News   May 17, 2024
 2.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

miWay Transit

185 seems kinda pointless.

Most Dixie riders are south of the transitway. So by design 185 already excludes most current riders of the 5. It won't serve the busiest section of the Dixie corridor... and no connection to Burnhamthorpe, Bloor and Dundas, those are the main transfer points.

And BT route 18 goes down to Meyerside, and 185 won't go much further than that. What is the point?

185 will be like 2/3 the length of 103. I don't see why it has to be so short, especially for an express route. If 185 served Dixie Mall, 103 and 185 would be same length.

185 seems kinda pointless.

Most Dixie riders are south of the transitway. So by design 185 already excludes most current riders of the 5. It won't serve the busiest section of the Dixie corridor... and no connection to Burnhamthorpe, Bloor and Dundas, those are the main transfer points.

And BT route 18 goes down to Meyerside, and 185 won't go much further than that. What is the point?

I agree - it should go all the way to Dixie Mall, if not Long Branch. My guess is that this is meant first to serve industrial workers, making an easy transfer at the Transitway. Part of the first step of Mississauga's plan to eliminate much of the industrial routings and add more express routes.

I agree - it should go all the way to Dixie Mall, if not Long Branch. My guess is that this is meant first to serve industrial workers, making an easy transfer at the Transitway. Part of the first step of Mississauga's plan to eliminate much of the industrial routings and add more express routes.
I agree since how are the buses going to be loop since there isn't a loop area on the west side of the Transitway now?? You could use the parking lot to turn around since it empty these days.

There is a left turning lane off Dixie to get to/from the Transitway.

Bulk of the riders are from the south starting at Dundas.

Its another way to justify the Transitway in the first place.

To "justify the transitway" wouldnt it have made more sense for the 185 to also go south and serve Dixie Mall.

I think the main problem might be Brampton Transit's involvement. To have Brampton buses going all the way to Dixie Mall would be asking too much.

Maybe MT doesn't have enough Express buses to spare right now and so they make Brampton help temporarily. Otherwise MT could easily provide the service by themselves.

To "justify the transitway" wouldnt it have made more sense for the 185 to also go south and serve Dixie Mall.

I think the main problem might be Brampton Transit's involvement. To have Brampton buses going all the way to Dixie Mall would be asking too much.

Maybe MT doesn't have enough Express buses to spare right now and so they make Brampton help temporarily. Otherwise MT could easily provide the service by themselves.
MT is hard up for buses these days to the point you have local on express routes and express on locals.

Time for Peel Transit and that will deal with the issue.

First off, there is a bus loop west of Dixie Station along the entrance road from Encino Street.

Second off, the final MiWay Five plan has yet to be presented to and approved by city council. The 185 comes into fruition as a result of recommendations of a study performed by Metrolinx regarding transportation in the Pearson airport area. You can read that report here: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...s/Airport_Area_Study-Executive_Summary_EN.pdf

The 185 is not about cutting the 105 short or even justifying the transitway, more so complimenting it with regional connectivity to the large employment area of SE Brampton while also providing patrons from Brampton one less transfer to access the large employment centres around the Airport in Mississauga. With that being said, the 185 may also encourage people to use the transitway, who can benefit from its existence yet have yet to incorporate it into their commute.

Third off, there are more than enough express buses in the MiWay fleet right now. We have 78 express buses and there are only 59 express buses required during peak hours. This break down is for the September board period:
101 AM/PM 13 buses
103 AM 11 buses, PM 12 buses
107 AM/PM 10 buses
109 AM/PM 12 buses
110 AM 10 buses, PM 9 buses
185 AM/PM 3 buses.

There are also more than enough local buses in the fleet per average spare ratios. I will touch on that issue later today and what problems may be contributing to apparent fleet shortages.

MT is hard up for buses these days to the point you have local on express routes and express on locals.

Time for Peel Transit and that will deal with the issue.
Maybe I read that through too "Bramptonist" ears but you seem to be saying Mississauga is short of buses, merge MiWay and BT and Mississauga will no longer be short of buses.....so the grand vision of a merger of the two systems is that buses currently servicing Brampton would shift south? Sounds appealing ;)

Actually, Regional transit makes perfect sense. With more inter-municipal routes now, not to mention development coming to south Caledon, I see it as inevitable. Even if Mississauga should become independent, a shared transit system would be smart.

Actually, Regional transit makes perfect sense. With more inter-municipal routes now, not to mention development coming to south Caledon, I see it as inevitable. Even if Mississauga should become independent, a shared transit system would be smart.
Regional transit is long over due and has been the heart of Metrolinx since it came out of the door in 2007.

One only has to look at Durham and York to see how it work, let alone going to the US. I have a report going back to 2003 that is supported by Metrolinx calling for various systems routes be taken over by another that will benefit everyone, but not by various systems because of their ego.

Riders don't care what bus shows up at their stop so long it get them to where they want to go to in the first place.

We only have another 5 months to deal with the passes issue. Come 2016, it will make no different what bus you get on, your 2 hours transfer starts then.

