News   May 17, 2024
 781     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 502     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 5.2K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I don't recall that any hangars have been identified in this aerial, have they?

just for interest sake. here is an aerial shot courtesy crother's caterpillar... laird and millwood looking north.

aerial crothers.jpg

Attachments

• aerial crothers.jpg
    aerial crothers.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 987
Last edited:
looks like that's redway road in the centre foreground, running down the hill to the sewage plant

was there a date for this photo, koolgreen?

edit: added screenshot of similar viewpoint via here.com's Maps 3D feature --

redway.jpg

Attachments

• redway.jpg
    redway.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 831
Last edited:
People keep referring to this tank as part of the areodrome, but I am not convinced. In all of the shots of the field, there were little to no structures at this spot. I am more apt to believe this tank was the heating oil tank for the building that is there now. Considering these tanks do not last that long underground, I find it hard to believe that it was there pre WWII. The type of "oil" found in the tank would also indicate what it was originally used for. In the time of the Areodrome it would have been aviation gasoline and not "oil".
The three "hangers" seem to be at the east end of the canada wire buildings. They seem to have been re used for a time by Canada wire as well. This is almost centre in the arieal shot, on the south side of wicksteed. Three in a row.

And the latest house netry is indeed charming!

There have been car dealers there as well at least back to 1985 when I bought a first generation hyundai from P&A auto. So this could even have been a waste oil container for the garage.....

There have been car dealers there as well at least back to 1985 when I bought a first generation hyundai from P&A auto. So this could even have been a waste oil container for the garage.....
i'm partial to the aerodrome theory (for the tank behind the staple's that ruptured a few years ago)

there was an aircraft hanger there -- see the second map in this post under the "A"

Then and Now for Jan 20. Lots of wwwebster pictures lately and more to come. All hail the webster. :)

Then. Back to the online Toronto Archive pics today; to give the webster a break. St. Clair Ave. Looking W from outside the TTC station entrance. c1962ish. That's a Corvair car coming along towards the camera and they came out in 1960. The rest of the cars look early 60ish, hence my guess.

s0648_fl0164_id0001.jpg

In light of the loblaws takeover of sdm....I wonder about tamblyn.
what was the relationship between loblaws and tamblyn.
I have vague memories of captain kirk plugging both loblaws and tamblyn maybe circa 1980??
when more than the price was right!!

Great photos Goldie. Do you know of a mushroom farm , with photos , that was around here somewhere?

I remember the mushroom farm on the north east corner of oconnor and sunrise....
It was across from the old canadian tire store that used to be there.
the can tire gas station is still there......

Here's one of a thing rather than a place. Whether we've made progress is up to the viewer to decide :) :

Waste receptacle a century ago:
s0372_ss0070_it0001.jpg

(trial?) waste receptacle today:

[via @johnlorinc]

Hmm, looks like more than one design was in use:
s0372_ss0070_it0098.jpg

Last edited:

Back