News   Apr 30, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 

New TTC Chair and Board

I have a feeling it may be Stintz, if only to have her stickhandle whatever shape or form the Eglinton whatsits eventually takes. Stintz, I recall, was not opposed to the subway portion of the project.

I see Holyday as either Deputy Mayor or Budget Chief. I don't see Ford's brother being in charge of much except to act as an informal "whip" to muster a rightish majority on Council and to act as his hatchetman, Ford's RFK to (and please don't slam me for this analogy) to his JFK.

Stintz is an interesting choice. She became far more moderate over the course of her time in office, even riding her bike to work. She might be a choice everyone could live with.

Stintz is an interesting choice. She became far more moderate over the course of her time in office, even riding her bike to work. She might be a choice everyone could live with.

Was it Stintz who made a big stink (lol) a few months ago about the Eglinton LRT and how it should be a subway, at least in the central section?

If so, she'd be a great chair for the TTC.

I don't think so, but I could have missed it. She's quoted in this article about the LRT talking about the 'exciting possibility of narrowing roads' once buses are removed from the section that will be tunneled.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lrt/article1664931/singlepage/#articlecontent
Nevermind.. She stated her concerns with the above ground sections and would like to see more of it buried - but she's a proponent of the LRT.

I don't see Ford appointing her to chair given these circumstances. He may in fact hate TC as much as I do if not more.

Nevermind.. She stated her concerns with the above ground sections and would like to see more of it buried - but she's a proponent of the LRT.

I don't see Ford appointing her to chair given these circumstances. He may in fact hate TC as much as I do if not more.

He generally hates transit altogether, but likes subways because it got him votes.

He generally hates transit altogether, but likes subways because it got him votes.

And if he wants to stay in the mayor's chair, all it would take is 2-3 more stations in his first term to show that he's making a difference and he'd win with an even bigger margin.

Torontonians want subways. I'm surprised this forum doesn't seem to acknowledge that Transit City angered the majority of the suburbanites it was meant to serve.

Most suburbanites have only a vague idea of what Transit City is.

Holyday seems to dislike the idea of the on-street section on Eglinton through Etobicoke, so we could end up with just the underground section. Even that would be pretty awesome, though.

Most suburbanites have only a vague idea of what Transit City is.

Holyday seems to dislike the idea of the on-street section on Eglinton through Etobicoke, so we could end up with just the underground section. Even that would be pretty awesome, though.

Holyday is adamant about the subway - I mean originally his ward was supposed to get one under Eglinton.

I went to high school at Eglinton/Islington and the majority of my friends' parents bought property there in the early 90s to take advantage of the price surge which would happen when the subway gets to their door. Then it was shortened, then it was cancelled.

They were very upset when suddenly the TTC abandoned those plans entirely and decided to stick a glorified streetcar through their ward. One of them is the head structural engineer for the TTC. He's told me wonderful stories on how the TTC does their ridership studies and consultations. I'll give you a clue: if they wanted to stick a teleportation system on Eglinton they could pull the studies pointing to its advantage over anything else.

And if he wants to stay in the mayor's chair, all it would take is 2-3 more stations in his first term to show that he's making a difference and he'd win with an even bigger margin.

Torontonians want subways. I'm surprised this forum doesn't seem to acknowledge that Transit City angered the majority of the suburbanites it was meant to serve.

I'm willing to forgive those who do not fully understand why varying transit modes are important to the health of a city and the purposes they serve.

Back