News   May 30, 2024
 457     0 
News   May 30, 2024
 858     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 1.8K     6 

More Lost Toronto in colour

It's definitely a BC plate. The '80+ Buick Skylark behind as well as the other vehicles around rule out it being an Ontario plate from the '65-'71 era. The Pontiac "listing" out of the parking space is actually a '74 Olds Cutlass (my first car!).

There's an '88+ Chevy pickup front and centre (with the boat on a utility trailer) in the truck crash (Tide) photo, so it's certainly later than '85.

Stumack

It's definitely a BC plate. The '80+ Buick Skylark behind as well as the other vehicles around rule out it being an Ontario plate from the '65-'71 era.
Oh, I wasn't saying the pic was from that time (clearly it isn't), but couldn't the plate have been?
The Pontiac "listing" out of the parking space is actually a '74 Olds Cutlass (my first car!).
Aha, but the '75 Pontiac LeMans looks almost identical.
There's an '88+ Chevy pickup front and centre (with the boat on a utility trailer) in the truck crash (Tide) photo, so it's certainly later than '85.
The pickup was the only vehicle in the pic I wasn't sure about. If the photo's post-'88 though, I wonder why there isn't a single other post-'85 vehicle in sight, unless I'm missing one or two. Oh well, no matter.

I love scrutinizing these old pics for information. Would love to know more about the fire scene.

Here's another shot of the fire, showing a little more of the surrounding area. Anybody know where this is? Looks like a mid-to-late-'70s occurrence.
f0124_fl0008_id0085.jpg

Look at this. I assume this is a post-Hazel snap:
f0124_fl0015_id0001.jpg

Last edited:
License Plate clarification and places to find other plate info...

SA: That is a BC front plate from the 1979-85 issue that was made by Acme Signalization using Quebec-style characters. I have at least one in my LP collection...there was a large rectangular sticker that was placed in the box on the rear plate only.

Stumack: I have looked at info concerning the Ontario passenger plate issues
thru ALPCA and other knowledgeable collector's web pages and was able to get
more accurate date information-sometimes it does not pay to guess or rely strictly on old memories...

There are good links for more information like: For BC plates:
www.bcpl8s.ca/ or other Canadian provinces: www.canplates.com/ and a page concerning plates from 1969-date: www.15q.net/
Many links accompany them...LI MIKE

Last edited:
license plates

Just thought LI Mike and others would be amused by the vanity plate I used for a couple of years. It certainly turned a lot of heads!

Attachments

• saw ufo.jpg
    saw ufo.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 260
Here's another shot of the fire, showing a little more of the surrounding area. Anybody know where this is? Looks like a mid-to-late-'70s occurrence.
f0124_fl0008_id0085.jpg

That building in the background with the monitor *seems* familiar, if it's any clue.

Oh, and nice to be reminded of those ultra-70s orange plastic keep-right median markers...

SA: That is a BC front plate from the 1979-85 issue that was made by Acme Signalization using Quebec-style characters. I have at lest one in my LP collection...there was a large rectangular sticker that was placed in the box on the rear plate only.
OK, thanks for clearing up that.
Goldie said:
Just thought LI Mike and others would be amused by the vanity plate I used for a couple of years. It certainly turned a lot of heads!
Were you present at Roswell?:p
adma said:
That building in the background with the monitor *seems* familiar, if it's any clue.
No, I haven't the foggiest where it is. Looks like some derelict industrial area, maybe in East York or Etobicoke.

That truck crash on the Gardiner was a nasty one-so that's where all that Tide Detergent ended up...that road ended up being cleaned in more ways then one!

Observations from LI MIKE - P.S. Happy New Year to All-one of my first posts of 2010!

The description of the picture says it was at the 401 & Islington, while this one says "St Phillip's Bridge after Hurricane Hazel"

Look at this. I assume this is a post-Hazel snap:
f0124_fl0015_id0001.jpg

Here is another one - Lawrence Ave bridge
f0124_fl0008_id0011.jpg

OK, thanks for clearing up that.

Were you present at Roswell?:p

No, I haven't the foggiest where it is. Looks like some derelict industrial area, maybe in East York or Etobicoke.

OK then! i think we've pretty much established that the trail to find the location of the fire has "gone cold", unless some amateur gumshoe out there wants to use up some serious leather, roaming the environs of the greater GTA searching for evidence amongst the uh, 1500 or so industrial parks built in the last 40 years.

in the meanwhile, while we wait for "breaking news" and "new developments"...

f0124_fl0009_id0015.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0011.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0141.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0019.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0127.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0118.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0065.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0014.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0006.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0005.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0037.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0044.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0115.jpg

f0124_fl0009_id0104.jpg

f0124_fl0008_id0085.jpg

Is it the parcel east of the Don and south of Eastern Ave, with the BMW building visible in the picture?

Come to think of it, the picture could also be at Lower Sumach & Eastern looking south, across the property where All City Storage* now sits.

* I wish this would burn instead--what a dreadful street presence this place has.

Is it the parcel east of the Don and south of Eastern Ave, with the BMW building visible in the picture?

No. Lever Brothers isn't visible.

Come to think of it, the picture could also be at Lower Sumach & Eastern looking south, across the property where All City Storage* now sits.
Hmm, that's a good guess. The area certainly looks right: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sour...noid=PnWpa0WpWs-lxKITwrZowg&cbp=12,171.3,,0,5

OK then! i think we've pretty much established that the trail to find the location of the fire has "gone cold", unless some amateur gumshoe out there wants to use up some serious leather, roaming the environs of the greater GTA searching for evidence amongst the uh, 1500 or so industrial parks built in the last 40 years.

in the meanwhile, while we wait for "breaking news" and "new developments"...
I suppose you're being sarcastic, implying that I shouldn't waste anyone's time with such trivial matters as identifying the location of a picture. Well, it's done around here all the time, and many members seem to pride themselves in their knowledge of Toronto and environs. So don't get your panties in a knot. If nobody knows where this is, so be it, and this thread will move on, but I happen to be interested and thought I would ask. I'll be sure to run any potential questions or comments by you next time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

I actually think it's a little further east on the other side of Cherry St--the map you post is Sackville & Eastern, but my guess is Lower Sumach & Eastern.

Still, I would have expected to see the Canary Restraunt building at Front & Eastern, or some of the Distillery buildings on the horizon.

The area in the photo looks too high traffic to be anywhere on the Portlands.

Hmm, that's a good guess. The area certainly looks right: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sour...noid=PnWpa0WpWs-lxKITwrZowg&cbp=12,171.3,,0,5

I suppose you're being sarcastic, implying that I shouldn't waste anyone's time with such trivial matters as identifying the location of a picture. Well, it's done around here all the time, and many members seem to pride themselves in their knowledge of Toronto and environs. So don't get your panties in a knot. If nobody knows where this is, so be it, and this thread will move on, but I happen to be interested and thought I would ask. I'll be sure to run any potential questions or comments by you next time.:rolleyes:

yes---i know, i posted the photos, and i started the thread. i also have spent a great deal of time looking for interesting materials to post on my threads.

my somewhat tongue in cheek post is actually in response to you being sarcastic about another forumer posting on MY thread. Long Island Mike has a very specific and interesting role here with his vast knowledge of license plates and cars, and i always welcome his input. given that, its not really up to you to respond to one of his posts with a sarcastic "OK, thanks for clearing up that."

if you want to be sarcastic about the contributions of other forumers, please start your own threads. if you do it on mine, i will always call you out. sorry, its just my policy.

Back