News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 437     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for September 4.

Then. Royal York Hotel lobby. The Royal York opened June 11 1929.

751postcard-toronto-royal-york-hotel-main-lobby-sepia-early.jpg

Now. May 2012. It's now called the Fairmont Royal York Hotel.

752.jpg

Very cool, the lemur! Very cool indeed, thank you!

You're most welcome. I enjoyed doing the research (I'm a bit OCD about that, in fact) and it was a bit of an eye-opener in terms of my perception of Winnipeg. Interesting to see that it has some of the same monarchy-related nomenclature to its streets as well.

Then and Now for September 5 2012.

Then. Yonge looking N from just N of Queen. I'm guessing 1914-ish. You can see a glimpse of Albert street on the left. This segment of Albert was built over by the Eaton Centre and exists as an east to west pedestrian passage along the old alignment; Albert still exists of course, but only from the western entrance of the Centre to Bay Street . If I'm not mistaken, there may still be signs inside the Eaton Centre proclaiming 'Albert Way'.

753.jpg

Now. May 2012.

754.jpg

Then and Now for September 6 2012.

Then. Gerrard looking W from Main. September 23 1915. This part of Toronto has the feel of a small town to it. Main street is out of view to the left of the picture - a walk up and down its small-in-scale-unimproved-and-a-bit-dilapidated 'business section' makes Toronto feel far away.

755.jpg

June 2012.

756.jpg

Another pair of views about 100 yard to the W still looking W along Gerrard.

757gerraRDwfronmain.jpg

758.jpg

Then and Now for September 6 2012.

Then. Gerrard looking W from Main. September 23 1915. This part of Toronto has the feel of a small town to it. Main street is out of view to the left of the picture - a walk up and down its small-in-scale-unimproved-and-a-bit-dilapidated 'business section' makes Toronto feel far away.

That's because it was a small town - East Toronto:eek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Toronto

Mustapha, are you sure about the date on the now picture? Because the trees have no leaves and the people seem overdressed for summer. (Also, the price of gas at the station is about 10 cents higher than the June average in Toronto, according to GasBuddy.com. But it matches the average price back in April)

Last edited:
Then and Now for September 5 2012.

Then. Yonge looking N from just N of Queen. I'm guessing 1914-ish. You can see a glimpse of Albert street on the left. This segment of Albert was built over by the Eaton Centre and exists as an east to west pedestrian passage along the old alignment; Albert still exists of course, but only from the western entrance of the Centre to Bay Street . If I'm not mistaken, there may still be signs inside the Eaton Centre proclaiming 'Albert Way'.

753.jpg

Now. May 2012.

754.jpg

The Eastbound streetcar obviously stopped at Main (no more tracks) reversed Westbound on the Eastbound side of the street to the switch a hundred feet or so to the west and moved to the proper side of the street for the rest of the trip. Acceptable in 1915 but unimaginable in later years, any idea when this operation ended?

Back