News   May 22, 2024
 161     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 426     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 465     1 

Movie Theatres in Toronto - Old and New

Empire Theatres is planning to open a digital Imax at their Empress Walk location next month.

Is it actually digital? If so, I don't understand the point -- IMAX was all about the huge resolution of the enormous film stock, which you're simply not going to get with a 2K digital projector. This is nothing but marketing.

It's the same as what AMC has downtown, faux (bastardized) IMAX. Soon all IMAX will be digital, there are only a handful of conversions yet to be done in Canada, most likely following the end of the run of "Dark Knight Rises" which director Christopher Nolan had in his contract would only be shown in IMAX cinemas using IMAX film, no digital IMAX. IMAX film projectors may still remain in place for possible future use but digital will most likely take it's place soon after "Dark Knight Rises" is played out. Unfortunately IMAX film prints are incredibly expensive as opposed to a few hard drives for digital.

A good friend of mine managed this cinema in the old post office at Charles & Yonge which operated from 1966 to about 1974. I have absolutely no memory of it so I've always been fascinated by it. After years of searching I came across not one, but two photos of CineCity in the past week. The cinema showed mainly art and foreign films and did well with weekend midnight screenings, some of which played for years like Gimme Shelter, Janis & such. It had seating for about 266 people.

These photos look like early 1970's -

Cinecity_1971.jpg

Cinecity2.jpg

News comes today that the Cumberland cinemas will close on Sunday night when Hot Docs finishes. The Cumberland opened in 1980 and was operated by Famous Players showing both specialty and Hollywood fare until the Festival Cinema group out of Vancouver picked up the Cumberland & Runnymede cinemas in 1997. Cumberland was almost exclusively programmed with high quality foreign and alternative product through until Alliance Atlantis partnered in 1999. Programming remained pretty much the same since then showing unusually long runs of highly acclaimed films. It may not the best cinema complex around but the great programming sure will be missed.

News comes today that the Cumberland cinemas will close on Sunday night when Hot Docs finishes. The Cumberland opened in 1980 and was operated by Famous Players showing both specialty and Hollywood fare until the Festival Cinema group out of Vancouver picked up the Cumberland & Runnymede cinemas in 1997. Cumberland was almost exclusively programmed with high quality foreign and alternative product through until Alliance Atlantis partnered in 1999. Programming remained pretty much the same since then showing unusually long runs of highly acclaimed films. It may not the best cinema complex around but the great programming sure will be missed.

That's terrible. The place usually seemed to be relatively busy (unlike the AMC ghost town).

News comes today that the Cumberland cinemas will close on Sunday night when Hot Docs finishes.

Really? While it's certainly not the best theatre in the world, it will be sad to see it go.

I was at a Hot Docs screening there last night (lining up in that dark alley between Cumberland and Bloor). I guess that will be my last.

I'm wondering if the expensive conversion to digital ultimately sealed it's fate. One of the major film studios (either Fox or Paramount, can't remember which) will go full digital later this year, no more 35MM film prints so others will follow shortly after. I wonder how converting to digital will affect other smaller cinema complexes like Market Square and Carlton once 35MM is a thing of the past probably sometime in 2013?

They would need a good booker who knows the product that Cumberland plays and relationships with the independent distributors.

Is the land for sale / site for lease at this point ?

I didn't think the Carlton Cinema would get a new lease on life but it did!

But another part of me thinks it'd be nice to have a mixed use office / condo / retail building here, not that tall, maybe 15 stories or so.

Cumberland park is great but the Cinema feels relegated to the side.

Last edited:

Back