News   May 21, 2024
 69     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

I think even without the LRT, Sheppard would've been first to get grade-separated. And it was probably scheduled to be done around the same time...the SELRT just helped with the financing. It's a necessary project and shouldn't be lumped together as sunk costs or waste.

Somewhat o/t, but does anyone know the full cost of that grade-separation? Or if it was wholly funded by the Fed's contribution?

$317 million is coming (or came?) from the federal government. But it would be pretty awkward to argue the federal government is / was only funding a train bridge rather than the Sheppard East LRT. No where in their messaging have I seen the Conservatives promoting their funding of an underpass. By contrast there were many speeches and releases to announce funding for the SELRT.

But I too think the Agincourt underpass is an improvement every time I'm under it. I just wish I was under it on the LRT rather than my car or the bus.

Last edited:
I think even without the LRT, Sheppard would've been first to get grade-separated. And it was probably scheduled to be done around the same time...the SELRT just helped with the financing. It's a necessary project and shouldn't be lumped together as sunk costs or waste.

Considering that the underpass had to be wide enough to accommodate the LRT in addition to traffic lanes, whatever extra money was spend for ROW provisions should be considered a sunk cost.

You might be right. Apparently the grade-separation was $40M (2010). http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-31398.pdf

I guess the Fed funding would still be on the table in that case.

The total cost to the grade separation, including the detour road, is $39,660,300.00, plus HST. TTC’s portion of this total cost is $34,536,403.00, plus HST, and the Metrolinx’s portion is $5,123,897.00, plus HST. TTC funding is available in its 2010 - 2014 Approved Capital Budget and Plan, Transit City - Sheppard East LRT (Account CTT135).

Wow, Metrolinx only paid about 15% for a project that was required for more frequent GO service. Either Metrolinx are better negotiators than I thought, or Metrolinx never truly had any intensions of providing all day frequent GO, or the Mayor was on crack during the negotiations.

Wow, Metrolinx only paid about 15% for a project that was required for more frequent GO service. Either Metrolinx are better negotiators than I thought, or Metrolinx never truly had any intensions of providing all day frequent GO, or the Mayor was on crack during the negotiations.
The 85% paid out by TTC from Transit City - Sheppard East was 100% reimbursedfrom Metrolinx. So Metrolinx paid 100%.

If the city were to cancel the LRT now, then presumably (from the overpass alone) the city would be on the hook for 85% of $40 million - or $34 million.

Grade separations always have municipal contributions.. As it benefits municipally owned roads.
There was no municipal contribution though to this project.

Univerisity of a Toronto Scarborough: Sheppard East LRT has greatest redevelopment potential of all Scarbrough transit options

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...-development-than-subway-study.html?referrer=

This shouldnt be too surprising for anyone familiar with Scarbrough's geography.

Because of the low stop frequency of SmartTrack and Line 2, those lines wouldn't have much developable land to offer us. In the case of Line 2, it's only Sheppard and McCowan and Ellesmere and McCowan

The only other contender for the title, the Scarbrough-Malvern LRT, would have most of its development potential on the third of the route on Markham Road. The route already has relatively dense development on Eglinton Avenue, and development on much of Morningside would likely be prohibited due to the parkland in the area.

The SELRT and SMLRT (along with SLRT and SmarTrack) also brings 25% of Scarborough residents and most Scarborough businesses within walking distance of rapid transit.

Univerisity of a Toronto Scarborough: Sheppard East LRT has greatest redevelopment potential of all Scarbrough transit options

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...-development-than-subway-study.html?referrer=

A) The existing Sheppard line should probably be converted into an LRT. Perhaps when Eglinton is completed people will come to their sense and not freak out at the concept of converting a Subway to an underground LRT.

B) What about Scarborough Town Centre? I truly think that the subway extension is as much a way of making STC a veritable node than it is moving Scarborough residents to and from downtown. If all those LRT proposals would be built (Option 3 in the report) instead of just the Line 2 Extension and SmartTrack, STC would inevitable continue to stagnate and probably degrade as Kennedy would become quite the transit hub with Line 2, SmartTrack, Eglinton LRT, and Morningside LRT all intersecting.

\

No!

We need to extend the Sheppard Subway because Scarborough Town Centre and transfers suck!

(Sarcasm)

JayBee, why the cowardice? If you have something to say to me you could simply direct it at me, we are already on the internet you could literally quote me with two clicks. I guess that wouldn't give you the same thrills you get when you're catty on message board, ahh well..

How would the subway affect STC any different than the LRT?

Would Line 2 Extension not pass directly through it? That would connect all of Toronto's 'Places to Grow' with each other within the subway system, whereas Option 3 only has the Malvern LRT going to it.

Back