News   May 07, 2024
 546     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 475     1 

MTV Live defaces bus shelter

andomano

Member Bio
Reaction score
On tonight's MTV Live there was an issue with a certain ad on the bus shelter directly outside of the Masonic Temple at Yonge and Davenport. It was an ad for a TV show on a rival channel, MuchMusic, which obviously didn't sit well with the hosts. They proceeded to tape pictures of Daryn Jones' face ontop of the actors, which in a way is okay, but then proceeded to paint their name in red "MTV Live" on the ad, with Daryn Jones finally throwing the rest of the bucket of paint on the ad in the shelter.

This is from their website as a little preview of what they did. The video will likely be online tomorrow.
4147836707_fe3523f38e.jpg

Thoughts, comments, any updates on the status of the bus shelter?

This is why we have teenagers who watch this idiotic channel do these things.... Mind you I am a teenager...

Graffitti and vandalism really annoys me, especially on Shelters, and Bues, and train windows...

Can they get arrested or charged for this? The video is proof, sure like to see thenm in trouble...

Not arrested, just sued. Those are Astral Media's shelters, and thus their property, and so they can take whatever legal action they feel necessary (and I hope they do).

I think the city is setting a good example by going after MLSE and threatening fines over defacing sidewalks with Leaf ads. I think, finally, people are realizing that respect for the public realm, even for other peoples' property, is slipping so badly that legal and financial action is the only recourse left. It really does seem that companies and many individuals are so motivated by greed and juvenile narcissism, that the city is now being viewed as simply another means to advertise your product, or get your "tag" seen, and not as a public realm that should be treated with some dignity and respect. I'm beginning to see marketing and vandalism merge into one excretious phenomenon, and this is a perfect example.

Boy, I'm glad I stopped watching MTV 7 years ago... And it only gets worse.

I do miss the Raptors "illegal" ad on the side of Leafs' advertisements. Well, both teams suck anyways.

This is why we have teenagers who watch this idiotic channel do these things.... Mind you I am a teenager...

Graffitti and vandalism really annoys me, especially on Shelters, and Bues, and train windows...

Can they get arrested or charged for this? The video is proof, sure like to see thenm in trouble...

I agree entirely. Even if it was legal or cleaned up afterward (I doubt if it was either), this will probably encourage vandalism from viewers, by painting vandalism as "cool" or acceptable.

I too am a teenager, and it annoys me just as much. In my area, there's the same tag on everything, and I often wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage this guy (I'm pretty sure I know who it is) has done.

The hilarious part is that they'd never have pulled this kind of stunt a few years back, when MTV and MuchMusic had separate corporate owners. Now that they're all part of one big cuddly Globemedia family, they can publicly acknowledge the other's existence.

Did they clean the shelter up afterwards?

I was hoping one of you would know!

Thankfully (I suppose) this stunt was done on MTV Live where the majority of their viewers are 18-24 year olds, those who (usually) are more mature than the viewing audience 13- 17 year olds of Muchmusic, and are less impressionable.

Back