News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 320     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 875     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

What a smart outfit on such a sweet boy. Perhaps he's a distinquished gentleman-about-town nowadays.. :)

Donlandsrailing.jpg

Yes, Mustapha, there's no doubt in my mind that this "sweet boy" (who's posed in front of his birthplace) is now a mature, wise and handsome gentleman who has a unique interest in Toronto history.

Donlandsrailing.jpg

Yes, Mustapha, there's no doubt in my mind that this "sweet boy" (who's posed in front of his birthplace) is now a mature, wise and handsome gentleman who has a unique interest in Toronto history.

Lived there how long Goldie? House was bought and sold for$$$? I have a few photo's from my mother-in-law from the 30's and 40's when she lived on Torren's and what they called North Logan. Definitely living in suburbia back then.

Then and Now for Oct 12.

Then. 'Dufferin Display Ltd., neon sign manufacturers, 918 Dufferin. and Cinderella Shoe Dressings, 914 Dufferin, west side. 1953.'

211dufferindisplayltd918dufferin.jpg

Now. May 2011. Parking lot of Dufferin Mall.

212.jpg

Donlandsrailing.jpg

Lived there how long Goldie? House was bought and sold for$$$? I have a few photo's from my mother-in-law from the 30's and 40's when she lived on Torren's and what they called North Logan. Definitely living in suburbia back then.

I lived there for my first 21 years.
My parents bought the place when it was built - c.1930? Yes, real suburbia in the 1930/40s.
I've often thought of visiting the "land titles office" to find the original cost - I imagine about $3,000.
Too bad those records are not on-line for all of us to access.
My understanding is that the ownership and sales records are only available (on-line) to real estate lawyers.

Donlandsrailing.jpg

I lived there for my first 21 years.
My parents bought the place when it was built - c.1930? Yes, real suburbia in the 1930/40s.
I've often thought of visiting the "land titles office" to find the original cost - I imagine about $3,000.
Too bad those records are not on-line for all of us to access.
My understanding is that the ownership and sales records are only available (on-line) to real estate lawyers.

Great area to grow up , I'm sure you had lots of fun as the well dressed kid you were. That hat is in style at the moment.

Then and Now for October 14

Then. 'May 29, 1946. Steps in front of Masonic Temple. Annette Street.'

215.jpg

Now. May 2011. A steady state of affairs in this part of Toronto. Any Masons here? I was asked, but never joined..

216.jpg

More modern day lunacy! These steel railings when having rusted, will crack & destroy the concrete work into which

they have been embedded. A better present day solution would be to install stainless rod secured by an adhesive* into

the concrete work and then fasten the "iron work" with the use of a nutted flange. In the past, this work was designed

and carried out by those that "knew why" and did it. I dare to say that every apartment building in this city has had to replace much of their

balcony railings due to this "Modern Engineering" BS.

*Or expanding S/S stud or shield.

End of rant.

Regards,
J T

I read somewhere that in decades past, salt was added to concrete mixtures in the coldest weather to avoid freezing and let the concrete set. The 'payoff' now is apartment balconies crumbling - we've seen quite a bit of capital intensive balcony replacement work going on around the city these few years..

"salt was added to concrete mixtures in the coldest weather to avoid freezing and let the concrete set."
QUOTE Mustapha

It was more than likely calcium chloride but the railings were embedded in the balcony proper, resulting in

the ever expanding rust which destroyed the base slab.

BTW, concrete mix really does not "set" or "dry", rather it "cures" due to a chemical action after it is "placed",

28 days being the optimum time, and should be kept moist to allow for proper cure.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Then there are plastisizers, high early strength, hydraulic, etc, etc.

Bear in mind, mortar is not concrete.

Then we come to DELVO!

DELVO retards the chemical reaction so that the mix may be "saved" for the next days job

or even have an entire load mixed at the end-of-shift, to be run-out the next AM.

Regards,
J T

"The 'payoff' now is apartment balconies crumbling - we've seen quite a bit of capital intensive balcony replacement work going on around the city these few years."
QUOTE Mustapha

The real CIBR is in the below grade parking areas where salt residue, melting from autos, contacts the unprotected, unsealed

garage floor & ramp areas. Prime example of this was seen at the N/E corner of the Church & Front street condos a couple of

years past. Not only was the cost of the work high, the commercial paid parking area was must have suffered greatly; condo

owners replaced paid public parking revenues for the operator. Another seemingly ongoing problem for those two ajoined

buildings was/is the deterioration of the brick lower walls due to the application of salt to melt snow/ice. I suppose that the

management company never have heard of calcium chloride/ice melter; penny-wise, pound foolish.

End of rant II.
(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Back