News   May 01, 2024
 933     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 275     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 343     0 

New TTC Subway Cars

I think it would be nice for the TTC to install hand sanitizer dispensers in subway stations, like those that can now be found at some mall food courts and universities (I've seen them around Ryerson). If TTC does it, make sure it smells good like Purell, not the odourless, sticky sanitizers from Ryerson.

UPI

Link to article

Steering wheels trump toilets in germ test

LONDON, Aug. 27 (UPI) -- New research in Britain has shown that car steering wheels may carry twice as many germs as toilet seats.

In tests, steering wheels averaged 41,600 germs, compared with only 17,400 on a toilet seat, Sky News reported.

However, surveys revealed that only 13 percent of people cleaned their cars regularly, while some never bother to clean it at all.

Tesco, the supermarket giant that commissioned the research, said men clean their cars more than women do, and Scots are shown to have the cleanest cars on average.

"People spend a lot of time in the car cabin and are in constant contact with the wheel, so naturally germs are passed on," said Daniel Kyle, car care buyer for Tesco.

Kyle said germs multiply quickly when food and dirt is transmitted onto the wheel.

I think it would be nice for the TTC to install hand sanitizer dispensers in subway stations, like those that can now be found at some mall food courts and universities (I've seen them around Ryerson). If TTC does it, make sure it smells good like Purell, not the odourless, sticky sanitizers from Ryerson.

Great idea!

If Siemens opened a subway car production line in Ontario, as they are now proposing, and if the city could get it within the 416 they would get a lot of its money back in property tax from the factory and the homes of the workers. It might in turn make BBD offer to repatriate the subway line assembly to Downsview.

Hell Siemens could put in Vaughan - it might help pay for the Sorbara Extension.

i don't see what kind of difference hand sanitizers or anti-microbial surfaces will make, for the most part. you're much more likely to catch something in an aerosolized form (someone sneezing or breathing near to you) than you are to catch something from a surface. as long as you're standing in a crush load on a tin can underground with poor air circulation you're fairly likely to contract something sooner or later

If you pick up a newspaper that another forum member has left behind - folded neatly and placed on the seat - you could pick up their germs too.

Unless we introduce a policy of mass sterilization.

You want a good argument for mass sterilization?
kevin_federline.jpg

What crock. Most hand sanitizers don't even work properly anyways - you need 70% alcohol to kill bacteria, and most aren't even at 40%.

Purell is 62% ethanol and most hand sanitisers work very well... as well as soap and water provided they're used as directed.

i don't see what kind of difference hand sanitizers or anti-microbial surfaces will make, for the most part. you're much more likely to catch something in an aerosolized form (someone sneezing or breathing near to you) than you are to catch something from a surface. as long as you're standing in a crush load on a tin can underground with poor air circulation you're fairly likely to contract something sooner or later

I'd think quite a bit of infection is transmitted and picked up via your hands.

From what I understand about it -- SD2 is right -- and actually it might be a little understated. When you sneeze you spray out and the moisture and the viruses get deposited on tables, chairs, rails, etc. You then typically pick them up via your hand, and eventually you touch a your face and eyes -- this is where I believe a majority of transmissions occur. Of course -- they could just sneeze directly on you too :p

In previous generations there used to be signs saying NO SPITTING in public places. This, I believe, was to reduce airborne infections such as TB. A century or more ago major public health initiatives and sanitary improvements protected the water supply and improved sewage removal. This helped raise life expectancy considerably.

