News   May 13, 2024
 13     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Well, while we are picking nits: I noticed that this house, in common with many of it's vintage in the older parts of Toronto, still retains the ineffective bathroom vent pipe. I had one of these and upgraded to a powered fan. In my kitchen, I knocked a hole through the brick myself and had an electrician wire up a vent hood. I believe that in this day and age for health's sake good ventilation is a must. I feel strong enough about it that I feel it should be a retrofit bylaw.

TKWizard, thank you for a great series.

I suspect most of these vents were for the plumbing to breath rather than to exhaust fumes.

all drains should have a vent to drain properly.

re: Esplanade train picture

It's so very strange to have half of a picture that looks somewhat familiar, and the other half just completely foreign.

Just as a heads-up, the foot of Bayview is just starting to get some of the park installed there. If you are down that way, it might be good to take some pics while the place is still barren. When I reviewed this thread, I often wondered what it would be like to have a bicycle and run around Toronto in the 1930's for about a week. Also, I would wonder if I would stick out with the way I acted, behaved, and how I spoke. I think it would be fascinating to look around. I also wonder what we currently take for granted, as major swaths of Toronto have been levelled in order to put up things like the Eaton Centre, New City Hall, etc.

I think Toronto has a mandate to grow on a serious level. The GTA isn't that far behind London England, but I'm not sure if they are comparable entities. The GTA has 75% more area and currently a much lower density. This could prove interesting.

I wonder how many of us have fantasized about going back and trying to fit in with imaging technology we have today.
Seeing everything in colour would be so different from what we are accustomed to.
And then money. We would have to buy old money to use back then. Clothing too.
And then what about us visible minority types.
How would we be treated if we were dressed in upper class type clothing?
I thought I was the only person who thought of these things.

I wonder how many of us have fantasized about going back and trying to fit in with imaging technology we have today.
Seeing everything in colour would be so different from what we are accustomed to.

My fantasy era would be around 1925. I would ride and take detailed photos of all the long gone streetcar routes and electric interurban railways. You could board a trolly at Yonge and Birch and ride all the way to Sutton Ontario, or grab the Toronto Suburban at Keele and Dundas and not have to get off until you arrive in Guelph.

Paul

Well, technically, Louis CK has mentioned this (NSFW Language)

[video=youtube;TG4f9zR5yzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY[/video]

Bay-Adelaide S/E corner 1930
Clearly visible was the tallest building in the British Empire - the 34-storey Bank of Commerce.

Trump Tower at Bay/Adelaide 2013

railmus, You'll have to help me - which "last pic"?

I can see no flatiron in the 'Trump Tower' pic.

Back