News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

New Streetcar windows wont open?!

if Ford is voted as mayor you won't have to worry about any streetcars.........

Why what i he going to do?

Chaulk it up to Darwin.

streetcar-forum1.jpg

Couldn't resist. :)

Streetcars did have screens or grills covering the open windows. However, due to problems with the screens becoming a barrier for passengers using the windows as an escape route, the provincial government prohibited screens or grills on public transport vehicles of all kinds.

s0071_it1450.jpg

The grills were removed.

streetcar-4706-14.jpg

Last edited:
While on the window topic... thank god they are getting rid of the ability to open windows!

The other morning a teen girl in front of me decided to open the window. Nothing like cold air hitting your face when you are already cold!

Yea I'm pretty disappointed with the new subways and streetcars. I hate how we just keep getting more and more freedoms taken away everyday.

I'm glad the windows won't open any more. On current subways and streetcars, with AC and all, it's unnecessary and in fact detrimental to have windows that open.

Most of YRT's Orion Vs and all of Viva's bus fleet have windows sealed shut. I have ridden plenty of sealed-window buses over the years, and the interior environment is comfortable all year round. The A/C is more than capable of keeping the interior nice and cool.

I find that the sealed-window buses are more comfortable in summer, because otherwise (as many others have pointed out), people open the windows, even when the AC is on.

The downside is that in on hot days, when the A/C fails, the bus needs to be taken out of service. I worry that the TTC may not do this, and it would result in rather uncomfortable streetcar rides.

Last edited:
I know what Ford is proposing, I was just kidding. But since he is always preaching about saving m,oney, how foolish would it be of him to scrap the streetcars considering all the money spent on them and all the money it would take to rip up all the tracks and tear down the overhead wires. Besides I had no idea Ford was running a dictatorship in this city. :D

Transit City: $$$$$$$

---

Ford's Transit Plan:

Subways = $$$$$$

Discontinue Some Streetcars = $$

More Busses = $

More Drivers = $$$

Broken Contracts/Quick Resales = $$$

Back