News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Yes, I believe there was nothing but a few farms and branches of the Don River (in deep valleys) between Leslie and Victoria Park.
There was certainly no Eglinton Ave. at Don Mills Rd. when IBM was built in 1951.

I found this picture in a set described as "Ravine on Don Mills Road at Eglinton Avenue East" - 1956. I have no idea where the same view would be now.
s0065_fl0127_it0010.jpg

There are a whole bunch of photos on the Toronto Archives website - Fonds 220; Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto fonds - Series 65; Metropolitan Toronto Planning Department Library collection of Alexandra Studio photographs - showing all the road-building and road-widening that was going on in the 1950's - including the various pieces of the Eglinton extension.

Thanks to Mustapha, Anna and brewster for those photos.
It's an area dear to my heart.
Here's the official auto-procession during the opening of Eglinton just east of Leslie (date unknown).

Attachments

• Eglinton opening - Don Mills.jpg
    Eglinton opening - Don Mills.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 345
I found this picture in a set described as "Ravine on Don Mills Road at Eglinton Avenue East" - 1956. I have no idea where the same view would be now.
s0065_fl0127_it0010.jpg

There are a whole bunch of photos on the Toronto Archives website - Fonds 220; Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto fonds - Series 65; Metropolitan Toronto Planning Department Library collection of Alexandra Studio photographs - showing all the road-building and road-widening that was going on in the 1950's - including the various pieces of the Eglinton extension.

I just type in "Scarborough" or "Eglinton" or "Yonge Street" when I search the archives. Is there a better way Anna? For instance , I thought I had every picture of Scarborough then I saw the one posted here of Lawrence , Zion Wexford church. Any tips would be appreciated.

I just type in "Scarborough" or "Eglinton" or "Yonge Street" when I search the archives. Is there a better way Anna? For instance , I thought I had every picture of Scarborough then I saw the one posted here of Lawrence , Zion Wexford church. Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm not sure that series has been indexed yet. There are no descriptions, as in 'buildings, construction..." I was looking for the Brentcliffe/Eglinton photo, which I knew was there but could not find it. I had to drill down from the List of Digitized Photos by series - 808 records to browse - which is a great way to burn some hours. There are a bunch in "Series 65" that have not been scanned/uploaded yet - places near and dear to my heart. I'll just have to wait
http://www.toronto.ca/archives/digitised_photos_list.htm

In the mean time...

This is the extension east from Brentcliffe under construction.
s0065_fl0133_it0007.jpg

Looking the other way back to Leaside – sorry no Phillips sign yet
s0065_fl0138_it0005.jpg

No clue
s0065_fl0119_it0001.jpg

Bridge over the CN railway tracks near Wynford Drive
s0065_fl0119_it0004.jpg

I think this is over by Victoria Park/Jonesville looking west
s0065_fl0138_it0009.jpg

I think this is at Victoria Park but I’m not sure – note that Eglinton is referred to as the Crosstown highway
s0065_fl0138_it0012.jpg

It looks like a highway here
s0065_fl0138_it0018.jpg

Thanks to Mustapha, Anna and brewster for those photos.
It's an area dear to my heart.
Here's the official auto-procession during the opening of Eglinton just east of Leslie (date unknown).

Goldie's shot is taken from the rail overpass looking east, on the south side of Eglinton across from what is now a Toyota dealer (formerly the Inn on The Park)

The other shot is taken from the south west side of the Don river, facing north east towards what is now the rail overpass. There is a bus stop and a stairway down into a parkinglot in a now shot of the same view.

s0065_fl0127_it0010.jpg

Anna, you've been providing some great views of the Eglinton project.

I think this may be the modern view of the one above - if that's Don Mills Rd.

oldDonMillsRdcaption.jpg

The description says "File consists of 11 photographs of ravine lands on the west side of Don Mills Road, south of Eglinton Avenue East".

Another one
s0065_fl0127_it0001.jpg

But this is also in the set – and that house looks like something over near Sloane.
s0065_fl0127_it0004.jpg

The description says "File consists of 11 photographs of ravine lands on the west side of Don Mills Road, south of Eglinton Avenue East".

Another one
s0065_fl0127_it0001.jpg

But this is also in the set – and that house looks like something over near Sloane.
s0065_fl0127_it0004.jpg

Great set. Too bad you can't just type in Series 65 and get all the results.

Great old maps!
I think I found a recognizable site - IBM wasn't built until 27 years later:

mapEglintoneast1924.jpg

"I think I found a recognizable site - IBM" QUOTE Prof Goldie.

THiNKPAD FOREVER!

(Goldie, you knew that I would say that!)

(LOL)

Regards,
J T

NOPE! IBM no longer makes them, have not for a few years now. Thinkpad is now made by Lenovo, a Chinese company that bought all IBM personal computing.

Whether the photo's deceptive or not, that looks like a pretty precarious and foolhardy place to put a house.

s0065_fl0127_it0004.jpg

Back