News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Straw boaters. I really wish that would come back, along with the whole garish Edwardian summer outfit. It would make summer seem more sophisticated.

Well, fedoras have come back; so much so that knockoffs are being sold in Chinatown and Kensy Market. I can't carry one off but the young men who wear them seem to pair them with Red Wing boots, which adds up to a pretty cool look.

That old picture reminds me of a film set:

'Silence'

'Sound'

'Roll-ing'

'Background'

'And,.. 'action'.

'Cut'

'Checking the gate'

and, at the end of a long day: 'That's a wrap'. :)

The architect C. J. Gibson was apparently a hard-working guy, according to the DoAC. He did the Merchant's Bank on Dundas at Roncesvalles, less successful imo. losttoronto blog says this is where the Boyd gang got started!

MerchantsBankCanada2.jpg

http://archives.cbc.ca/society/crime_justice/topics/543/

Then and Now for April 2.

Then. 'Oct. 15, 1934. 786 Dundas W.'

476.jpg

Now. October 2011. Sorry, late in the day as well as late in the year; the shadows are quite long..

477.jpg

At lest two buildings across Dundas are still there (78 years later).
I wonder if that's the same brick wall in the foreground.

At lest two buildings across Dundas are still there (78 years later).
I wonder if that's the same brick wall in the foreground.

I *believe* it is.. 786 Dundas W was where I placed myself to take the picture and - there - was the brick wall. :)

love that building. I went to a rave there one hallowe'en night years ago, called "Samhain Wasteland" (pt. 2) - the sequel to a a rave that was put on in the Wellington Destructor building a year or two before. Both were terrific events, both broken up by the police (and fire department in the case of the first one due to excessive pyrotechnics)

The gas plant party was hilarious - there was an overturned school bus parked in the cavernous main room and they had the DJ booth set up around that - the bus was lit with patio lanterns on the inside. They had a green room off to the side with an enormous fruit and vegetable buffet. When the cops from 51 division showed up they were quite decent about the whole thing, gave us time to get out of there without a fuss, even commented on how extensive the decorations/food was.

I have a little chuckle whenever I see 51 Division living in that building now, they must've liked the look of the place!

love that building. I went to a rave there one hallowe'en night years ago, called "Samhain Wasteland" (pt. 2) - the sequel to a a rave that was put on in the Wellington Destructor building a year or two before. Both were terrific events, both broken up by the police (and fire department in the case of the first one due to excessive pyrotechnics)

The gas plant party was hilarious - there was an overturned school bus parked in the cavernous main room and they had the DJ booth set up around that - the bus was lit with patio lanterns on the inside. They had a green room off to the side with an enormous fruit and vegetable buffet. When the cops from 51 division showed up they were quite decent about the whole thing, gave us time to get out of there without a fuss, even commented on how extensive the decorations/food was.

I have a little chuckle whenever I see 51 Division living in that building now, they must've liked the look of the place!

Great story bigdaddyhame; reminder to self; must attend a 'rave' sometime. :)

Then and Now for April 4.

Then. Heya everyone. Here's something a little more recent. Sherbourne and King NE corner. 1980-ish.

480.jpg

Now. October 2011.

482.jpg

Contrary to popular belief, the facade of the n.e corner bank building is not stone but is rather concrete/brick,

unlike the s/e corner building which is stone/brick. (With a da*m poor "restoration sandblast" job.)

Regards,
J T

The former photo may be more 1990ish than 1980ish--or, whenever CIBC actually started to use "CIBC" as a logo...

Filling for Long Island Mike .... the photo can't be any earlier than 1987 based on the Chevy Caprice taxicab at the right of the photo. 1987 was the first year that GM cars had the composite single glass headlights, which replaced the two individual halogen lamps. There also appears to be a late 1980s Oldsmobile parked just up the street.

The rear part of this bank suffered a "bus-t in" as the Sun described it when a TTC bus lost control and crashed into the building in 1980.

Back