News   Apr 25, 2024
 453     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

My son moving back to TO, looking for condo suggestions

harry_fine

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello. Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. Have a 30 year old son, lived here for 28 years, moved to Montreal for work, now moving back. He's looking for a condo, probably one bedroom plus real den, perhaps 2 bedroom and two bathroom. He doesn't want to be in a big 40 floor high-rise, he's not the Liberty Village type.

He will have a car, and his job will be just west of 427 and just south of 401, basically just south of the airport. He wants to be able to be close to downtown, that's where his friends generally gather, go out drinking etc. He is looking for something about 1,000 square feet, up to about $1m.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about Kingsway, Bloor West Village, but it would be nice to find a boutique condo on King West or Queen West but east of the junction.

Tough assignment?

That's a really healthy budget to work with.
For that kind of money he could buy a very nice and spacious 2 bedroom and 2 bath condo anywhere downtown.
Buying a house or townhouse would be a much better investment in the long run if your son doesn't mind a little more work and maintenance.
An authentic hard loft is also another good option, as it offers more character and space in a more private boutique building. Candy Factory Lofts and Tip Top Lofts come to mind.

If he's going to be commuting to Mississauga for work, having close and easy access to the Gardiner or DVP is a good idea as traffic within the city is really bad especially during rush hour.
With the recent proposal to turn the rail lands on the west end to a massive park, it will definitely improve the connectivity to the city at Cityplace and make it more desirable and valuable there. So maybe a townhouse unit at CityPlace could be an option as your son doesn't have to deal with elevator traffic and other pains living in a high rise building but still enjoy the amenities and being steps to everything which is important to a young person.
If he's not keen on living in downtown, but still want to want to be close enough to go out on the town than maybe popular areas like Yonge & Eglinton (a little far from the highway, but a short subway ride to downtown) or Mimico are also ideal options.

Most people of that age can't even afford $400,000 (which is roughly the average price of a condo in the GTA) for a home, so your son is in a very lucky and fortunate circumstance and has plenty to options to choose from.

I’m planning to move to downtown soon to be closer to work. These conversations have been really helpful for me. I decided to take a condo on rent for the time being. I found a few good listings, contacted a few and I have almost fixed on one.

I guess someone here could help me to find a good moving company. Last time I moved to a new condo, it was a disaster. The moving company messed up everything. Even my furniture got damaged. This time I’m not willing to take any risks. I read a few great reviews about one moving services based in Toronto. It would be great if some can validate it. Please suggest me a few good options.

Back