News   May 01, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 399     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 376     0 

Moscow bans gay rights parade on Eurovision day

All I know we have decided this issue in Canada but it will still take some time where saying gays should not be allowed to be married is taboo.

Until that day, do not automatically assume someone against gay marriage is a complete homophobe.

Some people have a view that once rights are given everyone must accept it immediately. I say that it takes a while before people accept it.

All I am saying do not be so harsh, things change and they are for gays for the better.

I must say this my friends, Obama does not believe in gay marriage is he a homophobe. Of course NOT!!!

Last edited:
I must say this my friends, Obama does not believe in gay marriage is he a homophobe. Of course NOT!!!

yes, he is. You don't get to determine what is homophobic and what isn't.

I say that it takes a while before people accept it.

That's too f'n bad...grow up, it's time to accept that all humans have rights.

Well that is what I am saying, is being against Gay marriage homophobic if people like Obama are against it.

We clearly see in many ways how Obama clearly is not homophobic.

I say that it takes a while before people accept it.
That's too f'n bad...grow up, it's time to accept that all humans have rights.

You see this is great example of idealism and realism. You support gay rights and think its a no brainier and everyone must support it now because you think they should.

I support it is well, but I think it will take time for things to finally change.

It appears its a conflict of the ideal vs the reality. You guys want everyone to accept it now, while I say it will take time.

If you think about were both on the same side and fighting for no reason.

Back to TOPIC!!!

Well that is what I am saying, is being against Gay marriage homophobic if people like Obama are against it.

Yes, I understood it the first time and answered....but you don't like the answer. He's allowing special rights for part of the population, not all, that's called discrimination.

We clearly see in many ways how Obama clearly is not homophobic.

I can clearly see how he is.

If you think about were both on the same side and fighting for no reason.

No, you're a homophobe and I'm not. We're not on the same side, you want people to accept your bigotry because you're not ready to accept gay marriage. Too bad for you, time to act like an adult and accept others.

I am not going to respond to your last comment, because that is not even close to what I have been saying.

Look you passionately believe in this, but I am much more neutral person. If by saying it will take time for things to finally change, makes me a Homophobe in your eyes, then I think your the one being unreasonable my friend.

I do support gay marriage but I simply do not consider those who do not support it be a some crazy hateful person. That is my view.

Look you passionately believe in this, but I am much more neutral person.

You don't know me. I don't believe you're neutral. Based on your posts, you're very happy to limit human rights to your friends only.

If by saying it will take time for things to finally change, makes me a Homophobe in your eyes, then I think your the one being unreasonable my friend.

I'm not your friend, and i believe that you are being unreasonable by expecting others to tolerate your bigotry.

I do support gay marriage

Really? you've said numerous times that you don't support it...which is it?

The one good thing about all of this, more business for Toronto!

By Amie Ferris-Rotman, Reuters

MOSCOW -- A lesbian couple challenged the Russian legal system on Tuesday when they applied for a marriage licence but it was swiftly rejected on the grounds that such a union must be between a woman and a man.

It was the first attempt by a gay couple to get a marriage licence in Russia.

Irina Fyet, a 30-year-old PR worker, and beauty parlour owner Irina Shepitko, 32, said they would marry instead this summer in Toronto, where gay marriage is legal and no residency is required.

Clad in tuxedos and holding bouquets of white flowers, the pair, from southern Russia, said a gay marriage could improve the “dangerous†situation for homosexuals in Russian society.

“If society will know about us, see that we are normal, there would be a better relationship for [gays] at work, things would be simpler for us,†Shepitko said before kissing Fyet.

“We have love, we have happiness. We want to be together forever and get married, in Russia,†Fyet said after the pair sped in a sports car through the entrance of a register office in Moscow, where mayor Yuri Luzhkov once described gay pride marches as “satanic.â€

The Soviet Union banned homosexuality and any type of nudity on TV, and Russia did not decriminalise gay sex until 1993, two years after the USSR’s collapse.

Unlike other major European cities, Moscow has no gay-friendly district and the homosexual scene is still largely underground, although there are some openly gay bars.

Despite one of Russia’s most popular musical groups abroad, Tatu, trading on their fictionalised lesbian image, same-sex couples are rarely seen being affectionate in public. “We’re scared of the extremists, but I hope that they won’t be too harsh on us as we’re two sweet girls. But being gay is dangerous in Russia,†Fyet told Reuters.

Russian nationalists threatened on Tuesday to “cure†any homosexuals who join a Gay Pride parade on Saturday. The march, which Moscow city has said will be banned, will coincide with its hosting of the Eurovision Song Contest.

Gay rights activist Nikolai Alekseyev stepped in after a register office worker breached Russian law by at first refusing to let the couple even apply for the marriage licence.

“This is about the private rights of citizens ... and today [Fyet and Shepitko] were denied this. That means that this country violates a person’s rights,†he told reporters.

While most marriage applications receive a response within 10 working days, the pair were rejected in just under an hour.

“By the Russian family code, a marriage must be between a man and a woman. This is the law and also my personal opinion,†director of the register office, Svetlana Potamoshneva, said.

Shepitko said they expected a rejection so they were not disappointed. They are banking on a loophole in Russian law which bans gay marriage at home but does not prevent the recognition of a same-sex marriage that has taken place abroad.

“The Russian constitution must accept our Canadian union,†she said.

Potamoshneva acknowledged a grey area existed but said any decision regarding a foreign gay marriagewould “have to be one for the court.â€

What exactly are they afraid of?

(yes, I know this rhetorical question could have applied to Toronto not so ago)

Can't we all be gay?

gay (gã)
adj. gay·er, gay·est
1. Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
2. Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
3. Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
4. Given to social pleasures.
5. Dissolute; licentious.

Back