791     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 956     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 959     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

And looking east from Jarvis.

ser71_s0071_it10265.jpg

It looks in this photo as though the TTC used to install temporary tracks when they were repairing the main track. I have seen this in Europe (Amsterdam) but never here in Toronto. If they still did this it would certainly cut down on bus replacement service and be far better for customers - though doubtless cause problems for the track crews.

It looks in this photo as though the TTC used to install temporary tracks when they were repairing the main track. I have seen this in Europe (Amsterdam) but never here in Toronto. If they still did this it would certainly cut down on bus replacement service and be far better for customers - though doubtless cause problems for the track crews.

But it sure would be nice getting off a streetcar right onto the sidewalk!

Some poor city worker with a camera was doing overtime on the 24 Dec 1929.:)

The snow scenes are the best. Not that many big cities can have to cope with snow and traffic problems on an annual basis. But I haven't seen any pictures of the Big Snow of 1944. For those of you who can't remember, it happened getting on for exactly 65 years ago this week.

Then and Now Toronto: Always interesting!

Mustapha,Charioteer and Adma: More neat Toronto pics from the past!
I will mention:
12/11-I noticed the two Pontiacs myself-the only way to see two of these side by side today would be on display as a car show...
12/12-Track reconstruction for streetcar/trolley lines can be a major undertaking...it seems that the TTC has done well keeping them in good shape..
12/12: I like that 1960 pic with that 1957 Chevrolet in the intersection-I believe the taxi is a 1956 Chevy...Stumack: What is facing the camera
at the intersection in traffic? It looks famaliar but...
LI MIKE

Some poor city worker with a camera was doing overtime on the 24 Dec 1929.:)

The snow scenes are the best. Not that many big cities can have to cope with snow and traffic problems on an annual basis. But I haven't seen any pictures of the Big Snow of 1944. For those of you who can't remember, it happened getting on for exactly 65 years ago this week.
"Unidentified parking lot after a snow storm - December 11, 1944"
f1257_s1057_it0085.jpg

Mustapha,Charioteer and Adma: More neat Toronto pics from the past!
I will mention:
12/12: I like that 1960 pic with that 1957 Chevrolet in the intersection-I believe the taxi is a 1956 Chevy...Stumack: What is facing the camera
at the intersection in traffic? It looks famaliar but...
LI MIKE

I think that's a Plymouth Fury...not sure what year though, '59 maybe?
I think the Taxi might actually be a '55 (the chrome line went further forward later on) (edit: on closer look, it is a '56, it's just missing the rest of its trim)

Last edited:
The cab is a '57 Chevy as well - it has the low-line "150" series trim, while the one in the intersection is a Bel Air. The car facing the camera is a '59 Plymouth. There's a '57 Lincoln (with stacked headlights) tucked in behind the Plymouth, and the car moving out of the frame on the left is a '53 Mercury.

Thanks, Anna, for the pic of the 1944 snow. I didn't realize quite how close the anniversary was.

Now, who can find the photo of the streetcar lying on its side? This was the memorable pic from that day.

From the same series in the Archives. It is stated that 22.5" of snow fell within 36 hours during that storm:

storm.jpg

storm2.jpg

One thing to note about the photo (because there's been debate over when it started): it's evident from the overhanging light in the distance that Jarvis already had its metered middle-lane arrangement by 1960...

I didn't realize there was any debate. Wouldn't the fifth lane have been implemented when the street was widened and the trees cut down for the Clifton Road extension (i.e. Mount Pleasant) in the late 40's, early 50's?

"Unidentified parking lot after a snow storm - December 11, 1944"
f1257_s1057_it0085.jpg

I wonder where this was? That building at 1:00 o'clock seems familiar...

One thing to note about the photo (because there's been debate over when it started): it's evident from the overhanging light in the distance that Jarvis already had its metered middle-lane arrangement by 1960...

That middle lane is a joy to drive when folks aren't paying attention.

December 13 addition.

Then: More Jarvis - this time looking S from Queen. November 1960.

The more I see these 60s era photos of Toronto, the more Volkswagen Beetles I see. I suppose our dads and moms were a thrifty bunch. My folks drove a Ford Zephyr, an English Ford. It hated the cold.

ser372_ss0100_s0372_ss0100_it0335.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSC_0009-1.jpg

Moss Park has an interesting history, evolving from the 19th Century estate of William Allan, to the rather lifeless park and banal armouries that exist today. But in between the demolition of the original Allan estate in the early 1900's and the urban renewal of the 60's there existed a diverse, vital community with shopping on Queen Street, a mixture of housing on Jarvis, George, Shuter and Sherbourne and an active park in the centre.
East half of the present park:
mosspark3-1.jpg

The park (1922):
mosspark1922.jpg

1926:
1926.jpg

thecharioteer, wwwebster... How close did I get?

Now: December 12 2009.

DSCF1327.jpg

Down boy.
DSCF1328.jpg

Back