News   May 17, 2024
 83     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 132     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     5 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The least that they could have done was to tint the mortar!

As for the roofing re Old City Hall, I believe that the "Spanish Tile", didn't last that long,

as few pics show it in place. Regular standing seam sheet copper seems more in evidence for many years.

Regards,
J T

Another well-known clock tower - one-half century ago:

clocktowerUCC1959.jpg

clocktowerUCC1960.jpg

I was quite surprised when I found out they completed UCC's centrepiece building in 1960. It just didn't seem possible in an era when Modernism became so dominant. Yet the details on these 1950s Georgian Revival buildings by Mathers and Haldenby are convincing with quality brick and carved stone.

Last edited:
How about public thermostats, as seems to be the case on the old Mail & Empire Building on the NW corner of King and Bay:

f1231_it2037.jpg

You mean thermometers I'm sure, not thermostats.

What are those things posted on the wall beneath the thermometer?Prints of the dailies maybe - a little high up but people appear to be reading them.

Some thoughts on public clocks:

Back then, public clocks were functional, as well as attractive. Mill owners bought clocks with bells that would tell workers when to return from breaks and when to quit for the day. Watches were the privilege of the middle class, and most workers didn’t own timepieces.

http://www.electrictime.com/news/po...say-about-Old-Style-Public-Street-Clocks.aspx

(snipping an excellent article)

Most mills and factories used to (and many still do) have regular bells or whistles to signal the beginning or end of a shift.
One thing about workers and watches: in a shop with machinery, wearing a watch can be an invitation to lose a limb or worse. Even if someone had a watch, it would be left in his locker.

June 3 addition.

Then. "September 20, 1915. 464 Dupont street."

Nothing particularly spectacular about todays Then picture except I do believe that exceptional looking lighting device to be a gas lamp. It was probably a curiosity by 1915. Gas lamps are still in use in some cities' historic districts; usually to convey a nostalgic effect.

31.jpg

Gas piping was still being installed alongside the wiring for the "new" lighting well into the 20's and maybe as far as the 30's.
Some people still did not think the new electricity would take off. The beautiful lamp on the porch is a three mantle and would have been quite bright. The mantle lamp was introduced to compete with the new electric bulb. Most people are familiar with mantle lamps in the form of Coleman lamps. I have the top half of a gas fixture similar to this one, wish I could find the rest of it in good shape. I still use a number of gas mantle lamps at our cottage as we have no grid hydro.

Spanish tile was somewhat popular at one point in the late 19th century for landmark buildings, but it just doesn't seem appropriate to northern regions in terms of aesthetics. There are southern regions where every building has them, so I associate them with the south. However, they could work on buildings used for buildings used exclusively during warm seasons, like a swimming pavilion.

As the huge condos go up along Balmuto, I seem to recall earlier days of little shops on the east side of the street. I think there was a shop called the Gold Shoppe (can anyone confirm this?). Having said that, here's the THEN picture of the South East corner of Bloor & Balmuto on June 13 1927.
s0372_ss0003_it0688.jpg

And here is the NOW
IMG_0079.jpg

Last edited:
I expect that the dangers involved in sending up roofers to replace a few tiles on roofs with such a steep pitch would have accounted for that.

And also, perhaps, because copper had more of a "Chateau Style" stylishness. (But one pitfall of copper: the oxidization process leaches into stone...)

As the huge condos go up along Balmuto, I seem to recall earlier days of little shops on the east side of the street. I think there was a shop called the Gold Shoppe (can anyone confirm this?). Having said that, here's the THEN picture of the South East corner of Bloor & Balmuto on June 13 1927.
s0372_ss0003_it0688.jpg

There in the Then picture is the back of the Uptown theatre; cool.

June 6 addition.

Then. A typical mid-town Yonge street photo of the 1980s. WE are looking N from Davisville. A couple of "walk up" apartment buildings on the left. In the right distance, the OHIP building at Yonge and Eglinton (with the large elevator machine room on top).

yonge1987.jpg

Now. April 2011. The OHIP building has been replaced by the very tall Minto Midtown Quantum Towers condominiums. Our walk ups have disappeared too.

DSC_0200.jpg

Last edited:
Book store on Balmuto

As the huge condos go up along Balmuto, I seem to recall earlier days of little shops on the east side of the street. I think there was a shop called the Gold Shoppe (can anyone confirm this?).

s0372_ss0003_it0688.jpg

Until Mustapha identified the Uptown Theatre in this photo, I was unaware of the location.
Now I recall the street because it was where I discovered an amazing book store 20-30 years ago.
It was either called Theatre Books or Cinema Books and was on the second floor (see attached).
The magnificent collection of film and film-making books always interested me.

Attachments

• book store.jpg
    book store.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 247
The Gold Shoppe

s0372_ss0003_it0688.jpg

And here is the NOW
IMG_0079.jpg

I worked at The Old Gold Shoppe in the early 70s and it was at 85 Bloor W., west of Bay. I believe the shop spent most of its long life at that address but moved during its later years to a side street, which might have been Balmuto. Just not sure. I think also it might have dropped the 'Old' somewhere along the way.

June 7 addition.

Then. "John Street Pumping Station Nov. 28 1929."

JohnStreetPumpingStationNov281929.jpg

Now. April 2011. We are looking E towards the Rogers Centre. Spadina Avenue is behind us. A new pumping station is located to the S of Rogers Centre.

DSC_0204.jpg

Back