News   Apr 26, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 947     1 

New Traditionalist Architecture/Architecture Uprising

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Came across this movement for New Traditional architecture arising in Europe. I think it is kind of interesting how this is being spun as right wing. I think the caution to avoid kitsch is warranted, but I have to admit I find a lot of the modernist vernacular pretty impractical, especially flat roofs and glass curtain wall.

2011 Czech Republic

bkvrtgmezfxapht.jpg

I've heard the desire for new buildings to be built in traditional styles being painted as right wing too, and it's ludicrous. Traditional styles are only considered traditional because in the 20th century the design world rather arbitrarily decided that architecture had to throw out existing ideas and start from scratch. But there's nothing about symmetry, ornamentation, or proportion that's fundamentally traditional. Or politically conservative.

Those buildings in Prague look fantastic. There's nothing inauthentic about them. I think that there will come a time when the architecture world has moved beyond the idea that only styles we currently call contemporary are acceptable or authentic. We'll look back on the current era as a time when architecture was immature and insecure. The current thinking about architecture can't last forever. The idea that we'll never create another Prague is depressing.

While I don't agree with every point in this article, it's a great critique of contemporary architecture and the dogma that surrounds it.
Why You Hate Contemporary Architecture

Last edited:
Still, when it's framed as "The End Of Ugliness", you know there's a, uh, "subtext" there.

Look: there's nothing wrong with building a la the above if it's a matter of rebuilding and restoring historic centres lost through war and the like. But here's what I see as the irony and the key to the association with far-right movements: the above approach is profoundly *ahistorical*, even "anti-historical". Almost as if it seeks to liberate these time-honoured "traditional" styles from the dead hand of "history". As if academic historians and connoisseurs were, by fixating on the chronological "pastness" of the past, complicit in a plot to render dead what ought to be virile and full of eternal life.

Like, if you look at a lot of these sites and groups advancing the cause of "traditionalism", they illustrate examples of the past with no data whatsoever--re when they were built, re who designed them, re other matters of architectural or historical provenance. Because other than in generic "yesterday good; today bad" terms, it doesn't interest them. Because it gets in the way; it's a distraction. And especially when it comes to millennials/post-millennials, a lot of them might not even have the *tools* to engage to the "pastness" of the past--that is, they gained their "architectural appreciation" entirely by way of visual electronic memes, presented in terms of an "eternal now". They're incapable of visualizing the past in dynamic terms of historical, chronological space and time; only through the immediacy of their existence.

So with that in mind, let me offer a preemptive method of confronting "ugliness", and combatting our perception thereof. And it has less to do with building anew, than with our perception of the preexisting. It's about developing our ability to "read" preexisting conditions, to know how things came to be, to know *when* things came to be, to be able to visualize the past of what surrounds us in dynamic, historically-conscious terms. The way we built in 1854 or 1894 or 1934 or 1974 or 2014, the way everything assembled itself, and all the quirks and puzzles and paradoxes involved. It's about embracing and appreciating he "past-ness" of the past, rather than just viewing said "past-ness" as datedness.

It builds knowledge, it builds curiosity, and it builds a certain peace with preexisting conditions. Because a lot of the time, I feel the anxieties felt are through an absence of such knowledge.

Remember: there's a reason why historical groups and preservationists advocate for saving the past, rather than for building anew in the style of the past.

And with that historically-aware, past-centric foundation, maybe we can flip the "pro-traditionalist" argument upside the head by advocating for *this* guiding principle instead. That is, it's not about building, but about not demolishing.

I think the whole framing of this architecture as being "right wing" is one of those takes that you only read on the internet. If you told anyone who isn't a member of NUMTOT that trying to bring back old architectural styles was associated with a political stance, they would think you were on drugs. And rightfully so.

I think the whole framing of this architecture as being "right wing" is one of those takes that you only read on the internet. If you told anyone who isn't a member of NUMTOT that trying to bring back old architectural styles was associated with a political stance, they would think you were on drugs. And rightfully so.
Actually, the condemnatory framing is only stupid when it's applied to architecture that *already* exists--that is, I've seen *actual* c18 Baroque knocked as ugly expressions of reactionary values by on-line anti-traditionalist stylistic tribalists. That is, these days there are morons who want to demolish 18th century Baroque buildings on behalf of their AI Brutalist fantasies, just as there are morons who might want to demolish New City Hall on behalf of some AI fantasy version of John M. Lyle's civic-square proposal of 1911.

