News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 636     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Heya book lovers:

Many of you may know of the University of Toronto's various Colleges having their Fall Book Sales. These aren't text book sales, but general interest books - much recent mass market stuff, some rare-ish stuff, some very rare editions - all reasonably priced, all donated by the Public and Alumni.

I'm certain that many antique book dealers buy here - the selection is that good.

What most of you won't know is that University College's 'Book Sale' as they call it, sells books all year round. There is a smaller selection in room A-102.

To get there, walk north on Kings College Road from College Street towards University College. That's the imposing old building at the top of the Circle. Kings College Road confusingly turns into Kings College Circle - don't let that confuse you - you want to walk around to the west side of University College. You'll then see an opening through to the Quadrangle, that's a fancy word for courtyard, an open area beyond. Walk into this opening and look right; don't walk into the Quadrangle - you'll have gone too far. Look to your right through the glass doors for the entrance to room A102.

Hours are -as their phone message quaintly puts it: 'afternoons Monday and Friday until 4, afternoons Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday until 6.'

Their number: 416-978-0372.

Today I picked up 'Brunelleschi in Perspective', Signor B. being the creator of the famed dome of the Florence Cathedral and re-discoverer of linear perspective; a man and an area of interest near and dear to me. Alas there were no books on Sales Management; an allied interest also near and dear to me as that's what I do, or try, when I'm not here late at night. :)

Anyhoo, my youngest attends U of T; and I'm still supporting him. If you all help out the University College Book Sale you may be helping me out too in some infinitesimal way, as we all know benefits run downhill. :)

Then and Now for June 13, 2013.

Then. 82 Bond Street. c1903. William Lyon Mackenzie House.

114982Bondc1903_zps4acf5145.jpg

Now. May 2013.

1150_zpsc1e10b63.jpg

Then and Now for June 14, 2013.

Then. 299 Yonge Street. c1909. The Harold A. Wilson Co. Limited

1147297-299Yongec1909_zps4e85b6e4.jpg

Now. April 2013. Just relying on my own memory from the 60s, 70s and 80s, the Yonge street side of Yonge Dundas Square was occupied - from Dundas down to Dundas Square: a clothing store, Coles Books, Howard Johnsons hotel and the Downtown theatre. I'm guessing that Wilsons was cleared away for the construction of either the hotel or the theatre.

1148_zps8b923366.jpg

Last edited:
Then and Now for June 13, 2013.

Then. 82 Bond Street. c1903. William Lyon Mackenzie House.

114982Bondc1903_zps4acf5145.jpg

Now. May 2013.

1150_zpsc1e10b63.jpg

According to family legend, my Gggg-grandfather Thomas Storm (father of Toronto architect William Storm) built the gallows that was used to hang the captured rebels after the 1837 rebellion. Had Mackenzie been caught, he'd have swung also.

Now. April 2013. Just relying on my own memory from the 60s, 70s and 80s, the Yonge street side of Yonge Dundas Square was occupied - from Dundas down to Dundas Square: a clothing store, Coles Books, Howard Johnsons hotel and the Downtown theatre. I'm guessing that Wilsons was cleared away for the construction of either the hotel or the theatre.[/IMG]

HoJo wasn't a hotel, it was just a restaurant. (Something forgotten nowadays, given how the brand's given itself almost entirely to hotel accomodation--what was the last stand-alone HoJo restaurant? Times Square?)

Then and Now for June 14, 2013.

Then. 299 Yonge Street. c1909. The Harold A. Wilson Co. Limited

1147297-299Yongec1909_zps4e85b6e4.jpg

...Just relying on my own memory from the 60s, 70s and 80s, the Yonge street side of Yonge Dundas Square was occupied - from Dundas down to Dundas Square: a clothing store, Coles Books, Howard Johnsons hotel and the Downtown theatre. I'm guessing that Wilsons was cleared away for the construction of either the hotel or the theatre.

Good memory. Feb 21, 1974: I think The Harold A. Wilson Co. Limited building is under the Coles. 'Burton's The Store for Men' was at 301.

f1257_s1057_it8223.jpg

The southeast corner of Yonge and Dundas was a great eclectic corner for shops. There used to be a tiny camera store that I used to visit all the time just south of that corner that I've forgotten the name of.

HoJo wasn't a hotel, it was just a restaurant. (Something forgotten nowadays, given how the brand's given itself almost entirely to hotel accomodation--what was the last stand-alone HoJo restaurant? Times Square?)

Thanks adma. I ate a few times at the Times Square HoJo back in the 60s. Not memorable at all. Also ate at Tads Steaks - still grilling tough steaks in Times Square to this day.

Good memory. Feb 21, 1974: I think The Harold A. Wilson Co. Limited building is under the Coles. 'Burton's The Store for Men' was at 301.

f1257_s1057_it8223.jpg

Coles... it wasn't that long ago the only way to get information was on the printed page...

Thanks Anna.

The southeast corner of Yonge and Dundas was a great eclectic corner for shops. There used to be a tiny camera store that I used to visit all the time just south of that corner that I've forgotten the name of.

There was a big-ish camera store a few steps south of the SW corner - Japan Camera. I still have a Minolta 16P subminiature that I bought there.

I miss the old time camera stores of Toronto. It was always a joy to visit the last one - ALT Camera Exchange.

Coles... it wasn't that long ago the only way to get information was on the printed page...

Thanks Anna.

Coles makes me think of high school. Coles carried the required text books, stacks of them in September. Also Coles Notes, a guilty discovery... and later there was the not-so-guilty discovery of Totten's notes. It seems to me Totten's notes were sold on the second floor of a store on the south side of Bloor between Yonge and Bay.

Coles makes me think of high school. Coles carried the required text books, stacks of them in September. Also Coles Notes, a guilty discovery... and later there was the not-so-guilty discovery of Totten's notes. It seems to me Totten's notes were sold on the second floor of a store on the south side of Bloor between Yonge and Bay.

Those Coles notes were the only way I could understand what any particular Shakespearean play was going on about. :)

It's the weekend and time for some non-Toronto content.

As much as many, or perhaps - going out on a limb here - most, of you folks here, like looking at the buildings in these Then and Now views, I get quite some pleasure looking at street scenes.

Street scenes of people going about their business, frozen forever on a film negative.

One of the more fascinating genres of photography is 'street photography'. Images at least several decades old hold a particular attraction for me.

In that vein, please check out the work of Ruth Orkin: Have fun; as many of them are.

http://www.orkinphoto.com/photographs/

Back