News   Jun 03, 2024
 118     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 582     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.3K     9 

Mustapha's Then and Now: Midtown Yonge (Rosedale to Eglinton)

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
Then and Now #1974 Yonge Street at Imperial Street. Northwest corner.

Just north of Davisville Avenue.

1974yongeimperial.jpg

DSCF0177.jpg

Then and Now. Cottingham Street. Looking west towards Yonge.

The modern view is obstructed by the raised rail embankment built for the North Toronto station - you can see the station clock tower hiding behind the trees.

Obviously, Cottingham no longer intersects at Yonge.

cottinghamlookingeasttoyonge.jpg

DSCF0167.jpg

Anyone care to explain what is met by Metropolitan diversion in the last pic?

When you're heading north on Yonge, Woodlawn is the last street before the really steep part of Yonge. Maybe the grade on Yonge itself was too steep for streetcars, so they constructed a separate right of way just to the west? Then again those don't even look like streetcar tracks and there are no poles. I am at a loss.

That makes sense - and then when the Yonge Subway opened up - no need for the streetcar diversion around the hill, so the ROW was sold off and built on. The streetcar tracks look like they are under construction in the first pic - so no poles yet.

Toronto & York, Metropolitan Division, Birch Avenue Terminal : 1092 Yonge Street
f1568_it0052.jpg

Metropolitan diversion, north from Walker Avenue (looking north to Woodlawn and the back of the house shown in the OP)
f1231_it0411.jpg

Metropolitan diversion, north from Woodlawn Avenue ( T. & . R. R. )
f1231_it0394.jpg

Metropolitan diversion, Yonge Street south at Farnham Avenue (looking south-west towards Woodlawn)
f1231_it0396.jpg

As suggested, the reason for the diversion seems to be the re-grading of Yonge Street:

Yonge Street north from Woodlawn Avenue
f1231_it1261.jpg

Yonge Street grading north from Woodlawn Avenue
f1231_it0259.jpg

f1231_it0396.jpg

What the! I live steps from Yonge and Farnham. I'm heading out tomorrow to see if traces of this remain. I doubt it though - the newish building on the southwest corner would have all but wiped this out.

From memory, the only evidence that something unusual happened here is that two or three houses on the north side of Woodlawn have ridiculously deep front lawns. But those houses are immediately west of this and would not have been affected.

Back