News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 454     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

July 14 addition.

Then. Just for fun. Let's make this thread today a Train Wreck. :) "1.1.1970. Train wreck. Vicinity of Facelle plant Weston."

87TrainwreckvicinityofFacellePlantWeston111970.jpg

Now. April 2011. Sorry about the upper left hand corner; an advertising sign intrudes into the pic and I don't have Photoshop to get rid of it. Would like to get it and learn how to use it... one of my goals in the near future.

Anyways, not many changes over 40 years between the 2 pics. The tissue plant is still there, it's owned by Irving Paper now.

The rail siding is gone, that's nothing new; truck transportation is miles (ha :) ) more flexible and faster than rail ever was.

88.jpg

The rail siding is actually still there, but covered in vegetation.

Also, that unused rail on the very right.. Potential track for the Airport express?

July 14 addition.

Sorry about the upper left hand corner; an advertising sign intrudes into the pic and I don't have Photoshop to get rid of it. Would like to get it and learn how to use it... one of my goals in the near future.

88.jpg

Billboard begone!
Mustapha, may I suggest Photoshop Elements? It's economical and does wonders - I've been using it for more than 10 years.

Attachments

• 88x.jpg
    88x.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 388
H. Salt. Passable fish and chips in my opinion. MY CNE 'fix' is ice cream waffle sandwiches and corn dogs.

Yes, passable. At best. From the retail stores. But, I have to say that the H. Salt F&C that I had in the Food Bldg. sometime back in the 1980s was the absolute worst fish and chips I have ever had. In fact, possibly the worst "food" I have ever had. It was just a lot of batter surrounding some flaccid, tasteless- I won't call it fish, let's call it a "fish-like substance." the whole mess was drenched in horrible old grease. It was like the aftermath of the Exxon Valdez. It was the only food I ever got from the Food Building that I actually had to throw into the garbage bin.

H. Salt. Passable fish and chips in my opinion. MY CNE 'fix' is ice cream waffle sandwiches and corn dogs.

There was an H. Salt at the Bramalea City Centre until fairly recently. Seems to have departed, possibly during the revamp.

Yes, passable. At best. From the retail stores. But, I have to say that the H. Salt F&C that I had in the Food Bldg. sometime back in the 1980s was the absolute worst fish and chips I have ever had. In fact, possibly the worst "food" I have ever had. It was just a lot of batter surrounding some flaccid, tasteless- I won't call it fish, let's call it a "fish-like substance." the whole mess was drenched in horrible old grease. It was like the aftermath of the Exxon Valdez. It was the only food I ever got from the Food Building that I actually had to throw into the garbage bin.

The Ex opens in 5 weeks. Amazing how short our summer is.

Most of the "Famous" names today are the holdouts from a bygone era which were of local ownership.

Come to recall, the only corporate restaurant of note within town of any type/kind, was Fran's.

Question:

How many & where, were the Fran's Restaurants located as their original - Fran Deck Sr operation.?

Regards,
J T

Yonge and Eglinton, on the east side of Yonge, N of Eg, there is a bagel place there now.

Yonge and St. Clair, on the S side of St. Clair, W of Yonge, there is a burger place/coffee shop there now.

Yonge and College, on College, still there. Did I win a frozen shrimp ring?

There was an H. Salt at the Bramalea City Centre until fairly recently. Seems to have departed, possibly during the revamp.

Fish and Chips is good food. It's fallen out of fashion, that's all. York Fish and Chips on Laird Drive is full of gray hairs and their grandchildren. Hopefully the grandchildren will remember and keep the last few establishments going. For my sake. This is not something I want to make at home.

The owner of THE GRAY CUP RESTAURANT located between the two north portals of the Flower Building

once told me that he made more money during "The Ex", than he grossed at his "real restaurant" in the city.

All cash I bet.

And there are the modern-day "designer" F&C outlets like Chippy's or Harbord F&C to consider, too--whatever their merits, they probably affirm there's still a "search for authenticity" taste for whatever's left on Queen *East*, plus Duckworth's, Penrose, and whatever. (And of course, the ol' CFRB-plugged McNie's in Etobicoke--or for more of that authentic Old Anglo Etobicoke tinge, Kingsway F&C)

Mr Fran lived near me when I was growing up. On Hallowe'en he gave out triangular coupons for a free slice of pie at Frans restaurant. I think he gave out candy too, otherwise I would have felt pretty ripped off. My mother still has a coupon or two in the drawer, we never used them. I used to love the lasagna at Frans, the few times my parents took me. I was sad to see the Yonge & Eg branch was gone, but heartened to see the College branch still there, with that fabulous lighted canopy. Now THAT'S the entrance to a restaurant!

The demise of the Fish & Chip "Industry", and it was an industry with two full columns of restaurant listings

in the 1944 'phone book, was due to the Roman Catholic Church reversal? of not eating meat on a Friday.

Most of the "Famous" names today are the holdouts from a bygone era which were of local ownership.

Come to recall, the only corporate restaurant of note within town of any type/kind, was Fran's.

Question:

How many & where, were the Fran's Restaurants located as their original - Fran Deck Sr operation.?

Regards,
J T

Mr Fran lived near me when I was growing up. On Hallowe'en he gave out triangular coupons for a free slice of pie at Frans restaurant. I think he gave out candy too, otherwise I would have felt pretty ripped off. My mother still has a coupon or two in the drawer, we never used them. I used to love the lasagna at Frans, the few times my parents took me. I was sad to see the Yonge & Eg branch was gone, but heartened to see the College branch still there, with that fabulous lighted canopy. Now THAT'S the entrance to a restaurant!

The rounded counters with the stools for single diners at the Yonge and Eg branch... I can still picture them. The crowd of 15 - 19 year old high schoolers playing at sophistication on Saturday nights there.

There was nothing doing at Yonge and Eg in the 60s and 70s... no movie theatres, nothing. The subway ended there and the buses came in from all points so it was a busy traffic area but there wasn't much to do, was there bessmarvin? :)

Back