News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

A neat 4-page article from the March 1898 issue of The Canadian Engineer:

https://archive.org/stream/canadianengineer05toro#page/n327/mode/2up

Thanks for that 'neat' link, wwwebster.

I was surprised by the "horse power hour" term in that article.

horse power hour.JPG

Attachments

• horse power hour.JPG
    horse power hour.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,736
"It also sounds like Ontarians' propensity to underpay for hydro has a long history here."
chriskayTO.

"Power at cost."
Sir Adam Beck.

Regards,
J T

Nash Snack bar.jpg

Summary: The body of William Edward Nash, aged 64, was located inside the Nash Snack Bar, which William Nash also used as his principle residence. William Nash operated a snack bar and previously a Supertest Gas Station on the east side of Kennedy Road, approximately 300 metres south of Highway #7, in the Village of Unionville. Evidence at the scene indicated that William Nash was the victim of a robbery as the contents of his snack bar had been removed. Witnesses at the time of the original investigation stated that William Nash was alive on Saturday June 23, 1956, between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. and that various noises were heard in and around the area of the Nash Snack Bar, after approximately 10 p.m. An autopsy determined that William Nash died of blunt force trauma to the head. - See more at: http://www.yrp.ca/coldcases.aspx#sthash.wwhE0wZD.dpuf

Attachments

• Nash Snack bar.jpg
    Nash Snack bar.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,723
View attachment 42818
Summary: The body of William Edward Nash, aged 64, was located inside the Nash Snack Bar, which William Nash also used as his principle residence. William Nash operated a snack bar and previously a Supertest Gas Station on the east side of Kennedy Road, approximately 300 metres south of Highway #7, in the Village of Unionville. Evidence at the scene indicated that William Nash was the victim of a robbery as the contents of his snack bar had been removed. Witnesses at the time of the original investigation stated that William Nash was alive on Saturday June 23, 1956, between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. and that various noises were heard in and around the area of the Nash Snack Bar, after approximately 10 p.m. An autopsy determined that William Nash died of blunt force trauma to the head. - See more at: http://www.yrp.ca/coldcases.aspx#sthash.wwhE0wZD.dpuf

"... east side of Kennedy Road, approximately 300 metres south of Highway #7, in the Village of Unionville."

Went to Google street view again for this one. Not much there now - a plaza with a Beer Store, if my distance estimating skills are any good...

Went to your link and read the other cold cases. The series of unsolved early 70s crimes against girls and young women - these made an impression on this teenager at the time and still resonate. I was one of the militia guys searching the fields around Richmond Hill and Aurora for Cheryl Ann Hanson.

On occasion when I'm driving by on Wilson, or at night, I think about this case:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/09/01/a_relentless_hunt_for_elusive_clues_in_1973_slaying.html

Last edited:
"... east side of Kennedy Road, approximately 300 metres south of Highway #7, in the Village of Unionville."

Went to Google street view again for this one. Not much there now - a plaza with a Beer Store, if my distance estimating skills are any good...

That's 'new' Kennedy Road aka the Unionville bypass. You want what is now called 'Main Street Unionville'.
https://goo.gl/maps/m6y1S

Yesterday's Toronto Star Business section had an interesting article about the Marshall Mattress Company and a photo of their plant on Lombard Street. The photo and article are not on Star website yet but until they are here is a before and after photo of the building. The building on the left was the City morgue and the Mattress Factory was in the building to its east. I am not sure if this is the same building with a new façade but here it is in 1936 and 2014 ...

Lombard 1936.jpg
Lombard-2014.jpg

I now found the photo from Star - on the Company's website

Lombard3.jpg

Attachments

• Lombard 1936.jpg
    Lombard 1936.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,639
  • Lombard-2014.jpg
    Lombard-2014.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Lombard3.jpg
    Lombard3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,439
Last edited:
" I am not sure if this is the same building with a new façade but here it is in 1936 and 2014 ... "
DSC

Yes, and presently owned or managed by Allied Properties REIT.

"Isn't that a horse watering-trough in front of the morgue?"
Prof Goldie.

A dead give-a-way, Professor; a dead give-a-way.

Regards,
J T

and the set of chains on the drive wheels of the truck.
I remember my dad had a set but never saw them on the car itself....
not sure when they were banned from city streets in Toronto......

What is going on here?

TN Gerston's General Dry Goods Store 1038 Queen W. 1915.JPG

Attachments

• TN Gerston's General Dry Goods Store 1038 Queen W. 1915.JPG
    TN Gerston's General Dry Goods Store 1038 Queen W. 1915.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 1,073
"What is going on here?"
Prof Goldie.

At the least, we are aware of the first name for one member of the occupying family.

Regards,
J T

Back