News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Net Neutrality / Internet Throttling Debate

was it ever a crown corp or anything like that? did they ever use taxpayer dollars to expand their infrastructure?
No it was not a crown corp. If the government gave or loaned them money without demanding ownership of their infrastructure, too bad. I used taxpayer dollars for my unversity education, both through student loans and through the subsidization of education. That doesn't mean I owe anything to the government, beyond income and consumption taxes. Same goes for corporations.

It may not have been a crown corp, but didnt the government have its hands in Bell until the 80s when deregulation began?

Bell made it's own bed... let them lie in it....

Resellers, however, wanted the CRTC to go further and allow them to own their own lines, an idea Bell Canada was fighting. Canadian Business quoted Bell Chairman Jean Monty as saying that 'the presence of resale means Canada already enjoys a workable balance between competition and monopoly.'

http://www.answers.com/topic/bell-canada

Reducing service on leased lines is unfair business practice. It basically gives an unfair advantage to bell who already holds the monopoly.

Canadians Should Submit to Net Neutrality Hearings
Mediacaster Magazine
Feb. 10, 2009.

Citizen’s groups, tech analysts and media commentators are reminding Canadians to let industry watchdogs know their feelings about the issue of Internet neutrality before the submission deadline - this Monday, February 16, 2009.

‘Net Neutrality’ revolves around cable and telecom and Internet service providers, and the methods used to ‘throttle’ or shape data traffic connected with P2P and other high bandwidth, data intensive transmissions.

Some commentators say that if the fight for a neutral 'Net is lost, the Internet’s value as an open and democratic medium for communication and information exchange is lost, as well. ‘Net Neutrality is more than just a technical issue about broadband throughput, they say, as it touches on the actual content that can be distributed on the Internet, as well.

In response to complaints against Canadian telecom companies (Bell, Videotron, Rogers, etc.) for the “throttling” and “traffic shaping” of Internet pipes, the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) is asking Canadians what they think about the issue of ‘Net Neutrality.

The CRTC said in its notice of hearing that “The growth in Internet traffic is being cited as a main reason why some Internet service providers (ISPs) are adopting Internet traffic management practices to address possible congestion in their networks. Traffic management practices may take many forms and approaches including using technologies to alter the flow of traffic or new business models. ISPs use many different technologies to offer high-speed Internet services, including digital subscriber lines (DSL), wireless, cable, and satellite, which may affect which traffic management practices are used.”

Therefore, the CRTC continued, “The use of certain Internet traffic management practices has raised concerns in Canada and in other jurisdictions. The Commission recognizes the importance of this issue.”

SaveOurNet.ca, a coalition of media watchdogs, industry and public interest groups, says the debate pits the interests of monopoly against the larger interests of Canadian innovation, democracy, and a healthy 21st century economy.

As SaveOurNet.ca Co-founder Steve Anderson says on the website, "[T]here needs to be some basic rules in place to protect Canadian citizens and businesses from being unfairly throttled, blocked or squeezed out by a few telecom giants. If we don't protect the Internet's level playing field from unfair monopoly -- as the U.S. and other countries now are -- Canadian innovation and new media will lose out."

Many observers cite the work of Lawrence Lessig, the Stanford University professor and U.S. lawyer long associated with matters of Internet transparency, copyright and Net Neutrality. He described Net Neutrality “as what we have with our phones”, noting that the fee we pay for that service is completely independent of the content of the conversation being transmitted.

Internet throttling technology can discriminate among content and data types, and can be used to either restrict such transmissions, or to determine fee structures based on that content.

SaveOurNet.ca co-founder Steve Anderson added, "Canadians need to encourage the CRTC to consider the bigger picture of monopoly versus innovation. We should protect a basic principle that has been spectacularly good for the Internet in Canada and around the world. Now more than ever, we need to spur innovation and access to information -- not choke it off."

For more information about the CRTC process and background, visit http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/pt2008-19.htm

It may not have been a crown corp, but didnt the government have its hands in Bell until the 80s when deregulation began?

Bell was never a crown corporation, nor was it ever owned by the government. Bell used to be a regulated monopoly back when there was just phone service.

Net Neutrality Submission Deadline Extended by CRTC
Mediacaster, 2009-02-13

So-called Net Neutrality hearings called by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) have hit a speed bump.

The deadline for public submissions to hearings on Internet throttling or traffic shaping activities by Canadian Internet Service Providers (ISPs) has been moved to Feb. 23, a one-week extension on the original deadline date.

The CRTC notes on its website that “the following changes to the procedure set out in Telecom Public Notice CRTC 2008-19, 20 November 2008:

14. Members of the public who wish merely to file written comments in this proceeding, without receiving copies of the various submissions, may do so by filing such comments with the Commission by 23 February 2009 at the address or fax number noted above, or by filling out the online form.

21. All parties may file with the Commission, serving a copy on all other parties, initial comments by 23 February 2009. Initial comments should address the issues set out above, as well as the responses to the above-noted interrogatories.

