2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 436     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Most Dangerous Neighbourhood(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finch west is quite scary i was walking my dog around 9:00 and these 4 blood dudes in black started shooting at this blue honda i was terrified we moved the next day i think its ardwick east or ardwick west

I lived at Vaughan Road and Oakwood... and that was 'interesting'...
and Moss Park area (queen st from St. Mikes to DVP) is creepy at times..
and lansdowne bloor area is a no go for me.

Scarborough is a large area... so to say that the whole area is rough isn't really true. More of a bad rep.

It looks like alot of the major crimes are happening around the Main/Danforth area recently. There have always been alot of murders, assaults, and robberies down there. For petty theft and drugs, Etobicoke Lakeshore, and Boor/Lansdowne take the cake. Supposedly Bloor/Lansdowne MTO police division has the highest daily arrest rate in the city.

It looks like alot of the major crimes are happening around the Main/Danforth area recently. There have always been alot of murders ...
I've been living not far from Main/Danforth for about 5 years. I'm not aware of any murders there. Perhaps there was one when I was out of town or something. Buy many? Can you provide details?

Edit:

Okay, I've now gone through the 2006-2010 homicide information. I can't find a single murder within half-a-kilometre from Main/Danforth. The closest I can find is a domestic violence murder south of Main/Gerrard this year (that cross-bow shooting). There's also a murder 3 years ago of Edyta Lewandowski by her husband in their house on a residential street south of Danforth, half-way between Woodbine and Main, though that's hardly recent, or any indication of a dangerous neighbourhood.

That's it in 5 years ... and it's domestic violence, and not close to Main/Danforth. Nothing crime, drug, or gang-related. Why are you saying something like this? This kind of fear-mongering isn't helpful.

Last edited:
The only murder to take place anywhere near Main & Danforth in the past 12 months was the crossbow incident at Main & Gerrard, which hardly counts.

No murders near Bloor & Lansdowne in 2010 either.

Main/Danforth looks like a very pleasant neighborhood to me- a lot of middle class homes with well maintained gardens, at least in the vicinity of the subway station.

I've never visited any area in Toronto where I felt scared for my safety.

I admit I didn't see the subways there. My comment that NY seems to be a city that works is from a pedestrian and driver's point of view, in that it's easy to walk the entire island, and driving in Manhattan, while definitely busy, seemed to flow seamlessly, with well timed traffic lights, and a lot more driver skill and courtesy than I see in Toronto, or heaven forbid Markham (red lights are optional up there) everyday.

My experience with NYC wasn't as good as yours maybe. When I was in my friend's car, pedestrians seem to think they own the road. They crossed it whenever they pleased. There were a lot of traffic jams at night. And some parts during the day. When I was walking around near port authority, someone offered to carry my luggage which I refused. The area felt a bit rough. It was a lively area but I didn't feel it was completely safe.

I second the comments about traffic flow in Manhattan. I'd hardly call it seamless! It seems a lot easier to walk faster than cars on many streets in rush hour.

Remember: Toronto's first murder of 2011 was in an alley around Queen + Portland--the heart of LeftyPinkoville, you know, close to the burnt-our Duke's block site. Guess we should be paranoid there, too

Personal experience... I think that feeling safe in an area would really come down to what experiences someone had in an area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back