News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Moss Park / Queen & Sherbourne

My understanding is that the landlord was fully aware of what the tenant's plans were. It would appear they just want the place rented, I'm not sure they care where the money comes from.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the community meeting tonight!

Wow, the whole stretch?

There is supposedly a study being done on this whole area, there were all kinds of plans - which would appear to have collapsed. It really is a very unpleasant part of the street.

TE35.96 ACTION
Adopted on Consent

Ward:27

Toronto East Downtown Planning Review

City Council Decision
City Council on July 6, 7 and 8, 2010, adopted the following:

1. City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning to conduct a full local area review for the lands designated in the Official Plan as Mixed Use and Neighbourhood adjacent to Dundas Street East between George Street and Sherbourne Street, and on Sherbourne Street between Dundas Street East and Shuter Street, with the intention to permit high-rise residential development, and report to the Toronto and East York Community Council by February 2011.

2. City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning to include Dundas Street East between Jarvis Street and Sherbourne Street, and Sherbourne Street between Dundas Street East and Shuter Street in the Tall Buildings Study.

Background Information (Committee)
TE35.96 - Member Motion by Councillor Rae - Toronto East Downtown Planning Review
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-31729.pdf)

Another pic found of the Reuben plan (sorry about the poor quality)

mossparktiny.jpg

My partner and I are looking to rent an apt at Richmond and Sherbourne. We're fresh from grad school, looking to live in the city for a few years. I'm from Toronto but haven't lived there in some years, and my partner used to live there. I've done some prelim research (crime stats, news reports, neighbourhood reviews), and Moss Park sounds like a sketchy place--a little frightening, actually. But I wanted to open it up a bit and ask residents or former residents about the nabe. To those of you who live there or have lived there: What do you think of Moss Park? What's it like to live there, day-to-day? What should we be most careful or worried about? Any tips you have would be awesome. Thanks!

My partner and I are looking to rent an apt at Richmond and Sherbourne. We're fresh from grad school, looking to live in the city for a few years. I'm from Toronto but haven't lived there in some years, and my partner used to live there. I've done some prelim research (crime stats, news reports, neighbourhood reviews), and Moss Park sounds like a sketchy place--a little frightening, actually. But I wanted to open it up a bit and ask residents or former residents about the nabe. To those of you who live there or have lived there: What do you think of Moss Park? What's it like to live there, day-to-day? What should we be most careful or worried about? Any tips you have would be awesome. Thanks!

Richmond and Sherbourne is NOT Moss Park, which begins at Queen. Steps away but different.
Basically Sherbourne gets sketchy starting from Richmond E and up. Queen to Dundas is the worst part. South of Richmond such as Adelaide and King @ Sherbourne is actually quite nice. Just make sure you walk west or south if you move there. There is nothing on the north anyway.

We were in a similar situation circa 2006 - my wife had finished grad school, I still had a year to go. We lived on Queen between Jarvis and Sherbourne. While it was sketchy, we had nice neighbours and both really enjoyed it. Neighbours included a lawyer, architect, and accountant. Our loft was amazing and really cheap. MSTRKRFT et al had a studio on Britian St. The George Brown school, Sarah Richardson Design HQ, and a yuppie church also moved in. The original Urban Toronto HQ was there too. While there were/are some crackheads milling about, do remember that they are really harmless. If you're a young professional, and have an open mind, Moss Park circa 2006 is fine enough, and it certainly has gotten even better since then. I'd do it again.

However, as the previous poster said, Richmond/Sherbourne is not really Moss Park, which starts at Queen. I would say that Richmond/Sherbourne is really St Lawrence Market, and St Lawrence isn't sketchy at all. C'est What and Betty's pubs are great; get cheap groceries every Saturday from the Market; both Metro and the big No Frills at your door. 15 minute walk to the Eaton Centre. Go for it!

Last edited:
263-265 Queen East Demolition - "Christina Lauder Buildings"

I'm not sure where the best spot to post this is, or if it's already been discussed on these forums -- my searches have returned no results.

I noticed today that there's this permit application in the City of Toronto database to demolish the buildings at 263-265 Queen Street East, which is just east of Sherbourne, near Ontario St.

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3470050

Doing a quick search on Google Maps, I see these are very nice historical two-story buildings, with retail on ground floor and apartments above:

http://goo.gl/maps/a36eN

Looking into it further, I notice these buildings are adjacent to the historic buildings at 267-269 Queen East that were demolished a year or two ago, apparently without permission.

I found this document from the City of Toronto dating to October states that the city is "pursuing legal action" against the owners regarding the demolition of 267-296 Queen E, and that these still-standing neighbouring buildings at 263-265 Queen E meet the criteria for being designated as heritage properties.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-62855.pdf

Yet, despite this, the demolition permit has appeared.

Does anyone know the story on this? Will the city really allow the owners to demolish more historic buildings even as they are under fire for demolishing the first? This seems completely outrageous to me.

At its meeting on November 19 the TEYCC approved adding these buildings to the Register. It comes to Council in 2 weeks. See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.TE28.15

Until it is listed or designated the City has no option but to issue a permit but I bet they are dragging their feet!

Ah, good to know. Let's hope sufficient foot-dragging occurs. This are nice buildings in an area that's not yet been too gentrified. Surely the owners of the property can find a way to redevelop and keep these.

The city could have stepped in when it was reported to them that a demolition crew was on site, or at any time during the 3 or 4 days it took to totally demolish the properties, but they didn't bother.

Back