The real stupidity is the fixation upon building new stuff as if old stuff doesn't matter. Maybe that's common among younger people who got their primary architectural conditioning through virtual worlds and, well, let's say this: in an era of commonly available CAD tools that are no longer the strict preserve of professionals or institutions, it's easier then ever to be, from a pretty young age, a Sunday Painter Architect creating one's own fantasy designs. So choosing one's style is like choosing one's identity; and to behold preexisting buildings as a "generalist" is too prosaic.

The best approach to appreciating architecture is to go to a set location and be confronted with a base of "1877, Gothic revival, such-and-such architect", "1960, International Style office building, such-and-such architect"; "1929, Art Deco office building, such-and-such architect", "2008, neomodern condo, such-and-such architect" as a foundation for deeper knowledge and appreciation, rather than just "Beautiful, ugly, beautiful, ugly" and leaving it at that.

Reactions: T3G
It might be nice if we took seriously the idea of building in traditional styles so that when it is done, it isn't only being done as the kind of cheap kitschy style you see in the suburbs.

Dated, not news, and a silly piece to boot.

Building architecture that people like is not a war on progressivism; and if Donald Trump says its Monday May 29th today that won't make it untrue.

It might be nice if we took seriously the idea of building in traditional styles so that when it is done, it isn't only being done as the kind of cheap kitschy style you see in the suburbs.
I think this is especially important in well maintained city centers in the old world. There's a place for modernist architecture (somewhere where I don't have to see it) but if heaven forbid there was a fire or something and an old building was destroyed in one of these centres, I would much rather its replacement was built in a style that fits the street rather than shoving some glass box in there.

I think this is especially important in well maintained city centers in the old world. There's a place for modernist architecture (somewhere where I don't have to see it) but if heaven forbid there was a fire or something and an old building was destroyed in one of these centres, I would much rather its replacement was built in a style that fits the street rather than shoving some glass box in there.
Though "a style that fits the street" doesn't mean some piece of absolute faux--there's plenty of examples of contemporary-yet-respectful out there. But in practice, if it were all about a more, shall we say, literalistic "style that fits the street", the best thing to do is to rebuild as-was, retaining existing walls and features where possible, yet equipping with contemporary (and hopefully fireproof/disasterproof) features inside.

Or, think of Montreal's recent Place D'Youville fire as an example of such a disaster (and given how "involved" it was, and the casualties involved, I'm not so sure if rebuild-as-was will be the solution arrived at there)--and think of the just-steps-away Pointe-à-Callière museum as a model for "contemporary-yet-respectful", without resorting to "new traditionalist" kitsch.

Dated, not news, and a silly piece to boot.

Building architecture that people like is not a war on progressivism; and if Donald Trump says its Monday May 29th today that won't make it untrue.
How is it "dated"? It's only a couple of months old. And I adore Kate Wagner; she's kind of like the Greta Thunberg of architectural criticism, the sort who takes a knife to the "small d!ck energy" of reactionary vulgarians.

And also, when it comes to "building architecture that people like": first of all, the way I see it, the *real* silent majority is non-committal, because people start out fundamentally "neutral" in their likes vs dislikes, With that neutrality comes an open-endedness t/w the circumstances that prevail, and maybe a touch of god-bless-this-mess re any defects in said prevailing circumstances. Old or new, our built world is fascinating in its diverse imperfections, IOW. Like, if I think of myself as a child, when it comes to the environments that surrounded me and which I passed through, I just "took everything in", fundamentally speaking. Maybe we should reconnect with the "everythingness" to that "taking everything in".

And secondly: with that in mind, it shouldn't be about simple "building"--but about "beholding", as an open-ended preemptive gesture. Like, once you "take everything in", that's a gateway drug to the will to know.

Or, to repeat what I said above...

The best approach to appreciating architecture is to go to a set location and be confronted with a base of "1877, Gothic revival, such-and-such architect", "1960, International Style office building, such-and-such architect"; "1929, Art Deco office building, such-and-such architect", "2008, neomodern condo, such-and-such architect" as a foundation for deeper knowledge and appreciation, rather than just "Beautiful, ugly, beautiful, ugly" and leaving it at that.