Accoring to reports, the CRTC had ordered Canada's ISPs, such as Bell, Rogers and Shaw, to provide traffic information for the hearings

The material was provided on Wednesday, just days before what would have been the point at which submissions to public comments were closed. Some observers are saying the filing timing seems like a tactic to prevent effective response to the important information from ISPs about network management and technical activities related to traffic throughput, quality of service and quality of experience issues.

Organizations such as CIPPIC, PIAC, saveournet.ca and the Open Internet Coalition have voiced opinions on the topic and recommended submissions be made to the CRTC by interested or concernced parties.

The CRTC announcement at http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/pt2008-19-2.htm

anyone know how to get around Rogers throttling of torrents?

There used to be a way using a beta version of Utorrent and changing some of the settings ... I remember being amazing when I saw my upload skyrocket past 80K/second and my downloads "scream" at over 400k/sec. Of course a quick visit to my friends condo in Cityplace made me realize how horribly slow even those speeds were. And then.. Rogers implemented caps so it all meant nothing to me anyway. If you do some googling you'll find some message boards that can be very helpful... one particular I can't remember that had detailed sections for each Ontario internet provider.

I can't beleive how poor internet service is for most Torontonians...
I'm paying under $20/month for a service with no caps, speeds that hit 2-3megs/second downloading, uploads around 500-600k/sec and best of all, it comes with a tv card that gets me over 100 channels (including CNN, BBC and a few English channels) which isn't even considered cable tv since there's no charge. Makes me wonder just how much Rogers and Bell are making off everyone for a less than cutting edge infrastructure and horrible service. I am not trying to gloat, it just makes Canada seem like it's in the internet dark ages as more and more services go digital (Netflix HD streams for example). Korea is leading the world in internet service (probably because of all the starcraft playing they do lol) but to do so at such low prices? Where on earth do Rogers and Bell get off?

Not to mention the unwarranted bi-annual service rate increases. Beginning March 1 Rogers Extreme will cost $59.99 from $54.95.

I'm too far from the Adelaide CO to receive comparable DSL service.

Broadband and wireless in Canada are a joke...

P.S. wonderboy: http://www.dslreports.com/forums/23

Last edited:
There is such a monopoly downtown Toronto for Internet, our government should be ashamed.

One provider raises prices, they all do. One provider throttles, they all do. etc etc on and on.

What pisses me off about the Rogers throttling is that they can't even get it right. My PS3 demo downloads and Steam (gaming) downloads also get throttled. The only thing I can download these days that don't get throttled is Windows Updates.

Rogers throttling is such a scam.

Problem is that for wired service - it does not make sense economically to have 30 different competitors since wiring ever 30th property - is very inefficient and expensive. Thus we are left with two companies that have received subsidies to provide services.... Bell and Rogers. A dynamic economy relies on competition, and when competition is hindered due to the fact of reality - we should endever to create a utility to provide service to a point which will enable private companies to provide a very competitive service. My personal believe is that we should probably move to a system -- where a crown corporation provides the "last mile" (electrical - Hydro; communications; gas; etc.) which links up local residents to a service point where private companies can offer services. The other alternative - is for each house to own (although it does not exclude above) the last mile of the telecomunications lines. These lines can be terminated at public properties (government offices, subway systems, schools, etc.) which any private company then can build out their network too. This deals with the realities that it is not efficient nor cost effective for each of 30 companies to build out their own network to your house - but allow for a private solution for providing services.

There used to be a way using a beta version of Utorrent and changing some of the settings ... I remember being amazing when I saw my upload skyrocket past 80K/second and my downloads "scream" at over 400k/sec. Of course a quick visit to my friends condo in Cityplace made me realize how horribly slow even those speeds were. And then.. Rogers implemented caps so it all meant nothing to me anyway. If you do some googling you'll find some message boards that can be very helpful... one particular I can't remember that had detailed sections for each Ontario internet provider.

I can't beleive how poor internet service is for most Torontonians...
I'm paying under $20/month for a service with no caps, speeds that hit 2-3megs/second downloading, uploads around 500-600k/sec and best of all, it comes with a tv card that gets me over 100 channels (including CNN, BBC and a few English channels) which isn't even considered cable tv since there's no charge. Makes me wonder just how much Rogers and Bell are making off everyone for a less than cutting edge infrastructure and horrible service. I am not trying to gloat, it just makes Canada seem like it's in the internet dark ages as more and more services go digital (Netflix HD streams for example). Korea is leading the world in internet service (probably because of all the starcraft playing they do lol) but to do so at such low prices? Where on earth do Rogers and Bell get off?

Who is your provider?

Who is your provider?

I think they're called Hanaro telecom... I honestly don't know since the bill is entirely in Korean and the only part I see or care about is the price. I've already confirmed there's no caps and "throttling" is only used to control my downloads since I have a more basic package so I can't go over 3/megs a second I think in my download... lol

Back