News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 510     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

More Lost Toronto in colour

east.jpg

i remember that toronto from the '80s. very tall, very sparse and with much more of a sort of gritty, "midwestern inner city" feel than it has today. soot-stained brick and canadian accents.

east.jpg

i remember that toronto from the '80s. very tall, very sparse and with much more of a sort of gritty, "midwestern inner city" feel than it has today. soot-stained brick and canadian accents.

King & Jarvis certainly was different in those days (mid-70's), eh?

2007-09-02-1153-57.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at old pictures of Adelaide and Toronto street always makes me want to cry.

It's also sad to think that the modernist ideal depicted in figure 3 is still the default mode of development these days (e.g. CityPlace). One of Jane Jacob's greatest insights, which I think anticipated a lot of social scientific thought, was that variation and diversity breed tenacity. Neighbourhoods with a diversity of different building types are better able to adjust to new social conditions, whereas "mono-cropped" neighbourhoods can be wiped out the moment their buildings fall out of favour. That insight is now applied to everything from job skills, to social networks, to agriculture.

Very well put, Silence&Motion, and I agree. 30 Adelaide Street East, known originally as the William Lyon Mackenzie Building, built in 1960, (now known as the State Street Financial Centre) is by itelf a very elegant Modern complex, which unfortunately was built at a time in which the retention of the old Post Office was probably never even considered. Ironically, the form of 30 Adelaide makes it very flexible in terms of use, and before it was recently renovated was actually considered as a loft conversion candidate. Its biggest failing (in addition to the demolitions) is its utter obliviousness to its surroundings, particularly in reference to the axis of Toronto Street. If it had been designed with more urban design sensitivity (or a better building), perhaps the loss of the old buildings would not be so accute.

torontostreet.jpg

torontostreet2.jpg

20-101-1-1.jpg

TorontoCourt-1.jpg

torontogoogle.jpg

Last edited:
My interest lies in Switzer's Deli; c/w cigars!

Regards,
J T

My interest lies in Switzer's Deli; c/w cigars!

Regards,
J T

My wife loved their new dills, she used to send me in to buy them. The Strubs new dills are ok, but the supermarkets leave them on the shelf too long, with the result they are no longer 'new'. Does anyone know who serves a good tongue sandwich nowadays? Here in Toronto?

The BEST DILLS that I have ever tasted are BUBBIES brand,

and are "popularly priced", unless of course if bought at "The Five Thieves".

Regards,
J T

Back