TTC cars get the nod
Council divided as Canadian-made deal passes 25-18
Thunder Bay mayor in tears on hearing good news
Sep. 26, 2006. 07:18 AM
JOHN SPEARS
CITY HALL BUREAU

In a decision that moved the mayor of Thunder Bay to tears, Toronto city councillors last night endorsed the TTC's decision to buy 234 subway cars from Bombardier's northern Ontario plant for $710 million without seeking competitive bids from other suppliers.
After a gruelling day-long debate, councillors voted 25-18 to go with the contract, which proponents say will mean 300 jobs for five years.
"I guess you'll have a nice trip home," a supporter of the Bombardier deal told Thunder Bay Mayor Lynn Peterson as a small tear trickled down a cheek.
"Every job counts," Peterson told reporters. "Somebody is employed, can pay their mortgage or feed their kids. It doesn't matter if it's in my city or yours."
With a Nov. 13 election in the offing, Mayor David Miller and city councillors cranked up the political rhetoric during a raucous council session.
"I'm shocked, utterly shocked as a Torontonian, as a proud Canadian and as the mayor of Toronto, that there's even an argument about this," Miller told a lunchtime rally organized by the Labour Council of Toronto and York Region.
"I think it's shameful to play politics with people's families, lives and jobs. Thunder Bay's a great city in our province. It needs this plant, and if the people of Thunder Bay are going to be able to live in decency and dignity, it needs the high quality jobs there, the high-tech jobs, and it needs Toronto's business."
City council doesn't vote directly on the choice of supplier, but must approve financing terms.
While German-based Siemens said it could have supplied the cars for a lower price, two consultants hired by the TTC said the price negotiated with Bombardier was a reasonable one.
But the Bombardier contract has been a flashpoint at city hall.
Rick Ducharme, the former chief general manager of the TTC, resigned from his post in June, charging in a letter that TTC chair Howard Moscoe meddled in the controversial decision to allow Bombardier the exclusive rights to outfit the TTC with the subway cars, without going to public tender.
The sole-source approach was a major concern to several councillors, including mayoral candidate Jane Pitfield. Opponents argued the city might have saved hundreds of millions going to an open market, especially in view of the MFP computer-leasing scandal that rocked city hall a few years ago.
"The public expected this to go to a public tender," Pitfield told the Star. She also said worrying about jobs in Thunder Bay isn't Toronto's concern."A decision based on keeping jobs in Ontario or Canada should have no bearing on the decision, because we need to be more concerned about best value for residents in the city."
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty and a federal government representative also signed off on the Bombardier deal. Miller noted that the federal and provincial governments will pay much of the contract's cost.
"If I as mayor stood up and said `We're going to take $500 million from the federal government and the provincial government and we're not going to use it to create jobs in Ontario — we're going to use it to create jobs in China — the federal and provincial governments would never give us another nickel for public transit," Miller said before the final vote was cast.
Peterson defended the deal as being in Toronto taxpayer interest. "They got it all. Everything that was asked for was delivered: a great car, leading-edge, very safe, comfortable, at a good price that's been checked by two outside consultants. (It's) a win-win."
Councillor Howard Moscoe, who chairs the TTC, said the commission had considered a competitive tender but changed its mind after discovering that Siemens, a likely bidder, makes its subway cars in China.
"We got a good deal," he said.
"Going to the market is not a guarantee of the best price," Moscoe said.
Opponents complained bitterly about the process that led to the agreement.
"It comes down to transparency and open government...this deal is clouded," said councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Ward 34, Don Valley East), who added it's impossible to know what the best deal is without bidding.
While Bombardier is the only Canadian manufacturer at present, an open contract could prompt another company to set up a Canadian plant to bid on the Toronto contract, Minnan-Wong said.
"The ideal situation is we have an open contract with Canadian content provisions in it," he said. "You get the best price and protect Canadian jobs. It could be a win-win," he added.
Councillor Mike Del Grande (Ward 39, Scarborough-Agincourt) accused fellow councillors of hypocrisy for insisting on made-in-Canada subway cars while buying foreign-built cars for personal use.
"Even the mayor drives a Prius, which is built in Japan," he said.

I was just watching the Spoons' Romantic Traffic video (long story) and I decided that those old G cars really did look good. Has there been any thought to making the new subway cars red like the originals?

Let's go further, and install operable windows.

Incidentally, was smoking ever allowed on the subway? Imagine the fiendish fire-hazard havoc in tossing a lighted cigarette butt from an open Gloucester car window, nyuk nyuk *PLINK*

Back