News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 589     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I believe that "1974" was in error, with 1964 being a more plausable date due to the restoration/rebuilding

of the St Lawrence Hall for the 1967 Centenary.

Regards,
J T

The Tely.. take those dates with a grain of salt; I believe any dates floating around re: the pictures have more to do with the date the pictures were transferred to York for archiving.

This photo from the Archives is dated 1978-79.
s1465_fl0302_it0002.jpg

BMW 2002; always wanted one as a kid. Will get one eventually.

"And didn't the Tely shut down in 1971?"

Toronto Telegram:
October '71.

Toronto Sun:
November 1/'71.

Regards,
J T

"And didn't the Tely shut down in 1971?"

Toronto Telegram:
October '71.

Toronto Sun:
November 1/'71.

Regards,
J T

ASC06605.jpg

All: My humblest apologies! I should have known by the fact that no one was still wearing fedoras (at least not at King & Jarvis) in 1974......

Last edited:
Re: the fruit stand in the St. Lawrence Hall. Prior to its restoration for Centennial, the Hall acted as part of the North Market:

ASC06610.jpg

January 19, 1962:

Image of members of Toronto's Board of Control walking in front of the St. Lawrence Hall building of the St. Lawrence Market.

I really don't like the fact that the door closers are on the outside of the main portal.

(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Re: the fruit stand in the St. Lawrence Hall. Prior to its restoration for Centennial, the Hall acted as part of the North Market:

ASC06610.jpg

January 19, 1962:

Image of members of Toronto's Board of Control walking in front of the St. Lawrence Hall building of the St. Lawrence Market.

I must check the York Telegram fonds; they're adding pictures; this wasn't there a year ago when I last looked. This is a great one.

"Then" would be more like c1915; the entire King + Yonge pre-WWI skyscraper cluster is there already.

"And cars in the street, too - wouldn't that be after 1900?"
QUOTE Prof Goldie.

The Canadian Pacific Rail Building - 1913. (s/e, Yonge & King.)

The Dominion Bank Building - 1914. (s/w, Yonge & King.)

The King Edward Hotel addition dates from 1921.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

ASC06610.jpg

January 19, 1962:

Isn't that the same/similar sign that's on the south market now?

Back