News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 482     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Museum of Toronto (?)

I hope they invest a lot of money into the landscaping around the building and restore the courtyard garden, which is currently a parking lot. The asphalt driveway and the generic lawn fronting onto Queen Street are rather uninspiring. The lawn isn't practical since a lot of people walk on it, leaving bald spots of trampled dirt in the summer.

Yeah, that courtyard definitely needs to be restored. I remember walking by there on my way to yon gigantic book shop back in early December, looking into the courtyard and just feeling......sad.

Toronto is suffering a tourism deficit?

What we are facing is an infrastructure deficit, with ancient water mains, terrible roads, and I can only wish one day we can move our overhead utility lines underground. I’m here in Seoul and all their power lines are under the sidewalk. Fix the infrastructure so the city is livable for its residents before building more tourist traps.

Exactly why a museum is sorely lacking and would be of great use to the collective imagination and vision we have for our city.
Given the politicians we continue to elect, the likely expression of the vision we have for Toronto will be to tear it down and erect a Green P lot in its place.

Given the politicians we continue to elect, the likely expression of the vision we have for Toronto will be to tear it down and erect a Green P lot in its place.

You've just solved the King Street Restaurant Conundrum: put down a car park in King Street for all the restaurant customers so that they can park right out front of their chosen destination!

You're brilliant, pman.

Toronto is suffering a tourism deficit?

What we are facing is an infrastructure deficit, with ancient water mains, terrible roads, and I can only wish one day we can move our overhead utility lines underground. I’m here in Seoul and all their power lines are under the sidewalk. Fix the infrastructure so the city is livable for its residents before building more tourist traps.

It won't get fixed here unless the rules surrounding it change. In Seoul, they have multiple crews working on a project. Late hours, all day, evenings, on Sundays when it requires to getting the job done. Here, it's "only 1 crew consisting of x amount of peoples, only x hrs per day, on only Monday-Friday. Overtime will nearly triple the cost as well". Therefore on a cost and timeliness basis, it is almost impossible to get stuff done here and many N. American cities.

Regarding the topic, I am all for a Toronto Museum. There are plenty of people that would love to know what the city was like. There's a "what I miss about the 1960s" thread that's popular. Imagine if actual items from the specific eras were available to be seen... "this is the common milk bottle used in Delivery". Stories, enlarged pictures. Focus on the 'burns' of Toronto too (Scarborough, North York). Make it cheap to enter with the goal of enticing people to come multiple times instead of a one time profit maximizing thing.

Exactly why a museum is sorely lacking and would be of great use to the collective imagination and vision we have for our city.

I think that the general population, especially people who were raised in the city don't seem interested just because they don't know anything about Toronto's history. My niece just finished high school here, and I was surprised that there was no local history taught at all during her time in school. Actually, now that I think of it, a Toronto museum may not be all that great for tourism specifically, but it could sure be a really great school trip destination.

I think that the general population, especially people who were raised in the city don't seem interested just because they don't know anything about Toronto's history. My niece just finished high school here, and I was surprised that there was no local history taught at all during her time in school. Actually, now that I think of it, a Toronto museum may not be all that great for tourism specifically, but it could sure be a really great school trip destination.

We school field trips in mind, admission should free to school groups.

I am strongly in favour of a Toronto museum.

It's unfortunate that it requires going to third year of university within the Human Geography program just to take a course about Toronto's history (and yes, I took said course).

How many Torontonians know that March 6, 1834 was the date of Toronto's incorporation as a city? Not that many, not even Drake knows that.

I am strongly in favour of a Toronto museum.

It's unfortunate that it requires going to third year of university within the Human Geography program just to take a course about Toronto's history (and yes, I took said course).

How many Torontonians know that March 6, 1834 was the date of Toronto's incorporation as a city? Not that many, not even Drake knows that.

It's not completely unknown, but it is (for the most part, it seems) incorrectly conflated with "Toronto's birthday". On social media, March 6 does get bandied about as "Toronto's birthday", including tweets by the Mayor. I've seen references to it on neighbourhood Facebook groups, and "Happy birthday, Toronto" tweets/posts by local businesses, BIAs, etc. I'd agree that it is generally not a thing, but seems to be on its way to kind of becoming one.

In 2016, historian Adam Bunch (rightfully) took issue with this notion of March 6 being Toronto's birthday. And he has raised the same complaints on March 6 in the subsequent two years as well.

Back