Oh sure, I don't disagree - trying to rebuild what was lost as accurately as possible with contemporary features is hands down the best option. But a lot of the time, I feel that option would never be on the table.

This is one of the key reasons why I think Toronto's city centre just doesn't work. It is a disharmonious mish-mash of conflicting styles that don't blend well together. One of my favourite examples is the stretch of Queen from Yonge to University; traditional buildings like Old City Hall and the eastern part of the Hudson's Bay complex stand shoulder to shoulder with the western part of the Bay complex (the one on the southeast corner of Bay and Queen), the Eaton Centre, and The Sheraton Centre. Half of the time, you're walking past something that is nice and grabs the eye; the other half of the time, you hurry on as urgently as possible to get away from the imposing monstrosity you're next to.

And also, when it comes to "building architecture that people like": first of all, the way I see it, the *real* silent majority is non-committal, because people start out fundamentally "neutral" in their likes vs dislikes, With that neutrality comes an open-endedness t/w the circumstances that prevail, and maybe a touch of god-bless-this-mess re any defects in said prevailing circumstances. Old or new, our built world is fascinating in its diverse imperfections, IOW. Like, if I think of myself as a child, when it comes to the environments that surrounded me and which I passed through, I just "took everything in", fundamentally speaking. Maybe we should reconnect with the "everythingness" to that "taking everything in".

And secondly: with that in mind, it shouldn't be about simple "building"--but about "beholding", as an open-ended preemptive gesture. Like, once you "take everything in", that's a gateway drug to the will to know.

Or, to repeat what I said above...

Except that the evidence suggests the above is not true.

People have a scientific preference for symmetry. We prefer it in people too, not just buildings. Our right eye and our left eye desire to see a thing or a person as mirrored to the right and left of centre.

So a preference for a door being roughly on-centre, and windows equi-distant to the right and left is quite literally human nature, just as we prefer a person to have a right and left eye equidistant from their nose which ought to be centred on their face.

Likewise we can demonstrate that a host of other preferences which have been molded over millennia supercede any one generation of architect's taste.

This does not mean architectural style is fixed in stone, or that we can't evolve new materials etc.

One can prefer Romanesque or Gothic or Victorian or Deco which aren't particularly alike, and one could find a new evolution of architecture that would equally belong in that conversation.

But most modernism lacks appeal to the majority because its breaks from all those things we've learned people naturally appreciate; its not a natural shift that incorporates some new materials, a slight variation in the degree or detail of ornamentation, but rather an arbitrary choice to go against the public preference for no reason other than to do so.

To be clear, I can find plenty of 'modern' buildings I like, as can most people. But if you offer a random sample of styles across every class of building type from SFH to Commercial office to industrial and you ask people to rank them, on balance, the modernist/brutalist/international will finish at the bottom and the classical/victorian/deco etc. will finish at the top.

Last edited:
Except that the evidence suggests the above is not true.

People have a scientific preference for symmetry. We prefer it in people too, not just buildings. Our right eye and our left eye desire to see a thing or a person as mirrored to the right and left of centre.

So a preference for a door being roughly on-centre, and windows equi-distant to the right and left is quite literally human nature, just as we prefer a person to have a right and left eye equidistant from their nose which ought to be centred on their face.

Likewise we can demonstrate that a host of other preferences which have been molded over millennia supercede any one generation of architect's taste.

This does not mean architectural style is fixed in stone, or that we can't evolve new materials etc.

One can prefer Romanesque or Gothic or Victorian or Deco which aren't particularly alike, and one could find a new evolution of architecture that would equally belong in that conversation.

But most modernism lacks appeal to the majority because its breaks from all those things we've learned people naturally appreciate; its not a natural shift that incorporates some new materials, a slight variation in the degree or detail of ornamentation, but rather an arbitrary choice to go against the public preference for no reason other than to do so.

