News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 946     1 

Montréal Transit Developments

CBC Radio-Canada is also reporting that the ARTM is almost ready to announce a 'light rail' that would replace the REM East. They say that it would cost 13 Billion because it would be at street level. But the article makes it unclear whether the LRT will be a street-running tram or not.

Thanks for these. Not surprised that CBC would have way better renders. Their digital platform is the best of any media outlet in the country, and they know what they're doing.

Never mind the potato quality from the weak minds at Postmedia/The Gazette.

CBC Radio-Canada is also reporting that the ARTM is almost ready to announce a 'light rail' that would replace the REM East. They say that it would cost 13 Billion because it would be at street level. But the article makes it unclear whether the LRT will be a street-running tram or not.

Sounds like whatever it is, it will be a downgrade from REM. But I'll hope for the best.

I would read the section below as suggesting the majority of route is not on-street.

Though what that means isn't clear to me. The obvious choice would using a rail corridor for a much of the route as is practical.

1705510018434.png

I would read the section below as suggesting the majority of route is not on-street.

Though what that means isn't clear to me. The obvious choice would using a rail corridor for a much of the route as is practical.

View attachment 533746

I saw that! The French text is saying that it has a right of way. That can just look like Edmonton LRT with its crossing gates but still on street level. It isn't clear to me if they mean it is totally separated from traffic.

Or maybe by 'tramway' they just mean Toronto Streetcars? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 533746
There is a long ROW along Victoria St that used to be a rail line. I presume this is what they are referring to.

I’d say option 2 and 6 are the most compelling.
I'm not a fan of the Metro option (6) having only 4 to 6 stations on an 8.5km line. At that point, you are reaching express-style station spacings, which leaves a lot of gaps in the middle that would require busses. I feel 1 station every 1km should be the average.

Option 2 has many connection points to the Metro and EXO, I like how it could potentially fill many gaps in between the existing stations. Ideally, this would be built as a BRT as a precursor to a Skytrain/REM style line in the future, as they do in Vancouver.

The REM and Place Bonaventure are in talks to open an accessible shortcut (shown in red) between Gare Central and the Bonaventure Metro Station.
The article states that this path was part of the originally plan but was blocked of for unspecified reasons. It seems the only thing blocking this path is a locked door and a 'safety study'.
1705697325502.png

The REM and Place Bonaventure are in talks to open an accessible shortcut (shown in red) between Gare Central and the Bonaventure Metro Station.
The article states that this path was part of the originally plan but was blocked of for unspecified reasons. It seems the only thing blocking this path is a locked door and a 'safety study'.
View attachment 534162

Toronto: We are having issues connecting Dundas West and Bloor GO because of private lands in between which we need to expropriate and the developers are not being easy to get along with.

Montreal: THE DOOR IS LOCKED!!

Some Montreal councilors want the CDPQ to add a REM station between the (indefinitely delayed) Griffintown-Bernard-Landry station and Nun's Island station. They hope it will be near Bridge Street, where the city plans 20k housing units.

Toronto: We are having issues connecting Dundas West and Bloor GO because of private lands in between which we need to expropriate and the developers are not being easy to get along with.

Montreal: THE DOOR IS LOCKED!!

Which is worse? Deferring fixing a real, but very fixable issue or deferring fixing a non-issue? LOL

La Presse reports that the Griffintown station will start construction in 2027. CDPQ is studying whether to construct that station or not. (they really missed the boat on not building it with the other stations)

The City of Montreal has announced that they would like the Griffintown station to be built in the location previously announced. They also asked for another station at the Bridge & Wellington Street intersection.

Back