News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

For the second time in a month, I boarded a GO bus in Peterborough on a Saturday morning, only to discover that the Presto machine wasn't working. The driver was just waving passengers on; he couldn't read Presto cards or print tickets for those boarding with cash. (The ticket window in the Peterborough bus terminal was not yet open, so any people have to buy their tickets from the driver.)

We got free rides to Oshawa. Is this sort of thing at all common? Is it getting worse? Does the driver have to get permission to just let people on? I presume he would have to report what's going on...

For the second time in a month, I boarded a GO bus in Peterborough on a Saturday morning, only to discover that the Presto machine wasn't working. The driver was just waving passengers on; he couldn't read Presto cards or print tickets for those boarding with cash. (The ticket window in the Peterborough bus terminal was not yet open, so any people have to buy their tickets from the driver.)

We got free rides to Oshawa. Is this sort of thing at all common? Is it getting worse? Does the driver have to get permission to just let people on? I presume he would have to report what's going on...

I experience it on about 5% of GO bus trips on the shuttle from Aldershot to Hamilton, which I use about 3 times (round trip) a month. However they may not care much about that route because PRESTO considers that a free trip if you transfer form the train.

Extry, extry, read all about it:

PRESTO, new fare gates coming to St Clair Station

April 14, 2016

St Clair Station is getting PRESTO and new accessible fare gates as part of the TTC's transformation and modernization efforts around a more convenient fare payment system for its customers. Work will be staggered at the station's four entrances in the following way:

St Clair Centre entrance

Work will begin on April 15. This entrance will be closed from 6 p.m. on April 15 until 6 a.m. on April 18.

During this time, customers must enter the station either through the Scotiabank entrance at 1 St Clair Ave. E., the station's main entrance off St Clair Ave. E., or through the Pleasant Blvd. entrance.

Scotiabank entrance

Work at this entrance will begin on April 29 and will be closed from 7 p.m. until the middle of May.

When it re-opens, customers will no longer be able to buy or use tokens at this entrance. It will only be accessible by PRESTO card or TTC passes. Customers using tokens, tickets or cash must enter the station through the station's main entrance, St Clair Centre entrance or through the Pleasant Blvd., entrance.

St Clair main entrance

Work will begin on May 9. From that date until the end of the month, customers will not be able to buy TTC fare from the collector booth. They will only be able to access this entrance with a token, ticket, TTC pass or exact cash fare. Customers who need to purchase TTC fare, must go to the St Clair Centre entrance across the street.

Pleasant Blvd. entrance

Work will begin on May 12. This entrance will be closed from 7 p.m. until the beginning of June. During this time customers must enter the station via the main entrance off St. Clair Ave.​

April 14, 2016

St Clair Station is getting PRESTO and new accessible fare gates as part of the TTC's transformation and modernization efforts around a more convenient fare payment system for its customers. Work will be staggered at the station's four entrances in the following way:

St Clair Centre entrance

Work will begin on April 15. This entrance will be closed from 6 p.m. on April 15 until 6 a.m. on April 18.

During this time, customers must enter the station either through the Scotiabank entrance at 1 St Clair Ave. E., the station's main entrance off St Clair Ave. E., or through the Pleasant Blvd. entrance.

Scotiabank entrance

Work at this entrance will begin on April 29 and will be closed from 7 p.m. until the middle of May.

When it re-opens, customers will no longer be able to buy or use tokens at this entrance. It will only be accessible by PRESTO card or TTC passes. Customers using tokens, tickets or cash must enter the station through the station's main entrance, St Clair Centre entrance or through the Pleasant Blvd., entrance.

St Clair main entrance

Work will begin on May 9. From that date until the end of the month, customers will not be able to buy TTC fare from the collector booth. They will only be able to access this entrance with a token, ticket, TTC pass or exact cash fare. Customers who need to purchase TTC fare, must go to the St Clair Centre entrance across the street.

