News   May 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 454     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

April 17 addition.

Yonge and Finch for the next few days.

And away we go.

All Then pictures taken in 1972. All Now pictures taken in April 2011.

Looking N at the NW corner.

yongeandfinchlookingNattheNWcornerca1972.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

Can the Toronto transit buffs tell us if any original paving stones between streetcar tracks remain? They were murder to drive on. .
It's a small stretch but I know of the streetcar east and south turn from Dundas to Victoria and vice versa that goes under the archway at the (new) City TV Building. The track there is due to be replaced in 2012 so it will presumably go then.

It's a small stretch but I know of the streetcar east and south turn from Dundas to Victoria and vice versa that goes under the archway at the (new) City TV Building. The track there is due to be replaced in 2012 so it will presumably go then.

Ah. worth a look for old times sake then. Thanks DSC.

40 years at least then for the pharmacy. A long long time for an independently operated business. I wonder if a UTer in the neighbourhood could possibly drop in and ask about the continuity.

I worked with a gentleman who, as a young lad, delivered on bicycle for them back in the early 1950's. So it's at least 50-60+ years.

April 15 addition.

Then. "1911. Fairbank Twp. View is looking north from Rochdale Avenue. Harvie Avenue is on left. Nairn Avenue is on right. Rowntree Creek runs through centre of photograph. Prospect Cemetery is upper left."

Just to simplify things: those two houses I've circled in red are actually on the north side Rochdale Avenue. We are looking directly north.

Should've said you were in the neighbourhood (this is about 150 yards from my house. I'd've had you over for tea and shown you around.

Definitely worthwhile - Beckers & Cadet Cleaners together again...

Thanks Anna. I remember that excellent thread now. Still, many digital bytes gave up their lives for my pictures so I will post them. :) Here they are all in one go.

YongeStreetatFinchAvenueca1972lookingSEintherightdistanceistheNEcorner.jpg

The MT: T&N discussion from about a year ago about this house was mentioned in 'North Toronto Today'.
f1244_it7152.jpg

40 years at least then for the pharmacy. A long long time for an independently operated business. I wonder if a UTer in the neighbourhood could possibly drop in and ask about the continuity.

I've been in the neighbourhood about 30 years, what would you like to know? :)

A very young Ed grew up in this area and remembers these scenes quite well. Thanks for the memories.

You're welcome, and, looking at the Wimpys reminds me that several have come and gone in the downtown core. One was on the south side of Dundas between University and Centre. Didn't last long - about two years I think.

Definitely worthwhile - Beckers & Cadet Cleaners together again...

The MT: T&N discussion from about a year ago about this house was mentioned in 'North Toronto Today'.
f1244_it7152.jpg

Yes, the author referred to us here at UT and this thread but wasn't able to ID the exact location either. Would love to know and do a Then and Now.

Back