News   Apr 26, 2024
 547     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 583     0 

Music Stores (HMV, Virgin, Sunrise)

The music stores will be like comic book stores. Used to be that comic books were available in almost every convenience or variety store, but now only in specialty stores. It'll happen now with vinyl, CD, DVD, etc..

I'm not sure that this is what you would call an over-expansion. They are taking 70% of HMV's stores, so there's already kitted-out locations they can use, and a public that expects a music store in that location (strange that DVDs weren't mentioned in this cbc article), but yeah, they have to figure out how to run the business with less overhead, that's for certain.

The music stores will be like comic book stores. Used to be that comic books were available in almost every convenience or variety store, but now only in specialty stores. It'll happen now with vinyl, CD, DVD, etc..
Music stores have always been like comic book stores.

I'm not sure that this is what you would call an over-expansion. They are taking 70% of HMV's stores, so there's already kitted-out locations they can use, and a public that expects a music store in that location (strange that DVDs weren't mentioned in this cbc article), but yeah, they have to figure out how to run the business with less overhead, that's for certain.

I think @jje1000 was simply referring to the fact that Sunrise is expanding from 9 stores to 79 stores very quickly. Yes, the are taking over former music stores, but they are still ramping up really quickly.

Wow they only have 9?! Yes, best of luck to them. Hopefully they figure out how to get the best of HMV's staff from this.

HMV has always paid a decent, for retail, wage and given their employees a decent benefits package. Sunrise basically pays all their employees minimum wage and only management get benefits. It'll be hard to hold on to many of the best staff I'd suspect. Although, desperate times...

So, what's happening to the flagship HMV at Yonge & Dundas? It's not a part of the Sunrise deal.

Maybe it'll become a Shopper's Drugmart. :rolleyes:

I was hoping Ryerson would buy the HMV site along with the empty lot next to it to build another building that will match the Student Learning Center's qualities.

I was hoping Ryerson would buy the HMV site along with the empty lot next to it to build another building that will match the Student Learning Center's qualities.

Would the HMV lot be combined with the plans on the former Empress Hotel corner lot to make one larger development?

Yeah I figured the Empress Hotel lot isn't large enough and the HMV building is pretty ugly. It's gotta go.

The building is very 90's...but can it be just torn down? Five Guys and Silver Snail are still occupying the other half next door. I figure they both must have signed leases for more than a few years, not anticipating the demise of HMV.

The building is very 90's...but can it be just torn down? Five Guys and Silver Snail are still occupying the other half next door. I figure they both must have signed leases for more than a few years, not anticipating the demise of HMV.

Leases can be bought out. But I would hope that Silver Snail would be able to find a suitable space nearby (good luck, though, as many of the good inexpensive rental places on Yonge disappear for condos).

Back