News   May 10, 2024
 899     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

CawthraHouse.jpg

What a family history remains to be written of the Cawthra family, worthy of The Forsyte Saga, and such a Toronto tale, dating back over 200 years. One of their descendents, Anthony Adamson, the architectural preservationist, wrote a family biography called Wasps in the Attic(1987), in which he described that the family succeeding generations""went mad from snobbery and everybody began to hate everybody else." Adamson held the "belief in writing and in person that the Cawthras were all lunatic snobs or bloodsuckers. He notes that the Cawthra family would today be much larger if so many members had not died in their first or second year of life. He claims he believes that something in the Cawthra genes either killed them or made them crazy, and he marvels that his mother somehow escaped the curse".
(http://cawthra-bush.org/HISTORICAL/his5.htm)

The Cawthra mansion on Jarvis at Isabella 1919:

cawthra1919.jpg

Last edited:
A lot going on here the last couple of days, huh goldie? :)

I hope everyone is well and enjoying their summer.

August 18 addition.

Then. May 15, 1914. London and Markham street, SW corner.

f1231_it0647.jpg

Now. July 2010. Our old police station is now an ambulance headquarters.

DSC_0434.jpg

Mustapha, yesterday you said "I wonder how many of these old pictures show ancestors of our families or neighbours? Quite some time ago in this thread nomoreatorontonian mentioned that her father appeared in a picture of a group of cyclists at the CNE. "

Yes, and before that as the butcher delivery boy at Brunswick butchers. I picked up a photocopy of that shot at Toronto Archives when I was over in May. Now I wonder where the awning "Service S Leone..." hung.

My dad was a photographer, as well as getting caught up in other people's pictures. Somewhere in this room is a series taken at a Red Cross Parade at Centre Island in 1943 or 1944. It was a big parade for time and place and in the midst of it was a four-year-old in a homemade nurse's costume pushing a doll carriage.

I guess we all have photos hanging around that have never reached the scanner, no matter how easy it is to put them there.

The Cawthra family thread has been very interesting. I shall pass the comments about them needing a decent history written along to my friends whose interests are more genealogy than photography--though the two intermix awfully well.

The Cawthra family thread has been very interesting. I shall pass the comments about them needing a decent history written along to my friends whose interests are more genealogy than photography--though the two intermix awfully well.

The Cawthra descendents are, of course, still with us:

Cawthra Burns comments on the Royal Winter Fair:

“I love the pomp and circumstance,†says Toronto's Cawthra Burns, a member of the Royal ring committee (the women who, in heels and gowns, brave skittery Hackney ponies to present ribbons). “I need 10 full-length gowns a year for the fair,†says Burns, who shows her own horse there. “I shop all year. There is nothing more fun than dressing up. But you have to go to small stores. There is, of course, nothing worse than showing up in the same gown as someone else!â€

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/article794824.ece

cawthraburns.jpg

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 06: CCI Entertainment Marketing VP Cawthra Burns and McNabb Roick & Associates co-owner Jeffry Roick attend the reception hosted by W. Bruce C. Bailey in honour of artist Kent Monkman at Bailey Fine Arts on November 6, 2008 in Toronto, Canada.

The Cawthra mansion on Jarvis at Isabella 1919:

cawthra1919.jpg

That was Cawthra Mulock's house - related to the Cawthras, but the son of Sir William Mulock.
UrbanToronto has partnered with Heritage Toronto to capture a moment in Toronto's past. On a weekly basis, we will both be highlighting a historic photo of the city's people, places and events, and will be telling the stories behind them.

Many thanks to both Gary Switzer of MOD Developements and Maya Bilbao for putting together the photos and research.

This week's photo:
cawthramansion.jpg

CAWTHRA MULOCK HOUSE

The home of Cawthra Mulock was one of the great mansions that once lined Jarvis Street. Today, only a few remain, but in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, these grand homes defined the elegance that was Jarvis. Along with streets such as Sherbourne, Church and St. George, Jarvis had homes for Toronto’s elite including the Masseys, the Gooderhams, the Mowats, and the Mulocks. Many were designed by prominent architects in the most fashionable styles of the day.

Cawthra Mulock was born into an elite Toronto family, the son of Sir William Mulock, Post Master General and Chief Justice of Ontario. Born in 1882, Cawthra held numerous powerful positions in Toronto as businessman, financier, and philanthropist and was famous for building the Royal Alexandra Theatre, completed in 1907. At the age of 21, Cawthra received a large inheritance after the passing of his great-aunt Mrs. William Cawthra Murray. The inheritance of about $8 million, massive even at today’s standards, earned Cawthra the nickname “boy millionaire†and included a home that had been built for his great aunt on the southwest corner of Jarvis and Isabella.

Erected at a time when mansions were often known by picturesque names, “Northworld†was designed in the early 1880’s by leading Toronto architect William Storm. It rose three storeys designed in brick and cut stone, featuring a porte-cochere and a winding drive way. Here, the young millionaire had a luxurious place to entertain Toronto’s high society. Inside, the home featured two drawing rooms, a ballroom, and a marble conservatory. Behind the building were stables and a garage where Cawthra is said to have kept his treasured Pierce Arrow motor car.

