1.2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"We need to have a UT picnic or gathering at the Guild Inn some day."
QUOTE Mustaphs.

May it be in June?

Regards,
J T

Then and Now for March 26.

Then. 134 King Street E. c1919. 'Market Branch of Imperial Bank of Canada Toronto. Charles Cobb, Architect.'

461134KingStEastc1919.jpg

Now. September 2011. St. James Park.

462.jpg

Last edited:
That horse trough/drinking fountain (or one like it) was on Jarvis, w/s, south of King Street for many a year.

Regards,
J T

That horse trough/drinking fountain (or one like it) was on Jarvis, w/s, south of King Street for many a year.

Regards,
J T

You beat me to it. I was going to ask about it as it was in a previous post. Didn't it have more to it though?

"Didn't it have more to it though?"
QUOTE BeeRich.

In what way? It was a horse trough, streetside, and drinking fountain, sidewalk side.

Regards,
J T

"Didn't it have more to it though?"
QUOTE BeeRich.

In what way? It was a horse trough, streetside, and drinking fountain, sidewalk side.

Regards,
J T

I thought it went up higher in the back side. I also remember being two versions, but very similar.

I take it Mr. Cooper has a 'thing' for abandoned rail right-of-ways. Ah, the passions of the rail buff..

Yes, Mr. Cooper was very helpful when I needed info on the abandoned CNoR line thru Scarborough.
He also added this bit of info to our correspondence - it may interest some UTers:

"The Toronto Belt Line. It only operated for two years from 1892 to 1894.
It had an eastern and a western section. The bridge over the subway at Davisville was part of it, and that section of the Belt Line remained in service so that the red Gloucester subway cars could be delivered to the Davisville yards. Not to be confused with the onetime TTC Belt Line.
This was a steam railway and the fare was a nickel a station. Way ahead of its time.
I don't know whether you remember a track across the Bayview Expressway near the brick works - that was part of the alignment as the line descended down through Moore Park. The right-of-way there is a bicycle trail now."

By the way, a gathering at the Guild Inn is a fine idea.

"I thought it went up higher in the back side. I also remember being two versions, but very similar."
QUOTE BeeRich.

Could be. (LOL)

There is another pic of (another?) trough n/e corner of Spadina & College.
(Sorry that I am of little help.)

Regards,
J T

"I thought it went up higher in the back side. I also remember being two versions, but very similar."
QUOTE BeeRich.

Could be. (LOL)

There is another pic of (another?) trough n/e corner of Spadina & College.
(Sorry that I am of little help.)

Regards,
J T

s0376_fl0002_it0049.jpg

Does anyone know what year Vaughan Road was actually cut off from Eglinton? I really don't have any idea but sometime in the 1950s "feels" right... what do you think?

5456093577_dd789ffba5_z.jpg

"the 1950s "feels" right... what do you think?"
QUOTE Lone Primate.

If I remember correctly it happened during the 70's, with it as an "imposition" for southbound travellers being directed to use the entwinement of

streets to the east of Dufferin Street, south off of Eglinton Avenue west, especially for the tenants/owners/St Hilda's Church-goers, at that time.

The resulting northern terminus, (Northcote? & Eg) not so bad.

Regards,
J T

Then and Now for March 26.

Then. 134 King Street E. c1919. 'Market Branch of Imperial Bank of Canada Toronto. Charles Cobb, Architect.'

461134KingStEastc1919.jpg

Now. September 2011. St. James Park.

462.jpg

A glimpse of said bank can be seen on the left:

kingjarvisfire.jpg

Which replaced an earlier building on this block:

kingchurch1904-1.jpg

Which framed this:

stjames1923.jpg

1892:

atlas1892.jpg

Last edited:
judging by how warm march was, june will be too hot

weren't we also going to go excavate some aircraft parts by the wicksteed cp level crossing?

One other caveat, especially if we're talking June: It CANNOT be on a Saturday, or we will be constantly shooed away from the architectural bits by wedding photographers and wedding parties. I was there in October, and even then the place was crawling with 'em.

Back