News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 411     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I don't know if any one else has mentioned this but Forumer 'One Nut Kruk'?! pointed out to me that more aerial photos have been put up on the Toronto Archives website, and you don't need the MrSid plug-in that everyone hates so much/can't use to see them. They're in jpeg2000 format, they include bits of Markham/Vaughan/Pickering and are for the years 1947, 1953, 1957, 1962, 1971, 1983 and 1992.
http://www.toronto.ca/archives/aerial.htm

Those maps are wonderful. Thanks for the tip, Anna.
I've spent the last two hours studying many of the alterations to Toronto's landscape over those many years - fascinating!

I'll bet not many will be able to name this 1947 location - Hint, It's now the geographic centre of Toronto.

Aerial IBM site at 844 Don Mills 1947.jpg

Attachments

• Aerial IBM site at 844 Don Mills 1947.jpg
    Aerial IBM site at 844 Don Mills 1947.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 922
Given the lay of the land and the arc of the tracks--around present-day Don Mills/Leslie/Eglinton?

Given the lay of the land and the arc of the tracks--around present-day Don Mills/Leslie/Eglinton?
bingo

down the right side, the farms east of don mills road

leaside industrial area (research/vanderhoof/wicksteed) in lower left

1884 cp bridge over the west don clearly visible

sunnybrook park area at extreme top left

"oriole spur" arcing off the cp mainline to the top left

Here's an approximation of how the Celestica complex (formerly IBM) fits into the once-rural, 1947 landscape.

Eglinton:Don Mills.jpg

Attachments

• Eglinton:Don Mills.jpg
    Eglinton:Don Mills.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,098
Hi,

Does anybody know how to download the full detailed jp2000 images from the Toronto Archives? It appears that each jp2 is created by lots of smaller jpg files.

Thanks.

Thank you dazednconfuzed68!

By the way everyone, there is a 'street photography' themed exhibit in the lobby of the Toronto Archives.

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/pdf/life-on-the-grid.pdf

Many of the pictures are from the 1980s and 90s, an era that most of us can relate to. It was neat to see images of street scenes that are 20 years old and remembering businesses long gone but feeling as if I had just gone into them last week.

I found this post card that predates the 1974 renovation of the restaurant.

POSTCARD - TORONTO - LA PENTOLA RESTAURANT - STREETCAR RESTAURANT - 1671 EGLINTON E - 1970s.jpg

Attachments

• POSTCARD - TORONTO - LA PENTOLA RESTAURANT - STREETCAR RESTAURANT - 1671 EGLINTON E - 1970s.jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - LA PENTOLA RESTAURANT - STREETCAR RESTAURANT - 1671 EGLINTON E - 1970s.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,020
I remember reading about it in Mike Filey's book "Not a One Horse Town". I'm sorry I wasn't around to see it in person.

There is one more PCC next to the driveway to a farm off Highway 6 in Puslinch. It's been repainted, but not in entirely accurate colours. With the streetcar museum in Rockwood so close, I think I would have contacted them to colour match.

He-eeey boys and girls. Time for another drag on Mustapha's magical back-in-time ciggy [cue sitar music]. :)

Let's go back to the early 1970s and have a look at the demolition of the Ford Hotel on the NE corner of Dundas and Bay.

Awesome Set!

I was just about to mention that one, when up popped a photo. Thanks for all the searching.

I don't know if any one else has mentioned this but Forumer 'One Nut Kruk'?! pointed out to me that more aerial photos have been put up on the Toronto Archives website, and you don't need the MrSid plug-in that everyone hates so much/can't use to see them. They're in jpeg2000 format, they include bits of Markham/Vaughan/Pickering and are for the years 1947, 1953, 1957, 1962, 1971, 1983 and 1992.
http://www.toronto.ca/archives/aerial.htm
Happy Thanksgiving weekend everyone.

Here is said streetcar in situ in 1983
View attachment 18933

Fantastic! They have Brampton and Mississauga as well in 1971 at least.

Back