News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 587     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

It's a darn shame they weren't able to find the money to extend BD to STC. Since the SRT needs to be shut down anyways it would be the perfect time. I suspect much of the work could even be done using cut and cover since it doesn't run down a road.

Newsflash courtesy of the Government of Ontario: "The Sheppard East LRT from Don Mills station to east of Morningside Avenue... work will begin in 2017 and be completed by 2021." I'm surprised the haters are not dancing in the streets or launching dancing emoticons on this thread. Who thinks the Liberals are going to be in power in 2017?

To vent my frustrations, I talked to my MPP Bas Balkissoon and then created a timeline of SELRT for my blog. I think it's time for a scooter.

Why Toronto Can’t Build Transit

• March, 2007: The SELRT is announced along with 6 other lines by former Toronto Mayor David Miller and then TTC Chair (or is it couch) Adam Giambrone
  • December, 2009: Construction begins on the SELRT and the Conlins Avenue car house that will serve the SELRT, SRT replacement and Eglinton Crosstown lines. The Sheppard East LRT is due to open in 2014.
  • December, 2010: Newly-elected Mayor Rob Ford cancels the SELRT, already tens of millions of dollars into construction believing that roads are for cars. Mayor Ford hires dentist, and former Metro Toronto Chair, Gordon Chong to push for a Sheppard subway extension from Don Mills to Scarborough Town Centre instead.
  • March, 2011: Premier Dalton McGuinty approves of Mayor Ford’s plan to run the Eglinton Crosstown line underground to Kennedy Station at significant extra cost despite available road space. He tells the Mayor to pay for his own Sheppard Subway.
  • January 2012: With no idea how to pay for his Sheppard Subway, Mayor Ford’s own TTC Chair, Karen Stintz, finds enough councilors to support a petition to debate the issue.
  • February 2012: A majority of councilors vote to build the Eglinton, Finch and SRT lines as originally envisioned in the “Transit City†plan. At the same time they vote to send the SELRT plan to a panel of transit experts, including dentist Gordon Chong, to investigate the alternatives.
  • March 2012: The panel finds an LRT line on Sheppard Avenue East, as originally envisioned by “Transit City†to be the most appropriate solution. Dentist Gordon Chong dissents.
  • April, 2012: Metrolinx, Ontario’s transit agency for the GTA and Hamilton, recommends to the Ontario Liberal Cabinet approval for the SELRT. It envisions construction commencing in 2014 and opening for business in 2018.
  • June, 2012: The Government of Ontario announces the SELRT wont begin construction until 2017 to be completed by 2021, fifteen years after its original announcement.

The only certainty that we have is Eglinton. By 2014, another mayor or the same "Ford" can derail the whole thing...again

For those interested, traffic has switched over to the newly constructed roadway under the Stouffville line on Sheppard Avenue.

The only certainty that we have is Eglinton. By 2014, another mayor or the same "Ford" can derail the whole thing...again

Hopefully the province learned their lesson and will wait for direction from Council first. Ford could have easily gotten that vote from council but opted not too; not certain he will get a second chance even if he has a second term.

I wonder who ha lost the most credibility here.

Ford promised to kill Transit City and he did so almost immediately upon taking power. True that he did not play the political game well and it blew up in his face.

Stintz agreed to the Ford plan in 2011 to become Chair, then in early 2012 she made the 3 transit City Projects (SELRT, FWLRT, ECLRT) and SRT the priority. Now mere months later, she changed her mind on SRT and wants B-D extended.

The Province pledges some $12B for Transit City in 2007. In 2010 this is cut to $8B because of the poor economy. In June of this year they approve the 4 projects preferred by City Council and shortly thereafter they delay funding by 3 years.

Yes, I saw the underpass- they are starting to excavate the west bound lanes now west of the GO rail line. Great to see this project slowly come together.

That's not the Sheppard subway or LRT they are talking about though. That's the SRT, where the forecast demand is much higher. Different project ...

Yeah, overall that article is beyond poorly written. It confuses the B-D extension and Sheppard extension as if they're one project with the same goals and same rationale behind them. Piss poor journalism with a tenuous grasp on transit planning issues.

Normal Relief Points

Oh where art thow SELRT:

CoffeeBreakSM.jpg

Dear TTC customer service, I'm inquiring about whether TTC operators are permitted to stop, sometimes two in a row, in order to purchase beverages at coffee shops. My reading of ATU 113 collective agreement suggests no, that they must stop at "location that is within five minutes additional travel time of the normal relief point, and provides washroom and beverage facilities." Still every morning, just west of the Malvern garage, one bus after another is parked at Tim Horton's Sheppard Ave/Shorting Rd, blocking traffic. I assume they are on their way to their routes, but I don't think this is a "normal relief point."

I have watched this trend for two years before commenting, but it is a daily occurrence involving 10+ buses. This morning I photographed two stopped just west of Shorting Rd, blocking traffic for a right turning school bus. Thank you.

Last edited:
No idea when Sheppard Underpass was open for both directions as it was far from completion on Dec 14 when I last saw until last week. Still a lot of work to be done and work should start up in the next month or so to complete it.

8575596907_af082e2b98_b.jpg

8575571505_cc3cf1b1f8_b.jpg

8575596187_97044686bb_b.jpg

Back