757     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

A great colour!

Speaking of yellow police cars:

Attachments

• cop and yellow police car.jpg
    cop and yellow police car.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 783
Urban Shocker, Yonderbeam, Anna, thanks for the keen eyes and the correction.:eek: Oy.

Several of those hefty Spadina/King factory and warehouse buildings, built a century ago, look remarkably similar. They formed quite the collective statement when they were built - a bit like our endless "boring glass boxes" condos today - and it's surprising that they rarely get discussed hereabouts given their sheer numbers and how they define the character of that part of downtown.

Pity that people tend to remove the older/original lettering or company names but I suppose it's almost inevitable.

I know what you're saying, but I think that in the end, the exact opposite is true. If you leave old signs intact, than you wind up with the hipster effect of buildings that have signs that say one thing and do the other. The old sign remains as a fossilized, ironic trophy of the past, while something else entirely occupies the building.

And that, to me, isn't totally respectful of the past, or of the building. A building is a living thing, and its at its best when its inhabited and maintained and well looked-after and alive with the energy of today. The past needs to be cherished and honoured, but fixing it in place doesn't honour a building's previous self any more than botoxing the snot out of your face honours your own past.

(Edit: all that said, some signage is too awesome to part with. Would I ever remove the signage on the 'MONO LINO TYPESETTING' building on Dupont? Never in a million years!)

I know what you're saying, but I think that in the end, the exact opposite is true. If you leave old signs intact, than you wind up with the hipster effect of buildings that have signs that say one thing and do the other. The old sign remains as a fossilized, ironic trophy of the past, while something else entirely occupies the building.

And that, to me, isn't totally respectful of the past, or of the building. A building is a living thing, and its at its best when its inhabited and maintained and well looked-after and alive with the energy of today. The past needs to be cherished and honoured, but fixing it in place doesn't honour a building's previous self any more than botoxing the snot out of your face honours your own past.

(Edit: all that said, some signage is too awesome to part with. Would I ever remove the signage on the 'MONO LINO TYPESETTING' building on Dupont? Never in a million years!)

On the other hand....

uniforms.jpg

kingjohn.jpg

sterling.jpg

kingjarvis.jpg

massey.jpg

automotive.jpg

press.jpg

Okay, point(s) well taken. In most of these examples, the signage is literally carved into the building - it's integral to the building itself. (Didn't U of T go mucking with the stonework at the Medical Arts building when they converted it?)

In these cases, the lettering doesn't stand out; it's less a sign than a part of the building itself. The cases that I'm thinking of are the ones where it's a sign that's been preserved.

January 15 addition.

Then: May 12, 1925. Looking N across the eastbound lanes of Lakeshore Boulevard, a few feet to the west of Palais Royale. The old Sunnyside amusement park.

ser71_s0071_it3758.jpg

Now: November 2009.

DSC_0018-4.jpg

As a class, ramped pedestrian bridges are a study in themselves - their existence a tribute to the realization that some people travel in wheelchairs, that not all railway tracks and expressways are easily forded, and that we must accommodate to that. The one across the tracks at Poverty Square - Gerrard and Pape - is my favourite, and offers a great view of the downtown.

York from Osgoode 1927 & 2010

'mustapha' posted this photo on Jan/9 but was unable to get a high angle for the 'Now' version.
I asked a friend, who has access to Osgoode Hall, to take a photo for me.
Here's the result:

Attachments

• York St. TN.jpg
    York St. TN.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 389
Question:

What ever did happen to the spiral iron staircase that went from the third floor

to the roof of the Masey-Harris building? I know that it was not trashed.

While on the above subject, I am also interested in what was the final resting place

of the flywheel for the Corliss steam engine fire pump just west of building 19?

Regards,
J T

Don't know about that staircase but there is a lovely old one in the Vistek camera store on King near River.

As for the flywheel, are the Japanese still buying our scrap metal? It probably wound up in a Nissan.

'mustapha' posted this photo on Jan/9 but was unable to get a high angle for the 'Now' version.
I asked a friend, who has access to Osgoode Hall, to take a photo for me.
Here's the result:

Nothing like having friends in high places.:eek:

January 16 addition:

Then: One of the Toronto archive "Wiley fond" colour pics. Huron street, NW corner at Sussex. Not many building changes on this quiet street. Note the corner building - the "Chelsea Shop".

fo0002_ser0008_ss0004_s0008_ss00-1.jpg

After about 40 years, our dignified doorway is unmussed with. There is still a business within; some kind of office. Our door has acquired a nice patina.

CSC_0027.jpg

January 17 addition.

I hope the site shutdown and relaunch go well. Thanks and Best Wishes to Ed007Toronto and UTers. See you all on the other side.:D

Then: Huron street. Looks to be about 1910ish.

ser376_fl0003_s0376_fl0003_it0008a.jpg

CSC_0024.jpg

Captain John's

Who, among us, remembers when Captain John had two ships?

I think this photo is c.1980

Attachments

• Captain Johns ships.jpg
    Captain Johns ships.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 368
Who, among us, remembers when Captain John had two ships?

I think this photo is c.1980

In 1970, not only did he have only one ship, he hadn't yet recieved his liquor licence!

The reek of rotting dead fish from the harbour however, was a plus. (LOL)

Regards,
J T

It's been quite some time now since the smaller one was sunk...

January 18 addition.

Then: Huron Street Public School. Huron street, just north of Bloor.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0197.jpg

CSC_0025.jpg

Then: Huron Street Public School. Huron street, just north of Bloor.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0197.jpg

CSC_0025.jpg

Strictly from a 2010 perspective, a definite loss, no slur on the replacement. But keep in mind that when it was lost, such fare would have been deemed a horrific, obsolete late-Victorian eyesore, probably even by a few Eric Arthur types out there. So within that time-envelope of relative expendability, well...excusable.

Just saying that because the present-day kneejerk armchair-preservationist Puginesque-contrasting reflex might be to say "shame, shame" at that coupling of images.

Back