News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I've been visiting the recently created, 'Vintage Toronto' site on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-Toronto/256041347799190
me and all :D

the exposure they got via the toronto star has helped immensely

and with so many, many people on facebook, VT cannot help but garner submissions of old photos from people who otherwise would have no incentive to publish them

which will benefit us all, i think

one major issue with such a large and rapidly growing collection is a satisfactory search interface

i'm not really as interested in viewing photos by time period as by geographic location

Hi, I have a couple questions that I need answers to so that I may do future Then and Nows. :) Thanks in advance for your consideration and time taken for research.

*958 Broadview Avenue - Estonian House - is built up and around a mid or late 1800s building - likely an old school from the looks of it. You can see quite a bit of the old building from the sides. Anyone know the history of this old building?

*Alexander Street Baptist Church - what was the # address?

Thank you.

Browning Avenue; sorry, I'm not able to get a picture of the closed off subway stairs leading down from the sidewalk on the northeast corner of Yonge and Queen. The steel grid defies my efforts to get a picture in focus. One of those inspection cameras that plumbers have would be handy...

Hi, I have a couple questions that I need answers to so that I may do future Then and Nows. :) Thanks in advance for your consideration and time taken for research.

*Alexander Street Baptist Church - what was the # address?

Thank you.

35 Alexander Street

1892:

atlas-r-303.jpg

Two views by James Salmon. 1952 and 1954 (TPL):

pictures-r-3457.jpg

pictures-r-3456.jpg

pictures-r-5657.jpg

And from the York Archives, a series of photos showing the demolition of the Alexander/Wood/Yonge/Church block for the City Park Apartments, 1954:

Looking west towards Yonge and the "St. Charles" clock tower:

asc03364.jpg

Looking east to the radio tower at the CBC on Jarvis:

asc03366.jpg

Looking south:

asc03363.jpg

asc03365.jpg

1955 construction:

asc03367.jpg

Ten years later, the north side of Alexander, Village Green under construction:

asc03374.jpg

Last edited:
35 Alexander Street

1892:

atlas-r-303.jpg

Two views by James Salmon. 1952 and 1954 (TPL):

pictures-r-3457.jpg

pictures-r-3456.jpg

And from the York Archives, a series of photos showing the demolition of the Alexander/Wood/Yonge/Church block for the City Park Apartments, 1954:

Looking west towards Yonge and the "St. Charles" clock tower:

asc03364.jpg

Looking east to the radio tower at the CBC on Jarvis:

asc03366.jpg

Looking south:

asc03363.jpg

asc03365.jpg

1955 construction:

asc03367.jpg

Ten years later, the north side of Alexander, Village Green under construction:

asc03374.jpg

thecharioteer, do you mean to mock me with your thoroughness? :)

Thank you! I will hustle and attach a Now picture to this as soon as I can, likely tomorrow.

Two more, Mustapha, from:http://ve.torontopubliclibrary.ca/toronto_sanctuaries/alexander_street.html

Alexander Street Baptist Church was built in 1867 on the south side of Alexander Street between Yonge and Church streets for approximately $10,000. This modest church with seating for 480 parishioners was noted for its missionary work. As with the Jarvis Street Baptist Church, the Alexander Street congregation grew out of the earlier Bond Street Baptist church. By 1886, the parishioners, dissatisfied with the Alexander Street building, decided to build a new church and sold the Alexander Street church to the Anglican Church in 1888. The church was demolished in the mid 1950s when the south side of Alexander Street was razed for the City Park apartment complex.

1_alexander_st_baptist.jpg
3_alexander_st_baptist.jpg

Another image is on the left. The congregation eventually moved to the new Immanuel Baptist Church, which stood at the NW corner of Jarvis and Wellesley until demolished for the Plaza 100 Apartments in the 60's.

immanuel_church_p1_2.jpg

POSTCARD-TORONTO-JARVISSTREET-FROMIMMANUELBAPTISTCHURCH-c1910.jpg

Last edited:
"958 Broadview Avenue - Estonian House - is built up and around a mid or late 1800s building "
QUOTE Mustapha.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1942:

City limits. (East York)

958 Broadview Avenue:
Chester Public School.

970 Broadview Avenue:
Hastings Dairy.
* Leonard Hastings.

972 Broadview Avenue:
Broadview Poultry Farms and Grocery.
* Bairstow Chas E.
* Atkinson Aurthur.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1925:

970 Broadview Avenue:
Todmorden Public School.

972 Broadview Avunue:
Linden Dairy.
Leonard Hastings.

974 Broadview Avenue:
Marett Wm D - grocery.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"958 Broadview Avenue - Estonian House - is built up and around a mid or late 1800s building "
QUOTE Mustapha.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1942:

City limits. (East York)

958 Broadview Avenue:
Chester Public School.

Regards,
J T

Bingo, that's it. Another Then and Now pair. Watch for it in Dec 2012 in this thread.

Bingo, that's it. Another Then and Now pair. Watch for it in Dec 2012 in this thread.
If memory serves correct, the 958 Broadview school was the first school in what became EastYork. I believe there is some info on the,,,oh wait. I was going to say EastYork school board's website! Maybe the TDSB has it now, thanks Mel.

If memory serves correct, the 958 Broadview school was the first school in what became EastYork. I believe there is some info on the,,,oh wait. I was going to say EastYork school board's website! Maybe the TDSB has it now, thanks Mel.

Yep, TDSB...

"The original Chester School was built in 1890 and was situated on Broadview Avenue near Pottery Road. It was called Don Mills Rd. School until 1927 when the name was changed to Chester."

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/schools/?schno=1118&schoolId=1004

Then and Now for April 23.

Then. 35 Alexander Street. Alexander Street Baptist Church. Built 1867. TPL picture taken 1954 just before demolition.

pictures-r-3456.jpg

Now. April 22, 2012. Number 35 doesn't exist anymore. There are two apartment buildings, numbers 31 and 51 and this space between them,. so here you go. :) I also used thecharioteers's map; this Now location is midblock; same as the church's location on the old map.

DSC_5191.jpg

Many thanks to thecharioteer for his assistance for todays Then and Now.

Please scroll back to page 572 for his very comprehensive post on this lost church.

Last edited:

Back