To be clear, I can find plenty of 'modern' buildings I like, as can most people. But if you offer a random sample of styles across every class of building type from SFH to Commercial office to industrial and you ask people to rank them, on balance, the modernist/brutalist/international will finish at the bottom and the classical/victorian/deco etc. will finish at the top.
So true. And there's research to back that up. It's been a century since the Bauhaus movement and longer than that since the rise of modernism. Architects have been trying to convince the public to prefer modern styles ever since. They have failed.

"People prefer traditionally designed buildings" - YouGov
In a YouGov survey to determine whether the public prefers traditional or contemporary buildings, a massive 77% of respondents who selected a design, from a choice of 4, chose traditional architecture over contemporary styles. Only 23% chose contemporary buildings.

New Poll: Americans Overwhelmingly Prefer Traditional Architecture Over Modern for Federal Buildings
An overwhelming majority of Americans – more than 7 in 10 (72%) – prefer traditional architecture for U.S. courthouses and federal office buildings.

Y'know, the way we're talking about architecture here, it'd be as if the primary goal of heritage conservation districts wasn't to save and retain old buildings, but to advance "traditionalist" principles of design. Or like tearing down, say, original 30s dwellings in a Home Smith neighbourhood is perfectly fine as long as the replacement follows the same "Old English" styling--so before long, we might have a whole street of "Old English" dwellings built this century where there were once dwellings of the 20s and 30s, but oh!, it's a whole lot better than if it were those boxy "Modern" houses. And it's a sign that the neighbourhood is *alive* rather than a dead artifact of the 20s and 30s; a demonstration of the "timeless appeal" of Old English

Which is a, er...*inane*, getting-it-all-backwards way of going about it.

And speaking of boxy "Modern" houses, maybe the ultimate demonstration of that kind of ahistorical stupidity was this BlogTO piece which referred to this as a "mid-century masterpiece"

Of course, you really have to squint to notice the opening fine print "While not authentically mid-century".

Hey, they could have labelled it “contemporary”—but noooo, “mid-century”. Yeah, I guess on behalf of a dumb Millennial clientele who wants something labelled “mid-century” without the inconveniences of authentic mid-century, and for whom names like Peter Dickinson or Jerome Markson or James Murray might draw blanks relative to, I dunno, Ferris Rafauli or something. (Or like if yesterday’s “enlightened” clientele might have bought Frank Lloyd Wright homes and restored them, today’s high-minded parvenu might be more content w/building “contemporary” FLW homes according to some notion of “original plans” or just plain "in the spirit of".)

And it illuminates the problem w/applying stylistic categories in total disconnection from historical actuality—as if architectural style were less chronological taxonomy than stylistic cosplay. Which goes as much for the modern as for the traditional these days.

And likewise, in the past, BlogTO posted some Forest Hill listing making a big deal out of how it looked like something out of the 18th century or something or another—left unspoken was whether the house was a new build or a presumably interwar Forest Hill original, which’d make a *big* difference re such impressions. (Of course, the fact that the real estate “staging” of these houses almost invariably make them look insufferably yuppie-new doesn’t help.)

The *exterior* is actually the most decent part (though its primary allusions are more interwar than, uh, “mid-century”). But as presented here, it’s almost an afterthought and a token mandated bow to “civic design”. After all, it’s a real estate listing: it’s geared to the buyer, not the beholder. And to a buyer for whom private spheres are more important than public spheres: they have little sense of “the common” except in self-serving terms. And their impression of “masterpiecedom” and domestic architecture is drawn from popular style magazines and TV channels: places that sell celebrity and “aspirationism” that are very interior-focussed or “sanctum-focussed”. The exterior may partake in the diverse richness of the neighbourhood, but the interior is just so much hot air under the delusion that *it’s* what’s important here. It’s just part and parcel of the narcissistic sterilization of our everyday under the delusion that it’s “discernment”—like choosing our own news feeds, choosing our own Spotify playlists, and losing all sense of the open-ended “bearing witness” that once made us party to ever-unfolding diversity. The only “context” that matters is our individual own, and those which directly serve the same. We’ve “selectivized” our way into bland pods and silos. Thus domestic architecture becomes “real estate”: entirely a matter of “would I buy this”, rather than one being able to thoughtfully reflect upon what surrounds us regardless of whether we’d buy it or not.

And *that* is what lies at the core of today's dumbed-down mass taste for traditionalism *and* modernism.

Last edited:

Back