News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

According to the date stamped on the original slide (which was sold by a friend of mine) it was August 22, 1979, with the photo taken by Robert McMann, who shot thousands of slides of streetcars around the city between 1961 and 1993.

Can you tell us anything about Robert McMann, AlbertHWagstaff?

Then and Now for Sep 22.

Then. Yonge and Albertus. 1916. Another wwwebster sourced picture. This house had by the 1960s been divided into units. It survived until 1970 when the present houses were built. I grew up on Albertus Avenue. Many young women rented here and they used to sun themselves on the lawn. The Yonge street frontage was sold off in about 1924. The stores there now were built in 1925. My gramps bought one of them.

185YongeAlbertusc1909.jpg

Now. July 2011.

186.jpg

Goldie, you've piqued my interest in the Toronto Harbor Commission building. I need to find a reason to get inside to look at the interior details.

from roof of Harbour Comm. Bldg.

Goldie, you've piqued my interest in the Toronto Harbor Commission building. I need to find a reason to get inside to look at the interior details.

Mustapha, While you're in there, please find your way to the roof so that we can have "NOW" photos of these views (attached photos)

Attachments

• Toronto Harbour 1918 - Arthur Beales.jpg
    Toronto Harbour 1918 - Arthur Beales.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 301
  • Toronto skyline N. from Harbour Comm Bldg. 1928.jpg
    Toronto skyline N. from Harbour Comm Bldg. 1928.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 313
brewster, your Sep 17 post was a just a great walk thru the 70s and 80s' :) Just great.

Thanks again Mustapha. I figured I would put all my downtown shots out all at once. I have so many Scarborough T/N's I started my own thread. If its ok with you I will post everthing else here except the odd Don Mills shot.

Mustapha, While you're in there, please find your way to the roof so that we can have "NOW" photos of these views (attached photos)

Though keep in mind that the roof of the THC isn't the same (it got a mansard add-on in the 70s/80s)

Then and Now for Sep 22.

Then. Yonge and Albertus. 1916. Another wwwebster sourced picture. This house had by the 1960s been divided into units. It survived until 1970 when the present houses were built. I grew up on Albertus Avenue. Many young women rented here and they used to sun themselves on the lawn. The Yonge street frontage was sold off in about 1924. The stores there now were built in 1925. My gramps bought one of them.

185YongeAlbertusc1909.jpg

Now. July 2011.

186.jpg

Here's the house in 1968 (no women on the lawn):

yongealbertus.jpg

yongealbertus-1.jpg

1913 map (note: house is Lot 42 and there is no Duplex Avenue yet):

albertus1913.jpg

1924 (Duplex has arrived and the Yonge frontage has been built upon):

albertus1924.jpg

1950's map (Albertus is the first street on the south):

albertusmap.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again Mustapha. I figured I would put all my downtown shots out all at once. I have so many Scarborough T/N's I started my own thread. If its ok with you I will post everthing else here except the odd Don Mills shot.

More than ok :), altho' permish is not mine to give.

Back