to the situation in Gaza today. It's basically an open air prison. That hasn't helped. Hamas is deplorable. But they are also strengthened by the terrible conditions in Gaza. Unfortunately on both sides (right wing Israeli governments and Islamic extremists like Hamas) benefit massively from the increase in violence.

This is actually pretty close to the situation in Gaza today. It's basically an open air prison. That hasn't helped. Hamas is deplorable. But they are also strengthened by the terrible conditions in Gaza. Unfortunately on both sides (right wing Israeli governments and Islamic extremists like Hamas) benefit massively from the increase in violence.
i have disagreed with you in the last page or two but I agree with this. with all the sanctions and little aid they only look up to Hamas as their "savior" because they are fed up of the oppression.
both sides need to consider things. may be West/middle east can sit them down and talk to both sides. Israel can stop bombing them every few months and Hamas can give up their weapons. investment of proper infrastructure for Palestine and elimination of sanctions would solve alot of problems. but sadly we can only wish.

i have disagreed with you in the last page or two but I agree with this. with all the sanctions and little aid they only look up to Hamas as their "savior" because they are fed up of the oppression.
both sides need to consider things. may be West/middle east can sit them down and talk to both sides. Israel can stop bombing them every few months and Hamas can give up their weapons. investment of proper infrastructure for Palestine and elimination of sanctions would solve alot of problems. but sadly we can only wish.

I think you need to separate how Gaza and the West Bank are dealt with. There's no settlements in Gaza. Hamas has been in control for a decade and a half there and has a lot more control and latitude than the PA in the West Bank. And what have they done with it, beyond pushing violence?

Indeed, a lot of the complaints about the mistreatment of Palestinians (settlements, broken areas, heavy controls) are largely exclusive to the West Bank. Ironically, less violence emanates from there.

Yes, Israel needs to be pressured. But, Palestinians need to realize that killing civilians is not going to engender sympathy. There'd be far less sympathy for Israel if Hamas had killed a thousand soldiers and cops than hundreds of concert goers.

Also, if you want to see how hardline Hamas is, read what they did to a Palestinian peace activist who reached out to Israeli peace activists. In all of this, we shouldn't pretend like Hamas has the interests of the Palestinian people at heart. They run a theocracy motivated by violence against their neighbours. Not all that different from the Taliban or ISIS.

Not all that different from the Taliban or ISIS.

To wit:

It should be noted this is a very different attack from past Hamas attacks. Substantially more brutal. And a much higher willingness to record their own brutality. A lot of the Hamas fighters were teens and twentysomethings. I think growing up in the age of ISIS has changed what they perceive as acceptable in war.

I think growing up in an open air prison has changed what they perceive they have to lose.

That doesn't explain the disparity in violence between Gaza and the West Bank. Gaza has no settlements, no Israeli checkpoints internally and is completely controlled by Hamas. West Bank is a Swiss Cheese of PA control, has lot of checkpoints and the nuttiest settlers. Yet, we see far less violence emanating from the West Bank and it tends to be aimed Israeli state elements rather than civilians.

Gaza was handed over as a model opportunity for Palestinians. A year later they voted in Hamas. This back and forth will go on until the Palestinians learn to distinguish between terrorism and insurgency.

Gaza's history over the last two decades only reinforces the Israeli bias that Palestinians are more interested in killing them than making peace. It may not be true. But Palestinians really need to sideline Hamas to make any traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back