Speed of First Drop: Approximately77 miles/hour 125km/hour
Ride Capacity: Approximately
1,545 guests/hour

Coaches

* Three 32-passenger trains
* Eight cars, with four seats per car, per train
* Prototype seating

Ride Design

* Fiberglass and steel coaches with lapbar retraints and interlocking seat belts

Manufacturer

* Bollinger and Mabillard (B&M)
Monthey, Switzerland

Investment

* Approximately $26 million

Hmm looks a bit like S:ROS at Six Flags New England.

Height and layout are a bit disappointing since it's nothing we can't go ride south of the border. 3+ minute ride time is impressive, as are the actual trains, quite innovate.

This will surely be a favourite at the park. All in all, a pretty significant announcement but very far from "record breaking" or earth shattering or anything to that effect.

Angle of Descent: 85 degrees
I believe that's the steepest descent of any hyper coaster in the world. This ride is going to be amazing! I'm going to Cedar Point this fall to preview what Wonderland's getting.

Here is a comparison to some rides at Cedar Point:

Height: About 25 feet taller than Magnum
Length: About 200 feet longer than Magnum
Speed: About the same as Magnum
Angle of descent: 5 degrees steeper than Millennium Force
Ride time: About 30 seconds longer than Millennium Force

I'd say the ride ride scores most of its point on the bunny hills and impressive first drop. It's tied for the 7th tallest ride in North America, tallest in the former Paramount Parks, and tallest Cedar Fair ride outside of Cedar Point. It would be the third tallest ride at Cedar Point. With any luck, Wonderland will become Cedar Fair's second flagship park.

I told you all it was a B+M Coaster!!!

Anyways, this new ride looks amazing. I'll finally be going back to Wonderland next year after a 2 year absence. There's finally something making me come back.

NEW FOR 2008
WONDERLAND'S BIGGEST INVESTMENT IN HISTORY

Vaughan, Ontario, 2007 - Canada's Wonderland prepares to change the landscape for thrill seekers in 2008, with the addition of Canada's Biggest, Fastest and Tallest roller coaster - Behemoth. Following 18 months of planning and construction, Behemoth will premiere at Canada’s Wonderland in May 2008.

At over 5,300 feet (1,616m) in length, Behemoth sets the stage for thrills with a climb to a height of 230 feet (70.1m), followed by an adrenaline pumping 85 degree drop with speeds reaching 125 kilometers per hour in 3.9 seconds. The coaster will then take riders through the ultimate coaster experience with high speed twists and turns, including double banked flat loops (horizontal loops) and eight extreme drops. Intensifying the action packed adventure, the ride will feature prototype open-air seating that will allow all riders to experience an unobstructed view of all the thrills and excitement on one of North America's best coasters.

"Behemoth will be the biggest investment in Canada's Wonderland's 27 year history at approximately $26 million dollars," said Raffi Kaprelyan, Vice President and General Manager, Canada’s Wonderland. "With the addition of Behemoth, we wanted to compliment our already impressive line-up of more than 200 rides, shows and attractions with a world class roller coaster that will showcase Wonderland as one of the premier amusement parks in our industry."

Behemoth will be the 15th roller coaster at Canada’s Wonderland. Construction is currently underway, but those who cannot wait until spring may take a virtual ride on Behemoth at canadaswonderland.com. Visitors to canadaswonderland.com may also access exclusive Behemoth updates and features, like virtual renderings, ride statistics and online fun.

Behemoth was designed by Bolliger & Mabillard of Monthey, Switzerland, a recognized industry leader in roller coaster development.

Canada's Wonderland is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Fair owns and operates eleven other amusement parks, five water parks, one indoor water park resort, and six hotels. Cedar Fair also owns and operates Star Trek: The Experience, an interactive adventure located in Las Vegas, and operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, California under a management contract.

behemoth_hills_800x600.jpg

rendering_aerial_landscape.jpg

behemoth_lake_1600x1200.jpg

Let's hope so. Though I do wish this one had at least 1 inversion but I'm sure I won't care when i'm shitting myself on that first drop.

Apparently it took 17 months to plan this ride, that was well before the Cedar Fair acquisition... Is this really a product of Paramount's doing? After all one would assume once contracts were signed Cedar Fair would have had no choice but to go ahead and build it when they took over. You'd think Intamin or even Morgan would be their choices for hypers. Oh well :)

Apparently it took 17 months to plan this ride, that was well before the Cedar Fair acquisition... Is this really a product of Paramount's doing? After all one would assume once contracts were signed Cedar Fair would have had no choice but to go ahead and build it when they took over. You'd think Intamin or even Morgan would be their choices for hypers. Oh well :)

Well I'm sure Cedar Fair will put an Intamin coaster in this park eventually.

My prediction is in 2009 we will probably have our Splash works redesigned and new elements added.

2010 - We will probably add another flat ride.

2011 - My guess for another coaster. This is the earliest year I believe they would install a new coaster due to the large price tag they're paying for Behemoth. I think by this time they will demolish the Dragon Fyre. That ride is so shitty and its only a matter of time that it's removed to make space for a new coaster.

From what I've heard Paramount was going to move one of their mediocre coasters from another one of their parks to Wonderland. They were already disassembling it apparently. That stopped when Cedar Fair bought the Paramount parks (thank god). If you saw the teaser on the Wonderland web site last week it said 18 months of planning and construction - which, going back from next May, starts after Cedar Fair bought the park. This wasn't a Paramount project.

2011 - My guess for another coaster. This is the earliest year I believe they would install a new coaster due to the large price tag they're paying for Behemoth. I think by this time they will demolish the Dragon Fyre. That ride is so shitty and its only a matter of time that it's removed to make space for a new coaster.

It's called the "Dragon Fire" now. Wilde Beast is now Wild Beast. However Medieval Faire is still Medieval Faire.

Makes no sense to me.... I liked the old-timey spelling

Are they keeping the movie names for rides now that Paramount doesnt own the park? Paramount basically re-branded many of the rides when they took over, or at least named new rides after Paramount owned movies... will there be a move to change all that? I would like to see Wonderland go thorugh a re-branding, by changing the names of the rides, areas of the park, etc etc to wok around a new theme. Maybe there could be a "past, present, future" theme with 3 areas representing each time. Medieval faire can stay medieval, present can have current themes on celebrity/movies/music etc, while the future can be all space themed names.

Are they keeping the movie names for rides now that Paramount doesnt own the park? Paramount basically re-branded many of the rides when they took over, or at least named new rides after Paramount owned movies... will there be a move to change all that? I would like to see Wonderland go thorugh a re-branding, by changing the names of the rides, areas of the park, etc etc to wok around a new theme. Maybe there could be a "past, present, future" theme with 3 areas representing each time. Medieval faire can stay medieval, present can have current themes on celebrity/movies/music etc, while the future can be all space themed names.

From what I heard, no, the ride names will remain. Cedar Fair also picked up the right to use existing trademarks when they purchased the Paramount Parks. They all could be re-done, which wouldn't bother me one bit.. except Top Gun already has ok theming it would be hard to re-work that and the Italian Job would seem pretty damn generic under any other name...

I was surprised to see all the Paramount branding I did when at the park yesterday, even some security patrol uniforms had a giant Paramount logo on them as did many of the rides (drop zone, skyrider to name a few).

I do like some of Wonderland's current stock of coasters, in particular the Wilde Beat, The Minebuster, Skyrider and Vortex. What I'm curious about is whether there's any precedence of taking a current coaster and somehow improving it a bit with some extra loops, twists/turns and perhaps even a larger hill?

Back