The life of luxury at Cawthra House came to an end when the former millionaire passed away in a New York hospital in 1918, due to complications from pneumonia. As can be seen in this photo, the home was up for sale by 1919 and was sold in 1922 to Dr. Barnardo’s Homes, an organization for destitute children. It was among the first of several Jarvis Street mansions to fall into institutional hands, a move that would forever change the character of the street. Cawthra’s house was later bought by the Salvation Army and demolished in the 1950’s. Today the street character of Jarvis Street has changed dramatically from when it was lined with mansions for Toronto’s “Upper Ten.â€

Sources
http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?BioId=41737
Jarvis Street: A Story of Triumph and Tragedy by Austin Seton Thomspon, P. 170-175
The Face of Early Toronto by Lucy Booth Martyn. P. 57

That was Cawthra Mulock's house - related to the Cawthras, but the son of Sir William Mulock.

True, but was built by his great-aunt (who was a Cawthra) and is identified as such on the Goad 1884 map and by the Heritage Toronto when they refer to it as Cawthra House. Interestingly, Cawthra Mulock's childhood house was actually the mansion to the south.

jarvismap-1.jpg

The Mulock House at 518 Jarvis in 1945 (from Toronto Star Archives, with caption):

mulockhouse.jpg

Caption: 1945 caption: The Mulock Home. The executors of the estate of the late Sir William Mulock have sold his former Jarvis St. residence to the Salvation Army. The Army, it is understood, will utilize the property as a home for girls. The purchase price is not disclosed. Located at 518 Jarvis St., the home has a frontage of 120 feet on Jarvis St., by a depth of 211 feet on Gloucester St. Of brick construction with extensive garage accommodation in the rear, the old home has many large, high rooms, and extensive modernization will likely be carried out by the purchasers to fit it for its new role. Famed for its hospitality in bygone days, the residence was one of the first private homes in the city to have elecric light installed. During the late Sir Wiliam's lifetime it was visited by a great number of people, friends of Sir William in every walk of life. Last Published: 4/13/1945

Last edited:
True, but was built by his great-aunt (who was a Cawthra) and is identified as such on the Goad 1884 map and by the Heritage Toronto when they refer to it as Cawthra House.

You're right, my apologies.

His great aunt was Sarah Ellen Crowther, the widow of William Cawthra (1801-1880), who built yet another ‘Cawthra House’ on the northeast corner of King & Bay, which was demolished for the Bank of Nova Scotia building.
http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119....rval=20&&PHPSESSID=oveevt457204gjes2fr252sdj4

f1568_it0279-n.jpg

cawthramulock.jpg

How over-the-top and nouveau the King/Bay Cawthra House must have appeared in the Toronto of the 1850's. Though neo-classicism was the style of the day, I can think of no other contemporary example of a stone-clad house of this scale. Even odder was the chosen location, as King Street was never really a residential street. In the NE view of the famous 1856 Rossin House panorama, The Cawthra House can be seen peeking out in the centre of the picture amongst its brick-clad neighbours:

1857.jpg

There is also a picture of it in the TPL collection from 1867, when it was still residential:

1867-3.jpg

By the 1897 it was already commercial:

1897-1.jpg

Though some members of the Cawthra family tried to save the house in the 1940's and have it relocated, it was for naught.

VE Day:

VEday-3.jpg

Thanks Mustapha-love Gilead!!

Re: Moppets, I take note of the young child on the right. Appears to be a young Afro-Canadian child. I'd be interested in knowing if any UT'ers know much about the black communty in Toronto at this time-or have anecdotes/links/books of note to share on this topic.

With Toronto's early Black community centred around the area of king/sumach, the presence of this little child has piqued my curiousity of this fascinating and important part of Toronto's early history. I did read KAren Smardz-Frost' s I’ve Got a Home in Glory Land that provides additional details (and what-if's) on Thornton and Lucie Blackburn's influence (who lived at Eastern and Sumach) as escaped slaves in early Toronto

I was having some difficulty understanding the placement of the main entrance to the "popular" Cawthra House (King/Bay NE corner) until I realized that the Toronto Public Library images were reproduced in reverse.

CawthraHouseimages.jpg

Inspired by thecharioteers 1856 Rossin House view of York street, I scooted over to the Toronto Archives website and found this expandable map. I think it's new... I haven't seen it before. Some technical wizards at the Archives have outdone themselves; you click and click again to zoom in and use the cursor to move about. It's like having a full size map of 1857 Toronto in front of you.

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/images/zoom_s0088_it0013.htm

Inspired by thecharioteers 1856 Rossin House view of York street, I scooted over to the Toronto Archives website and found this expandable map. I think it's new... I haven't seen it before. Some technical wizards at the Archives have outdone themselves; you click and click again to zoom in and use the cursor to move about. It's like having a full size map of 1857 Toronto in front of you.

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/images/zoom_s0088_it0013.htm

Thanks for finding that wonderful resource for us.
I was particularly interested in two opposite corners of that map.
In the north/east corner, I found what would become the junction of Broadview, Danforth and an entrance to the Don Valley Parkway.
The south/west corner of the map reveals the site of today's CNE grounds.

A great map in which to study details!

Attachments

• concession line road.jpg
    concession line road.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 565
  • CNE site.jpg
    CNE site.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 606

Back