Pleasant Blvd. entrance

Work will begin on May 12. This entrance will be closed from 7 p.m. until the beginning of June. During this time customers must enter the station via the main entrance off St. Clair Ave.​

I think this is the biggest one they've taken on so far and will really show off the new gates more than Main Station is.

I experience it on about 5% of GO bus trips on the shuttle from Aldershot to Hamilton, which I use about 3 times (round trip) a month. However they may not care much about that route because PRESTO considers that a free trip if you transfer form the train.
The Peterborough-Oshawa run is around a twelve-dollar fare, so they should care about it. People got on at the intermediate park-and-ride stops as well.

April 14, 2016

St Clair Centre entrance

Scotiabank entrance

St Clair main entrance

Pleasant Blvd. entrance

Finally. I often forget to bring tokens or cash when I use this station so I end up having to walk to the nearest streetcar stop to board with Presto and enter the station.

All remaining Non Presto equipped stations will now get Presto via the new fare gates. Once the entire subway system is Presto enabled, the original Presto stations will then be converted to fare gates. We're about to see many more of these fare gate installations roll out simultaneously. I believe Bay is also slated to start this month.

Last edited:
We're about to see many more of these fare gate installations roll out simultaneously. I believe Bay is also slated to start this month.
Bay has already started - at least at the Cumberland entrance. As has Sherbourne. Wellesley is supposed to be under construction too. So that's four at once now.

Bay has already started - at least at the Cumberland entrance. As has Sherbourne. Wellesley is supposed to be under construction too. So that's four at once now.
Wellesley is all board up. People have to exit through the bus roadway.

The main entrance of Bay is already started too!

Looks like St.Clair West will also receive a fare-gate facelift this month. From Mihevcs newsletter,

PRESTO Installation at St. Clair West Station
April - May 2016
New modern fare gates with PRESTO and Metropass access are coming to St. Clair West Station. Construction is set to begin in the middle of April and end in the middle of May. During this time the turnstiles will be replaced with paddle-style gates that swing open when you tap a PRESTO card or swipe a Metropass, creating an unobstructed path into the station. You will still be able to use cash, tickets and tokens at the station, but you must use these at the collector booth aisle at our main entrance.

Exact construction dates will be shared in the coming weeks. To learn more about PRESTO visit www.ttc.ca/presto.

Looks like St.Clair West will also receive a fare-gate facelift this month. From Mihevcs newsletter,

PRESTO Installation at St. Clair West Station
April - May 2016
New modern fare gates with PRESTO and Metropass access are coming to St. Clair West Station. Construction is set to begin in the middle of April and end in the middle of May. During this time the turnstiles will be replaced with paddle-style gates that swing open when you tap a PRESTO card or swipe a Metropass, creating an unobstructed path into the station. You will still be able to use cash, tickets and tokens at the station, but you must use these at the collector booth aisle at our main entrance.

Exact construction dates will be shared in the coming weeks. To learn more about PRESTO visit www.ttc.ca/presto.

I wonder if they are timing it to finish with the elevator project as well

They're finally going to update prestocard.ca this fall.(hopefully it's easy to navigate).
Also PRESTO readers will begin to be installed on buses by the end of this month(Brad Ross tweeted this out, but can't find the tweet). Beginning with Queensway garage which houses buses for routes such as 192 Airport Rocket (see here for more route details http://transit.toronto.on.ca/bus/8301.shtml)
Screenshot_2016-04-20-16-45-34~01.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-20-16-45-34~01.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-20-16-45-34~01.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 442
New website. Cool! I saw mock-ups for it a year or two ago, and the navigation did appear to be much simpler - much less clicks.

AWhen it re-opens, customers will no longer be able to buy or use tokens at this entrance.
The clock on discontinuing the tokens starts!

This is the first time tokens has intentionally been discontinued at any subway entrance I know of.

Who wants to start a deadpool on the TTC tokens?

Back