On the subject of bus shortages at MiWay, over the past couple years MiWay has been experiencing a seemingly never ending shortage of buses out of the Central garage. So let's break things down so you all can better understand the situation.
Central garage is currently assigned 316* local buses (all buses except for 2 2003 D40LFs, 2 2005 D40LFs, all 2006 D40LFRs, 12 2008 D60LFRs and 5 2007 Eldorado 30 foot buses which compose Malton's fleet) and all 78 express buses. *Come the September board period Central is losing 4 runs to Malton, 3 rush hour runs on the 51 and one base run on the 35. Let's just assume that Central will give up 6 buses to Malton, so we'll play with 310 local buses at Central come September.
Effective September 7th out of Central there will be:
308 AM runs (59 Express runs and 249 local runs)
303 PM runs (59 Express runs and 244 local runs)

With 310* local buses and with a 249 bus AM peak requirement and 244 bus PM peak requirement, that means Central is running with a local bus spare ratio of 24.5% in the morning and 27% in the afternoon, ratios the TTC would be envious of. With 78 express buses and a 59 bus peak requirement, that brings a whopping spare ratio of 32% for the express fleet. The TTC is budgeted to run with a 18% routine maintenance ratio and a 5% capital spares ratio for a combined 23% spare ratio as of next year, currently the routine maintenance ratio is 16.8%.

Yet we still see express buses on local runs and sometimes, but not as often, we see local buses on express runs.

If you're seeing local buses on express runs, it is likely because that run pulls out of the garage late into the rush hour period at which point express buses have already been allocated to local runs to fill in for their local counterparts, sometimes late starting express runs are outright cancelled and sometimes they are able to get a local bus out of maintenance to cover the run. Sometimes those local buses will stay out all day, sometimes they get replaced by an express bus later in the day. Another occurrence is when an express bus breaks down and a local bus which sits as the spare at Square One replaces it to minimize delays, once again sometimes these local buses are left out all day and sometimes they are replaced with an express bus later in the day.

Local buses are the real culprit here though, for whatever reason there never seems to be enough to cover all of the local runs. By all means with the spare ratios they have, they should have more than enough buses available for service, yet more often than not we see express buses on local runs.

I have considered a few different theories behind this odd shortage, one of those is the setup of the Central Parkway garage, which essentially operates as two storage facilities operating out of one property, CP (the older storage building) and CX (known as the Annex, the new storage building that opened in 2009). CP stores all express buses, articulated buses along with some of the 30 foot and 40 foot buses. CX stores all of the hybrids and the rest of the fleet. Since runs are scheduled to pull out of either CP or CX, I figured this was a case of them running out of local buses at CP and instead of sending drivers over to the other storage site, they were simply sending out drivers with express buses from CP instead. Turns out runs scheduled out of CX have also been allocated express buses, so that debunks that theory.
Another theory I had was that with the amount of split crews on the rise, there are a lot more driver reliefs occurring during the startup of the PM rush and since there aren't enough relief cars to go around, buses are used and thus tying buses up as PM rush hour service builds up. Since this only goes on in the PM rush, this clearly isn't the root problem here and may simply contribute to the shortage in the PM peak period which has a slightly lower peak requirement.

Not too surprisingly my last theory is the subcontracting out of maintenance activities to various sublet repair shops. A while ago the city established a pre-authorized list of vendors (vendors of record) to supply various parts and sublet repairs for transit buses. If the sublet repair shops could execute the repairs quicker and/or cheaper than in-house staff, then the buses would be sent to their shops for repairs rather than simply sending the parts to MiWay. I have witnessed a fair share of buses spending more than a couple of days parked in these various repair shops lot's and wouldn't doubt that buses being sent offsite for maintenance aren't being fixed as quickly as we are lead to think and is contributing to these shortages. Information regarding these vendors can be found in this general committee agenda: http://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/agendas/committees/general/10_23_2013_GC_Agenda_.pdf

6 years ago the city put to tender consulting services to develop and implement what we now know as the MiWay brand with the express and local bus distinction. Being able to see a color of a bus from a far and being able to tell if it's your bus or not is great and all, however when we have this blatant mismanagement of fleet resources causing those expected colors of buses and routes not to match up, that simply erodes away at the brand that taxpayers paid to create and that is a shame.

I was doing some number crunching to go with the 5 year service plan and it show it will not do much for changing the model split. Unless transit start seeing 5% in funding to put 30 minutes or less service on the road 7 days a week as well 7/24, not going to change the split.

In fact if you based 3% yearly growth on 85,000 riders representing 11% the current model split and 3% on 750,000 residents, the model split will be 8.8% come 2045 under the service plan.

To get to 20% by 2020, you will only have 98,530 using 3% increase, not the 173,891 to match the city 3% growth. Going from 85,000 to 173,891 in 5 year requires a huge boost in service 7 days a week.

Where and how we start increasing service starts with the 2016 budget this fall.

Apart from the 185 already discussed, there aren't many changes for September. A few routes get additional runs or extensions of runs on Sunday mornings and evenings on routes 1, 3, 5, 7, 19, 26, 42; the 103 has a few later buses on Saturdays, otherwise it's mostly minor schedule adjustments and restoration of fall/winter service to Humber College and UTM.

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/servicechanges

It says January will be implementation of MiWay 5, so I guess we'll have to wait until then for major improvements, whatever the reason.

It says January will be implementation of MiWay 5, so I guess we'll have to wait until then for major improvements, whatever the reason.
Need a approve budget first and that process starts in the fall.

The Mickey Mouse folks at MT continue to be cheap and clueless how to inform riders on long detours.

Found a 4 x 6 detour notice schedule for Aug 31 to Jan 30, 2016 on a shelter that wasn't there yesterday. A new rider would be clueless to know how the detour will work as well where to catch it on this notices.

It adds an extra 10 minute walking distance for me for either of these buses.

I hope they put a stop on the west side of Hurontario on Elm as well block the cars from parking there in the first place as its a long walk to the last Elm stop to Hurontario as well getting to the east side.

They have posted this notice on the stop sign above people heads where there is no shelters. How Dumb
20905347532_b7f0877444_b.jpg

Back