News   May 01, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 361     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 366     0 

Mississauga Ridership Growth Strategy

I don't agree with Mr Ianicca at all... Mississauga is not a completely suburban environment and I prefer a grid-based transit system.

Hey there, Doady,

You wrote:

I don't agree with Mr Ianicca at all... Mississauga is not a completely suburban environment and I prefer a grid-based transit system.

OK, but what about his main message. That people will cling to their cars preferring that others take transit rather than them.

And that part about transit being a "service" to get those who can't afford cars from one place to another.

When MT first introduced the routes 1C and 24 to UTM back in September 2003, very few returning students used the service; it was mostly just the first-year students using it. Then in September 2004, it was first- and second-year students using the service, and then up to third-year in 2005, and nowadays the buses that were once empty are now packed.

I saw this first-hand and so I don't have much hope for MT to get the old generations of people to completely abandon their cars and take transit. It just won't happen and this is why I don't like the marketing of VIVA. But you can at the very least delay a car-reliant lifestyle in the new generation, and even that is a huge difference.

Also, despite what Councillor Iannicca suggests, there are A LOT of people going to UTM who use transit, and in fact recently voted in favour a school-wide transit pass that ALL students pay for.

In Praise of Mississauga Transit (at The Mississauga Marathon)

498218692_4ec11bc86f_o.jpg

MISSISSAUGA TRANSIT at the MISSISSAUGA MARATHON

Missy Transit was really something on Sunday...

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

Back